Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Coops: But where else would you vent about these frustrations if not here? At least the rest of the folks that are sleeved understand! If you suspect you aren't eating enough, you likely aren't. I was AMAZED by how much effort it took me to consume my calorie goals. I would have to track out my menu at the start of the day and force myself to eat four meals so that I could get it all in. For a time there, I felt as though I was eating sunup to sundown and I was definitely sick of it.

It's not the best or healthiest method, but I've since switched to two real meals a day and a high calorie coffee drink, tea drink or Protein smoothie every morning. It helps me consume a lot of protein and a bunch of calories all at once. This way, I feel less pressure to eat and I don't hit ten pm with only four hundred calories in my system.

You really should track your intake for a day or two, just to see where you're at.

I do love my sleeve, though. I've never complained about having to eat or reach calorie goals before, that's for sure!

~Cheri

Thanks Cheri,

I think you're right... I will defo have a look and track it for a day or so... are you on a three meal a day type-thing... that is what my surgeon has told me to do with no Snacks, but I notice on here there are a lot of sleevers who eat 5-6 times a day... it can be way confusing...lol

and now another vent... my bloody ticker doesn't work properly... I lost a pound this week and sooooo want it to show...hahahaaaa

Coops go on myfatsecret.com with me! Good for losing a pound! I have to say my consultant and nutritionist told me not to snack but i find it easier having 6 small meals or else i feel really week and tired

I am so excited have a ton of energy feels soo great to lose 50 pounds already! In the 2 months since surgery. Hope everyone is doing great!

Coops, I personally feel the same way as Cheri....and do/did experience the slow loss due to low intake of cals. When I up my cals, the weight comes off. I suggest you increase fats to get the higher cal count, rather than carbs. Keep track, and let us know what happens, k?

Cheri, sounds like things are going well for you too! I'm so pleased! I had a good week this week, 5 lbs. I've been hovering at about 3/week for the last few weeks...so I was happy to see the increase. I've started with my personal trainer (I hate him) :-) 2 days after my 1st workout I sat down on the toilet and could not get back up LOL, funny yes, but not really....

I'm back to the gym tomorrow morning 6am, (I think i must be sick in the head). Hopefully it won't be as bad as the first time!!!

Hope everyone has a great week.

Hey Everyone! It's been a while since I've posted here. Glad to see everyone is doing well for the most part. I have been a slow loser but I am losing so I can't complain! I actually gained weight this week for the first time. 1.6 lbs I think. That kicked my butt into gear and I joined a gym. I am already 4lbs down since Wednesday so inactivity was definitely my problem. I've lost about 22 lbs since surg which was a little over 7 weeks ago. I just wanted to check in with you all. Hopefully school will take it easy on me so that I can find more time for VST! Probably not though lol. Take care!

Just thought I would give a little update on here...

three months exactly today; I weighed and this week...(drum roll please)... I am down 4lbs....yey!!

Glad to see that as it sort of makes up for the slow weeks.

I took the advice and started to track my food and the first day I noticed that I only ate 535 cals... and that was with 2 hours of exercise... I increased my calorie content, felt much better and had a good weight loss this week.

Not sure it will continue at this pace, but thought I would let you all know and thank you for the good advice ... x

Down 1.8 pounds this morning, last time I weighed myself was two days ago. I'm not freaking out anymore. At least for now... :thumbup1:

I had a back injury that's severely limiting my ability to exercise. I got an MRI yesterday morning that didn't show anything like a herniated disc, so the doctor thinks it's soft tissue damage, but the bad news is that there is a significant amount of arthritis in my lumbar region, so the chronic stuff isn't going to get better.

All I can think, right now, is that I'm way too young to have this much arthritis--I'm only 35! And the first arthritis showed up in my neck in my early twenties! On the other hand, it's a lot more bearable when I'm not dragging all that extra weight around, so I REALLY have a lot of motivation to keep the weight off permanently. I'm down 60 pounds, and only 40 more to go to my target weight. I may have to go easier on the walking/running thing, but I'll just take up swimming again. My gym has an indoor pool. I'll manage.

