Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

July 2006 Band Crew

mbprn- I watched alot of Simply Quilts on HGTV and then I just tried it. I can't make other things like clothes and stuff just quilts. It has been awhile since I made one but I can try to help you. Email me if you want and I will try to answer your questions. baylor_mom@yahoo.com

I've never tried quilting and I don't sew, per se...I own a machine and I sew on my scrapbook layouts! Yes, I sew on paper...it adds a great dimentional touch to the layout.

I'd love to see pics of your quilts, Beth! Post when you figure it out :)

Why are so many of these post having surgery in Mexico? Aren't there enought US Dr.'s to do it? Or is it that insurance wont pay and Mexico is cheaper??

Why are so many of these post having surgery in Mexico? Aren't there enought US Dr.'s to do it? Or is it that insurance wont pay and Mexico is cheaper??

I was banded in the US but, for those who have been banded in Mexico.. Most were denied from the insurance and were self pay. It is far more cheaper to be banded in Mexico. Not to mention Mexico docs have been doing the surgery a hell of a lot longer than the docs in the US.

JMO :) congrats on your weightloss! You have done so good!!!! If you need a fill, then get the fill don't wait longer than six weeks. Keep up the good work!

I pay Anthem BC/BS 615.00 per month for just my husband and myself. When I contacted them they said if you gain 30 pounds and do 6 months of supervised dieting we might cover. We MIGHT cover. I said forget it and went to Mexico because there it is 8500.00 for everything, here I checked with 3 doctors and the cheapest being 18,500.00 double the price and you can't get any better care here in the U.S. than what myself and Amy got in Mexico.

I think that is why more have gone to Mexico on the poll than in the U.S. 2 of the Doctors I called were over 23,000.00. Boy, somebody is making the bucks.

I wondered the same thing about so many people having the surgery in Mexico. Seems like on TV there are many news shows reporting plastic surgery nightmares in foreign countries. In Canada this procedure is not covered under most plans. The cost of the banding in Ontario is $16000 and covers 5 years worth of fills. That's just over $14000 US. Seems like most people who had the surgery in Mexico have done well though. Maybe the news anchors are running these nightmare stories in hopes that people will stay and have the more expensive surgery in the US!!!

I'm BAaaAck! Missed you all. Ok so these past couple days I was out of town with my Hubby and daughters at a big Water park. We ate out, rented movies, shopped, it was so much fun. My band did what it was supposed to do and I wasn't able to eat nearly as much as I used to. But I have to admit it kind of bummed me out because I wasn't able to just eat and enjoy myself. I had to think about every bite I put into my mouth. It was kind of annoying lol. I had my first stuck experience on soft fish no less! I rushed into the bathroom and nearly pb'd, but was able to stop at a bit of sliming and foaming. Thank goodness because im such a baby about throwing up. So far I haven't thrown up since I had my band. I just had to keep reminding myself that this is the adjustment phase of my band, and im learning what I can easily eat and what I cannot. I also tried to eat Breakfast this morning like scrambled eggs and melon and strawberrie but.. low and behold im tight in the morning and again got kind of a stuck feeling after about 3 bites. Since my surgery Ive only eaten Protein Shakes or cream of wheat for breakfast that is pretty watered down with milk. I realized about myself that I am a horrible eater when on vacation! The band did its job though and didn't let me get too crazy. Im not sure if I liked it or not because I felt a little bit like I was being controlled. Im feeling better about it now that im at home though and can get back to my routine. I want to be thin but I want to eat what I want when I want. I definitately need to work on my thinking! Has anyone else felt this way at all?

Welcome back, Kari! I can totally relate to what you said about food and what you can and can't have. I went out of town with girlfriends on Sunday to make that window pane I posted earlier. I had to pack a cooler with stuff I knew I could (or wouldn't feel guilty for having) have. When we went out to eat the children's menu had noting but deep fried stuff or spaghetti or pizza, so I ordered an $11.00 meal and only ate half of the fish and took the rest home in my cooler. And today I have two dr. appts. with 1.5 hours in between. Typically I would go get a Subway or tacos or something, but today I'll bring a small cooler with my cottage cheese and peaches and eat that in my car. When I go back to school for work next week I'll have to bring Lean Quisine meals or something similar for my lunch. I have a family BBQ to go to on the 2nd of Sept. and I'm already thinking about what I may be able to have...it's something we're going to have to deal with for the rest of our lives...but I think it's worth it. My losing the weight will be my motivation :)

