Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It is most likely nothing but Ouch!

Yesterday I had planned to return to work but when I woke up, I had a little pain in one of my incisions. A few hours later, it got so that I could not sit. I could only lay one one side. It is still here today and I wonder if I pulled something. I am 13 days out and never really had pain except for the staples.

I can push on it and it is only a little tender but something about sitting and standing makes it hurt. What would it feel like if I overdid it?

I'd be inclined to ring your surgeon just to check up on it.....I get an odd twinge in my drain one but nothing bad enough to make me concerned.

Good luck

And way to go with your weightloss!! Well done

Kathy

I've had the same thing at two weeks then at 4 weeks. Certain twists or getting up the wrong way and the pain was really bad for about 6 days then it leaves. I think it is something that I pulled like an inside stitch or muscle. I met someone who had the same thing she said don't worry it all went away. I don't know if this is what ur experiencing or not. Do let ur Dr. know. and let me know how u r.

It never hurts to talk to your surgeon just to be sure ... but, I think many of us experience this type of pain around 2 weeks out. I was told that it was due to severed nerves repairing themselves - mine was around the largest incision.

Let us know how you are doing.

I have had a bad day with my big left incision, similar to that. In fact, most days by the end of the day the big one on the left is usually hurting a bit and my side is a bit tender. The large one by my belly button is also rather tender, but just the incision.

All the other incisions haven't really bothered me at all.

If it continues to bother you or if something just doesn't seem right, definitely let your surgeon know. That's what they're there for ;)

When I went in for my second post-operative appointment, I told the doc that everything was great except for the one incision on the left - the largest one. And that it was still tender and hurts sometimes. He said, "well it should be tender, you had a hole there the size of a quarter and that's where I took your stomach out. It's just going to take longer for that spot to mend."

I don't know if that's the answer for you, but yours sounds much more painful than mine. I agree with the others that you should call your doctor just to be sure.

I called this morning and was told that I most likely overdid it. She gave me a few suggestions for relief that I hope help because I can't spend all day laying on the couch.

Hope you get to feeling better soon zephra, and let us know what if anything works!

I think the problem is that after the first week, we begin to feel so good we think we are able to do most of the things we are used to doing. I really pushed the envelope getting in the pool. My steri-strips weren't completely off when I decided to go ahead and swim a little. I usually am very religious about sticking to whatever my doc tells me to do. Could be why it took longer to heal that one spot than it should have.

Some of the things you probably shouldn't do for a while are sweeping and vacuuming. It is very easy to overdo it when you begin to feel good. After the first week, I felt really great, except for the tenderness and pain right around the biggest wound.

Pampering yourself more than usual is smart because you don't want to pull anything or cause adhesions or scarring that might give you problems later. It's only for a few weeks and then you'll be good to go!

I had this same thing about 2 weeks out, and so did my husband a few days ago (he's 2 weeks behind me) - we were told it is the scar tissue on the inside of the incision... that the interior of the incision is bigger than what you see on the outside and the scar tissue builds up against the abdominal wall, and if you move a certain way you can pull it away from the abdominal wall and that causes the pain. Feels like a pulled muscle!! For me it lasted about 2 weeks off and on... now I only feel it very little once in a while. Sitting was the worst during the bad part of it.

This is what it was for me and they said nothing to be concerned with, it's a natural thing that happens and you just have to wait it out - but of course you should check with your Dr to be sure!

Also my friend who has bypass 7 years ago just did the same thing - she had to get a CAT scan because from her pain they thought it might be a hernia or a tumor or something - but it turned out to be pulled scar tissue just like this. So I guess it can happen at any time even a long while after surgery.

I got sleeved on June 8th and still my largest incision is hurting terribly. I was wondering if something was wrong. I think after reading all the posts on yours it seems it is common. My doctor told me it is okay since that is the area that took the brunt of the bruising. I have to take my liquid vicodin every few days still. I try not to but somedays it is aweful and I have a 2 year old! Hope it gets better soon for us all:smile1:

Yesterday I had planned to return to work but when I woke up, I had a little pain in one of my incisions. A few hours later, it got so that I could not sit. I could only lay one one side. It is still here today and I wonder if I pulled something. I am 13 days out and never really had pain except for the staples.

I can push on it and it is only a little tender but something about sitting and standing makes it hurt. What would it feel like if I overdid it?

if you move a certain way you can pull it away from the abdominal wall and that causes the pain. Feels like a pulled muscle!! For me it lasted about 2 weeks off and on... now I only feel it very little once in a while. Sitting was the worst during the bad part of it.

That makes a lot of sense for me..... thanks!

I called this morning and was told that I most likely overdid it. She gave me a few suggestions for relief that I hope help because I can't spend all day laying on the couch.

Hey Zephra,

Just curious who did your surgery, and what the suggestions for relief was. Thx,Sheryl

Doctor Davidson did mine and I talked to office that I overdid it and pulled something. They said childrens Ibuprofen followed by a glass of Water. It took the edge off but it still hurts bad. I have an open house to do today and am not sure how I will get it done. I am thinking tight support garments to hold everything in place.

My dr said the same thing. At about 2 weeks out, adhesions (scar tissue) has formed to the point that you can feel it "pull" sometimes when you move your body certain ways.