Has anyone found themselves having issues with depression? For the last two weeks I have been feeling down and angry. I was losing weight like crazy but I'm the same weight I was three weeks ago now. I don't eat breads or Pasta and I pretty much stay clear of sweets. What is wrong with me!! I feel so mad at myself. I am trying to look at the whole picture since I lost so much so fast at first but honestly you would think the low carb diet would help me lose weight let alone having wls too!

Edited by mellifrits

Honestly, sometimes I feel like I'm living in a dream and I can see reality "just over there," but I can't quite feel it yet, or join it quite yet. That's me adjusting to the difference all this weight loss has made in my life. This not-quite-in-focus feeling is strongest when I wake up in the middle of the night for some reason, and I'm only about 25% awake--talk about trippy!

I feel like I'm literally reinventing myself, my own self-identity, or at least learning to react appropriately to the way others perceive me now that I'm a significantly smaller person and still shrinking...learning who I am, and how much what makes me me is going to change over the next few months and years. I don't feel like I'm going through any depression, but sometimes it seems like all of my perceived reality is just slightly askew, like I'm trying to watch 3-D without the glasses, as I'm adjusting to and getting to know this new me. I'm guessing that at some point everybody pretty much goes through this same thing; they just express it differently. And that for some it might cause depression, especially if they're not into the whole self-analysis thing (who really is, anyhow?). So many changes--even really, really positive ones like VSG surgery--do cause a lot of stress, and it takes adjusting to.

I'm starting to develop this theory that we just have to learn to cut ourselves some slack and realize that things are going to be in a state of flux probably for the first year post-op--that things are going to make us mad, sad, deliriously happy, depressed...you name it, sort of like grieving for the death of someone we loved dearly. Because who we were is gone for good, no matter what.

Edited by WildIris

Wildiris, I loved your post! I personally beleive you are right on!

Mellifits, don't dispair. I went through a stall of about 2.5 weeks, then it finally broke, 3 weeks ago. I lost 3lbs, the first week, 3lbs the 2nd week and 5lbs the third week, then last week, nothing. I got my period on Friday, so I'm thinking that for 1 of the 4 weeks a month, the scale will not move for me, which is fine, cause I know the inches are still moving. Remeber, the scale is not the only instrument we use to mark our losses...stay strong and stay on track!

Cheri, *hugs*. Thanks for the email.

Hope everyone else is great!!!

I had my surgery on July 13th and I am down about 75lbs since my first visit to the surgeon in late April (15 lbs pre-op and about 60 lbs since surgery).

I definitely feel that I am battling depression at this point which seems crazy to me since I have done so well with weight loss. What I have come to believe is that since the surgery and all the eating changes that it requires, I have lost the number one tool that I had for coping with pressure, sadness, lonlieness etc -- food. When my wife died almost 4 years ago at the age of 41, I was really overwhelmed at the prospect of raising my three children on my own. Whenever I felt sad, lonley or angry, I think I numbed my pain and hurt with food. I gained about 30 lbs following my wife's death and I suppose I should count my blessings that it wasn't more. Anyway, now that I don't have the comfort of food, I find myself facing these feelings almost as if I am dealing with them for the first time and it really sucks.

I've decided that I need to talk to a counselor about these issues and I am going to make an appointment to see someone tomorrow. I want to feel as good on the inside as I am starting to feel on the outside and I want to move on with my life.

Brian

First of all BIG hug!!!!!! I am so sorry that you are struggling. I can't imagine going through all of the big life changes that you have in such a short time. I can relate to what you are saying about losing your coping mechanism (food). I was talking to someone the other day and told them that this surgery had kind of taken the fun out of eating for me. It no longer feels comforting to stuff myself. I actually kind of miss stuffing myself on pizza - sounds kind of dumb, I know.