Thanks for responding Stephanie. I think once Im actually thinner it will feel worth it. Like when im wearing some cute 'little' (hehe) outfit from some store that doesn't sell anything over a size 12.. Ill look at food and not give a dang about it. But currently in my size 20 stretchy shorts its hard to believe I'll really get smaller!! Boy oh boy its really about changing my thinking as much as it is about changing my eating. I've got to stop wanting that instant gratification of the next bite and focus on the goal. I want to like myself in photos again. Focus Focus Focus.. my new mantra.

Hi Everyone....welcome back Kari:

You know Kari even when you've had a bummer of an experience you are always so positive.....thanks!!!! Some of us out here in bandsterland need that. Thanks to so many in fact for the positive "props" you give everyone!!!!

I am now 6 weeks out and won't see my surgeon until next week. Boy. I must be beyond ready for a fill. I am ready to eat a cow. My weight hasn't moved in what seems like an eternity. My primary weighed me on his scale 5 pounds less than the nutritionist did on the monster bariatric scale yesterday and my reaction was- I wanted to eat, eat and then eat some more. All this is to say I am with you in your pain Kari and Stephanie and everyone else.....boy this food thing is a tough one. BUT....we are on our way and there will definitely be many bumps in the road.

I can't tell all of you how much I appreciate your posts and sharing your stories. I apologize for this kinda downer post....I look forward to being up again!!!

Ruthie

Banded 7-11-06

St. Clare's Hospital/Dr. Bertha

Dover, New Jersey

Thanks for responding Stephanie. I think once Im actually thinner it will feel worth it. Like when im wearing some cute 'little' (hehe) outfit from some store that doesn't sell anything over a size 12.. Ill look at food and not give a dang about it. But currently in my size 20 stretchy shorts its hard to believe I'll really get smaller!! Boy oh boy its really about changing my thinking as much as it is about changing my eating. I've got to stop wanting that instant gratification of the next bite and focus on the goal. I want to like myself in photos again. Focus Focus Focus.. my new mantra.

Kari - great mantra! Mine is "You create your own experience. If you want different you have to do different." by Dr. Phil. I'm just fitting into my 3X pants and tops and the 4X's are going in the garage sale! I hope to be in my extensive 2X wardrobe by Christmas. I, too, can't wait to shop somewhere besides Catherine's (the only store here for me). My therapist has me going thru a workbook called "Mind over Mood". I'll post more info about the book when I get home from my appts. I would also recommend "Feeding the Hungry Heart" by Geneen Roth and "Overcoming Emotional Eating" by her as well. The whole time I was reading them I kept saying to myself, "that's me!". Oh, gotta go! TTYL

You know what Ruthie, I think your post is just being REAL, thanks for that. What kind of a support group would this be if we couldn't be real? Thats another thing I have to work on I do believe. Im the happy girl hiding a miserable self under layers of fat. Alot of things about my life totally make me happy or im totally happy about them but Im also really bummin about myself and the way I look and feel. Nobody knows that though except you guys and my husband who's my best friend. (((Big Hugs))) We'll get through this! I know we will. We will succeed.

Welcome back Kari!! Missed our morning chats!! I had a nsv today (nonscale victory). Went to a friends house (haven't seen her in a couple weeks or so) and she told me "you are shrinking"..."I can see that you are losing".....Anybody out there have some nsv's to share?

Baylor mom: I chose lapband as I felt it to be a safer surgery plus i ended up paying for it myself. my husband wouldn't have wanted me to have the gastric bypass and I agreed with him.

KMO: Missed you on here!! Glad to see your posts!! Where is Lizzilo?

I had my first fill yesterday. Haven't had much time to try it out yet. I am looking forward to seeing just how 1/2 teacup feels in my stomach. 1/2 teacup is how my surgeon suggests eating portions. ha! So will see later at luch time how this feels. I hope it feels full, because it is a 4 hour drive plus, to my surgeon's office.

cheers all my July bandsters.