Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Husband convinced everyone here is fake!!

I didn't go to Mexico, but when I was laying in the hospital here waiting half an hour every time I pushed the nurse call button, I sure wished that I did! The stories I have heard seem like the staff is so much more attentive to you there. Here I felt like I had a different nurse every time I pushed the button, had to re-explain everything each time, and I seriously had to wait forever any time I needed anything lol. I love my surgeon but the hospital not so much.

If you want to send me a PM and I will give you my work phone

number so he can talk to me and my co-workers to show that I'm

not fake. I went to Dr. Aceves and I am very pleased with him and

his staff.

Gary B.

My wife isn't fake, but it doesn't hurt to be skeptical.

I understand your husbands skepticism, I belonged to a car site once, that had fake posters. And yes, it is possible, but I personally, know 3 people on this board that went to Dr. Aceves. Including my wife, and me eventually.

Tell your husband that I'm not fake and that my husband actually went with me to Dr Aceves. haha. Check my blog if you want to read of my experience so far. =)

It's so easy for people to dismiss anything on the Internet by making broad generalizations such as your husband has done. I hope he is not stubborn and will take up some of the invitations posted above. Maybe he will come around if you are able to get through to him. Best wishes with your WL journey in spite of it all.

Hello everyone. I have been lurking around on this site for a few weeks now and your stories are very inspirational. I decided to have WLS a couple of months ago and met with the surgeon at Madigan Army Medical Center (I am retired Army & my husband is still active duty), and to have the sleeve done there I would need to enter a program and it would be a six to twelve month wait. I did a twelve month program through the VA and I do not want to wait another year, so I am going to self pay for this surgery.

I am so sorry you have to wait so long to have surgery at Madigan. My husband is active duty as well and I had my surgery in March at Eisenhower Army Medical Center in Augusta, GA. It was a great experience and I've had relatively good luck with things since. I would not have gone abroad for surgery, first I don't have a passport:scared0:, but also I didn't have much time to plan this. I was referred in a haphazard sort of way.

I do think you should call your PCM and ask about the follow up care at a MTF. Since you were in process for surgery at Madigan, I'm sure you could do all the follow up after the surgery abroad.. don't you think? Anyway, it would be good to know for sure so you don't have any surprises.

Good luck!

I am contemplating the VSG. My insurance requires 6 months wait, so maybe in December or January I can have it. I used to be a size 10. Since I have gained so much weight, I have become hypertensive, diabetic, and my asthma is difficult to control. I have always had a fast heart rate, but it could end up being problem due to my weight. Then my asthma meds increase an already elevated rate. And other diet meds, etc., have been only a temporary fix if they worked at all.

My sister had no health problems but was overweight and had the lapband done March of this year. Her first fill was this month. So far, so good for her. However, when I told her I was considering the VSG, she got irate, telling me I wanted the easy way out. That is not the case. It may bring about a more rapid weight loss. BUt that is what I need. I have two teenagers that I want to live to see years later. I don't want to die young or be too sick to enjoy my kids or my life due to obesity related illnesses. I am miserable enough and ashamed of my weight as it is now. Even my best friend told me I just need to go exercise more. Even that is not alway easy. how do I deal with others' reactions? I have decided not to tell anyone else about my plans for fear of similar reactions. I feel VSG is the best route for me. HELP. anyone!

I didn't tell a lot of people. I didn't want to hear what anyone had to say regarding my decision.

The lap band is a nightmare. Read all the band to sleeve revisions that are on here.

I hope you can get your insurance to pay for the sleeve. You won't be sorry!

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to let everyone know that after a little education, some sweet talk, and the preverbial slap in the face, my husband is on board with my going to Dr. Aceves in Mexico for my surgery. After I showed him all the statistics for Dr. Aceves and he was able to talk to Nina (patient coordinator) he felt a little bit better about it. However, the final nudge that he needed came from an unexpected source. He was telling a highly respected (and trusted) coworker of his about my "crazy idea to have wls in Mexico". It turns out that his coworker's spouse and mother have had the sleeve done by Dr. Aceves in Mexico. That was the last bit of convincing he needed to jump on board and be supportive of my decision. Anyway, I just wanted to let everyone know that while my husband can be stubborn, he is not completly unreasonable.

I went to a doctor in Dallas, Dr Hamn. Never really considered any other way. I'm not a hoop jumper so I didn't bother with the insurance option. I'm a little older, 51 y/o, and didn't want to get much older waiting for the surgery. I could go to 2 different hospitals, but picked the more expensive one that was closer to the home and hubby's work. It was $14,500, not including the pre-ops, which I did through my primary care physician, i.e., through my insurance.

I love the coincidence of your husbands coworkers mother-in-law having used Dr. Aceves that is awesome!

Congrats on your hubby coming on board to your surgey!

Dr. Aceves is so great that word of mouth is the best advertisement for him! I am glad to hear your husband knew people who went to him!