Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 7: My Protein Struggle

So, I had my VSG a week ago today, and I had to spend an extra day in the hospital b/c I couldn't keep anything down. So, fast-forward to today. I start 60g. of Protein on Thursday, and I don't know how I am going to do it. I am barely getting the 40g that I am required right now. I get really tired and take naps, and in turn I have a hard time drinking the Protein I need to. Not to mention, here in Texas it is already 95 degrees, so venturing outside to walk is :cursing:.

So, needless to say, I am starting to get worried. I need to get back to work, but I really need to get my diet in order as well. How am I going to get back to work and meet my requirements, if I can't do it at home? :001_unsure:

I guess my mind is really going crazy. On top of everything else, I haven't had dinner with my family in 3 weeks. I guess I am looking for a sense of normalcy. :thumbup:

I am still waiting for surgery but, I know several people have had trouble getting all their Protein in, in the beginning. So, I checked into several different kinds. I found these protein ready to drinks and they are only 2.9 oz each and have 26g of protein. It's called Super whey Protein Shot. I found them at Wal-Mart. They come in fruit punch and really don't taste bad. I don't know if this will help you, but I hope it does. Best of luck.

Those Protein Shots are not a good form of Protein but some doctors say that it is better than nothing.

Thanks. I was only planning on using them right after surgery if I couldn't get in enough.

It gets better, the first week I couldn't get as much in as needed either, but the fluids are much easier now. I found that if I have a carnation no sugar added instant Breakfast and added one scoop of Unjury (order on line) I got a big start on the Protein, 33 gms. Then I sip all day on nectur lemon Protein Drink 24 gms of protein ( the lemon is really good I actually put a little crystal lite lemonade in it to give it a little more of a kick) Nectur is found at the Vitamin Shoppe. I like it now better than the Isopur no carb drinks.< /p>

I am 11 days post op and I am having enough problems just trying to get the 64 oz of fluids in. I am also worried about the Protein because I know for a fact that I am not getting that in. I am in the same boat as you.

Please folks GET IN YOUR Protein, i am seven weeks out and been hospitalized TWICE for dehydration. I wasnt getting even 20oz of protein in the beginning and it dominoed EVERYTHING! I started not to hold anything down-not even Water, Vitamins made me sick, even brushing my teeth made me nautious, therefore eating was completely out of the question. I went four days without a single bite....whatever you do get in that protein, I am feeling better now but back to soft foods. Once you get to the point of dehydration the weight loss doesnt matter anymore you just want to feel healthy and normal again.

Focus hard on hydration the first couple weeks, try your best to get Protein, but being somewhat deficient for a couple weeks won't be your downfall, but being dehydrated will quickly become problematic. I started out about the same way as you, spent extra time in the hospital because I was throwing up, and then when I got home I was so desperate to follow the protein rules, but my body struggled with them initally. Tiffany finally told me to chill out and go buy a couple gatorades. It terrified me to consume high amounts of carbs that early out but it really was a turning point. It is all a gradual climb, getting the protein will come. Go easier on yourself and drink every 15 minutes NO MATTER WHAT!!!!

Of course, always, always, always, always take your doctor's guidelines over those of ANYONE on the internet, but still, I'll chime in to throw in some facts and maybe calm you down a little.

Here are your priorities, in terms of risk to your health:

1. Hydration: dehydration will kill you, fast (less than 3 days of no hydration means death). Don't mess around with this; if you have to choose between Water and Protein, choose Water.< br />
  2. Protein: the problem with insufficient Protein is primarily muscle wasting. But remember this: you can live without a bit of food for nearly three weeks. I'm definitely not recommending this, but a few days or even a week of a mildly malnourished state won't kill you. It will make you feel utterly miserable, but it's probably not life threatening.
  3. Vitamins: there are a few Vitamins (notably my favorite, B12) that can cause irreversible damage if you don't get enough. A lot of people have trouble taking them; I commiserate, but still, you gotta take them once you're cleared for them. Try different brands and flavors, there are enough varieties that you'll find SOMETHING you can stomach.
  4. Carbohydrates: despite the no-carb religion that's popular these days, you need all the food components (protein, fat, carbohydrates) to live well. Extremely low-carb diets can cause lethargy, confusion, and other unpleasant effects. Definitely mind your carbs (especially simple carbs like sugar and bready things), but don't try to eliminate them completely. Best to get carbs from complex sources like vegetables, once you're cleared for that.
  5. Calories: please don't try severe caloric restriction (below 600 calories), especially with exercise. Not only might it backfire (your body will go into conservation mode, burning very little and you'll just want to sleep all the time), but it might actually make you nauseous, leading into a dangerous downward spiral. Also -- and talk to your doctor/nutritionist about this -- if you're working out hard like me, burning 300-400 calories/day, you may need to bump up your intake to compensate.