My husband of 25 yrs left me for a newer model and both of our kids are now in college. There are lots of evenings when the lonliness could easily drive me straight into the chip bag. This doesn't even come close to having a spouse pass away, but I do know how mean lonliness can be.

I am proud of you for deciding to talk to someone about what you are feeling. You are in your 40's and have alot of life ahead of you. You are also on your way to a healthier body to live it in. I sincerely hope you can find peace in your journey. I think there are many here including myself who would love to be there to support you. Don't hesitate to lean on us - you are part of our family now :)

I had my surgery on July 13th and I am down about 75lbs since my first visit to the surgeon in late April (15 lbs pre-op and about 60 lbs since surgery).

When my wife died almost 4 years ago at the age of 41, I was really overwhelmed at the prospect of raising my three children on my own. Whenever I felt sad, lonley or angry, I think I numbed my pain and hurt with food. I gained about 30 lbs following my wife's death and I suppose I should count my blessings that it wasn't more. Anyway, now that I don't have the comfort of food, I find myself facing these feelings almost as if I am dealing with them for the first time and it really sucks.

Brain,

it sounds to me that your comfort blanket has been taken away from you... and that now, 4 years later not only are you dealing with the loss of your wife, but also the loss of the old 'you'! You have taken a remarkable step forward to get the sleeve and you are now seeing the benefits of a healthier lifestyle.

I don't have any words of wisdom, or any advice as I can not even imagine how you are feeling... but... I want you to know that you will get through this; you and your children... lots of love to you all

Brian,

I'm wondering how your appointment went. I have never buried a spouse, but I did bury a child. There are a few losses that are different than others because they're so unexpected, and these are two of the big ones.

I understand the depression. You've made a major life change after experiencing a major life upheaval. I'll be 11 years out from my daughter's death in December. I can tell you that right around the four/five year mark I was wondering, "Why the hell don't I feel normal again yet?"

It takes time. A long, long time. It gets easier year by year, as I'm sure you already know, but the loss is still there. Losing someone you care about deeply, who you thought would be with you the rest of your life, is a terrible shock. It takes us a long time to cope and move forward. In my experience, you aren't the same person on the other side, but it is possible to be happy again and to live a good life.

I noticed that only a few people chimed in after your post. It's not because nobody cares - it's because it's hard to talk about. It makes people uncomfortable. I'm sure you've experienced the loss of friendships because people don't know how to treat you afterward, or the awkward conversations because people just don't know what to say. That's better than the people that mean to comfort you but instead say something totally thoughtless or inconsiderate. Nobody wants to think about losing people they love. Bereaved people are big reminders of our mortality. It's also hard to know what to say. It's far too easy to say the wrong thing, so often people won't say anything at all. Besides, what could anyone say that would really be adequate?

If you haven't already, my recommendation is that you find a support group. While a counselor is a great tool to use in healing, what helps the most is talking to people that have experienced the same thing. It's all to easy to dismiss a counselor or therapist that says, "It will get better with time" when they have a living spouse and healthy children. Talk to people that understand. If you don't want to do it in person, do it online with a bereavement message board. Talking about everything will make you feel better.

I'm no doctor and I don't know you personally. But if you're anything like me, you shelved the work of grieving and now that you're "fixing" your outward appearance your emotional needs are begging for attention. I hope that like I did, you'll find support and comfort talking to others with your experience. I needed support for about eight months. After that, I noticed that I was attending not because I needed to talk about my child, but because I wanted to comfort and reassure other bereaved parents. It truly was a rewarding and healing experience, and I don't think I'd be as "together" as I am today if I hadn't put in the time to grieve that way.

Best of everything to you. Congrats on making a decision to better your own life and to make the most of living. Just don't forget that once all the weight comes off, you'll still be who you are inside. Work on both things, and make this a new you, fresh start, life makeover.

~Cheri