Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is there any post-op sleeve patient who's having a hard time with BM post-op. I?ve always been one to go at least twice a day and then came the VSG and everything seems to change. I couldn?t remember having a BM for the last 4 days and then came day 5 and it hit me at last. How much Fiber is enough, I take about 2 table spoons almost every day. I was really starting to wonder if something was wrong somewhere in there because that?s has never happen to me before.

I am having the same problem....I havent started fiber supplements yet, but I may. I am 12 day post op and had bm's on days 6 and 7, but nothing in the last 5 days. I havent even felt like i needed to go....today, I kinda feel like something might happen, but no such luck yet!! LOL

Best of luck to you....

My thought was - you are eating less so it takes more days to fill up the "tank" and then empty : )

I was a once a day, every morning bm'r (LOL) before surgery. Post-op, initially I was going once every 4 or 5 days, sometimes more than once on that special day. Now, I don't keep track but can usually tell when I am getting due to go. I haven't had to take any stool softeners - only once I think right after surgery. I bought benefiber and hated it. I haven't done anything special and all systems are working well : )

If you are still taking pain meds, those will tighten things up and make it harder to go.

i was always every morning like clockwork, even during my liquid pre op -post op another story. I take fiber choice, they are chewable fiber pills made from fruits and vegetables, started out eating one for a while, now i chew 2 a night and i go every morning. I think they taste good, kinda like a treat.

Edited by sleevegenie

Pre-op I would go once a day, maybe twice. NOW, one time a week. So weird. I'm not taking anything yet, but I've heard about people taking a sip of MOM once a day and I think I may start that.

Same problem here...I got realllly backed up once and had to take something to clean out. I am trying to drink more and focus on fiber. I only have BM 1-2 times a week. And to me that is just not enough. Every day I feel things moving, but I guess not enough. I think I'll try those fruit/veggie pills. I hope they don't taste like crap like most things I try in chewable form.

I really like them, i took them for years, then i started eating a lot of brown rice and no longer needed the added fiber but once i got constipated post op decided to try them again. I would recommend you start out with one a day and see how you do,, i eat two every night and think they taste good. Best of luck. I get them at Walmart, aslo gotten them from target,,

I had a sigmoid colectomy a few years ago and since then I have had to use Miralax occasionally. It has no taste and works very gently and quickly for me. I never even notice that I have taken something, it just works.

I agree that I seem to think it has something to do with eating less. But I have found a trick that works for me. On Saturdays I drink a cup and a half of coffee and it absolutely helps with the process. I am not sure why that is but my nutricianst seems to believe that coffee can ate as a stimulate.

Wow, we are all so diffirent! I developed diarrhea soon after coming home from the hospital. Once I started pureeds and quickly moved to softs (per my postop diet) things leveled off and I actually feel pretty regular right now. I've been going once a day, maybe once every day and a half at the most. I hope it stays this way but I was told to take a stool softener if I got constipated, like miralax or dulculax.

However, when things get stuck, I prefer natural methods like foods that move me EVERY time. Do you like collard greens? You can try drinking the liquid part from the cooking process if the leaf part is too much for you. (This is fondly known as pot liquor for those of you'll not raised in the South). I have never eaten collard greens and not have something coming racing out by the next day! :)

BTW, collard greens are chocked full of Vitamins that promote healing after surgery.

Edited by educationrulz
added info

I have had an occasional problem since surgery so began using the powder form of fiber sold in the drugstores in my coffee in the am and I also take a few fiber tablets each day. It seems to help

Good luck and if it doesn't improve you should definately talk to your dr.

Diane

my friend who had vsg got backed up and then had to go to doctor, it was because she wasnt getting enough liquid, and that made her stop going. so whenever I think I am i start drinking more Water.< /p>

I've had problems pretty consistently. I was told to sip on Milk Of Magnesia in those early weeks. That definitely works but I totally can't stomach that stuff anymore. Just thinking about it makes me want to puke. It got to the point where I had to take a stimulant laxative a couple of times. I'm doing better now that I've begun eating some veggies and salad but when I think about it I add some Miralax to my smoothies.< /p>

I tried taking Colace pills but that did nothing for me.

If I notice I haven't gone in days and days, then I will take a dulcolax to get things moving.

There is totally not even close to enough Fiber in my diet!

i was always every morning like clockwork, even during my liquid pre op -post op another story. I take fiber choice, they are chewable fiber pills made from fruits and vegetables, started out eating one for a while, now i chew 2 a night and i go every morning. I think they taste good, kinda like a treat.

I am gonna try this...thanks Genie for sharing!!

Karen

I've had problems pretty consistently. I was told to sip on Milk Of Magnesia in those early weeks. That definitely works but I totally can't stomach that stuff anymore. Just thinking about it makes me want to puke. It got to the point where I had to take a stimulant laxative a couple of times. I'm doing better now that I've begun eating some veggies and salad but when I think about it I add some miralax to my smoothies.

I tried taking Colace pills but that did nothing for me.

If I notice I haven't gone in days and days, then I will take a dulcolax to get things moving.

There is totally not even close to enough fiber in my diet!

Hey goodlife, you are sooo right about that! Not near enough fiber in my diet. I probably dont drink enough Water either, but it is hard....I never thought I would say that I couldnt drink enough water....lol

I am drinking all day, but I just dont think it is enough....