If you're getting enough water, you're probably not in danger, for at least a few days, anyway. If you're getting enough water and protein, you've got a few weeks before anything can go really bad. If you're getting enough water and protein and Vitamins, it'll take a long time before anorexia does real damage. And if you're getting enough of all of these, you're on the fast track to Wellville.

If you get any of the following symptoms, run, don't walk to your doctor:

• Repeated vomiting
  • Excessive pain anywhere
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Constant (ie, not momentary or positional) dizziness
  • Mental confusion
  • Pooping blood (it will look black and tarry)
  • Peeing blood (it will look brown -- not dark yellow, but brown)

If any of those happens, get ahold of a doctor, fast. Many of them (e.g. difficulty breathing) are 911-type emergencies.

Edited by ouroborous

I couldn't find ANY premade Protein Drinks that I could tolerate post-op. I used Atkins before surgery but they were way too sweet post op. Now I mix up my own with EAS soy Protein Powder in vanilla (it's higher in calories so I will use 1/2 a scoop if I'm getting close to my limit), 8 oz of skim milk, and 1 TBS of sugar free pudding mix. I use lemon, pistachio, cheese cake, banana cream...what ever I'm in the mood for. I get 28 gms of Protein from one of these shakes (18 if you use 1/2 scoop of the EAS). AND! if you get an ice cream maker you can dump it all in and have PROTEIN ICE CREAM in 30 minutes! I've tried all kinds of protein and this is the only one I like. The sugar free pudding mix makes all the difference in the world to me. Good luck!

I was sleeved two 1/2 weeks ago and I have had problems with weakness. Much like others have mentioned I take naps in the afternoons, just like my gramps:glare:. When I mentioned this to my doctor he assured me that as I took more Protein in, with fish and then chicken in the upcoming weeks, I will start to feel better. He did not want me to eat anymore than three times a day, but I'm not getting enough Protein in those three meal (the goal in 25-30 right now). So I ignored his advice and have been focusing on just getting the protein in, however I can, which has worked out to three meals and a snack (usually cheese or peanut butter). It worked yesterday and today. :(

Like TX, Cali is getting hot and I have been going to the gym and walking on the treadmill for 30 mins. It really wipes me out and I come home and take a nap, but then I'm ready to go again. Thankfully I have four weeks off before returning to work. I'm really nervous as I walk a lot and am in the hot weather. Drink, drink, drink, I guess :lol0:

Richelle

Hi Holli,

Your doctor can give you a prescription for an anti-nausea medication if nausea is interfering with you getting your fluids in. I used sublingual Zophran off and on for the first 4 weeks.

As far as hydration and protein: We each seem to find our own solutions that fit our preferences, but it helps to get ideas from others. The solution that worked for me in the intial weeks was to have one 22oz glass of Fluid three times daily with 1 scoop (20g protein) of unflavored unjury stirred in. If I accomplished that, then any other food that I could eat was a bonus, but not a necessity. I didn't use any thick shakes or premixed Protein drinks because they filled me up more and made it harder to get in my fluids. Also, I didn't like the taste of anything sweet right after my surgery, I don't use artificial sweetners, and chocolate can exacerbate problems with reflux. What worked for me was to take about 10 oz Water, add the unflavored Protein powder, stir in about 3 oz fruit juice and then fill the glass to the top with ice. This way, I got my Water and Protein at one time, and because it was a watery beverage, it was easier get in the required amount because it doesn't sit in your stomach as long. The juice added flavor and some calories to the water without making it thicker and without adding artificial sweetners. Slowly sipping something with protein and a small amount of carbohydrate from the juice helped maintain energy in the first couple weeks. As my food intake increased, and I was getting in more calories from food, I stopped using the fruit juice and added some Crystal Light Pure Fitness to my water instead. Now, as my diet has advanced, I either add the Unjury to my water or leave it out depending on how much protein I have been getting in my meals.

Some people seem to prefer warm liquids--but for me, I wanted ice and lots of it. I still have a hard time drinking anything at room temperature.

It will get better soon. I am at almost 10 weeks, and I am able to enjoy having meals with my family. I can't eat very much--but that's why I had the surgery! It is going to be much easier for you in a few weeks!

Are your shopping malls inside or outside?

Mine are inside and I was planning on walking there since they will be air conditioned. They have lots of "husband" benches if you need to sit and take a break.

Target or Walmart might even be a better because you can push around a cart for support. You can even go slow up and down the aisle and "pretend to be shopping"

Good Luck! Sip sip sip!