Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just wanted to say that this is fabulous advice, and very motivational.

I did adhere to a low carb program for the first 4 months, but now, I am definitely not dieting. I haven't been strict with my eating plan, I only count my calories and Protein to ensure that I am hitting my goals for maintenance.

Elly, I promise the sleeve does work. You'll have to be positive, and have faith in yourself. Believe me, it wasn't easy to change my mindset after losing and gaining over 400lbs on several different diet attempts and programs over the last decade. The sleeve truly freed me from all of that worry, and self-doubt. Once I saw the results, losing weight, and feeling good, I knew I would succeed. You just have to convince yourself that you can do it. Negativity breeds negativity, so try as hard as you can to push those thoughts out of your mind, and fill yourself with positive affirmations. I even wrote little message on my bathroom mirror to remind me that I was worthy of being healthy, happy, and to be a success with the assistance of the sleeve.

I know I had a hard time believing that little portions would satisfy me, that I could actually be successful by just eating smaller amount, that I could actually lose all my excess weight, but once the effects of the sleeve kicked in, I was a true believer. Even now, my sleeve still keeps me in check. Making the best choice is a bit more difficult, but I can honestly tell you that life with the sleeve is pretty effortless, and very rewarding.

Don't sell yourself or the sleeve short ! ! !

AMEN!!!!! My traditional definition of diet has finally left the building. Now, I focus on healthy eating and watching the scale go down. I've gone from a size 18 to 10/12 in 15 weeks. I NEVER, NEVER, NEVER could have done that on a diet.

You WILL succeed if you follow your nutritional guidelines.

This really is a great tool, you can do it with the sleeve, healthful eating, exercise, and some sort of support (even just these boards.) You will be great. I think adding another thing would jeopardize your ability to be nourished. Good luck!

Thanks Christie, thanks Tiffany. I just feel like I would do better with some sort of specific eating plan. I think it is mostly my mother talking that has got me really worried about it. She keeps telling me that the sleeve isn't going to do all of the work for me and asking me what am I going to do to stay on track. My parents are paying for the surgery for me... it's my graduation gift. I REALLY don't want to waste their money. I know the sleeve isn't going to do everything for me, but I also know it's going to make things a lot easier. It's hard to explain that to her.

Nothing shuts the doubters up quicker then results. Follow your post op plan carefully and within a couple months I doubt anyone will question you!

Thanks Christie, thanks Tiffany. I just feel like I would do better with some sort of specific eating plan. I think it is mostly my mother talking that has got me really worried about it. She keeps telling me that the sleeve isn't going to do all of the work for me and asking me what am I going to do to stay on track. My parents are paying for the surgery for me... it's my graduation gift. I REALLY don't want to waste their money. I know the sleeve isn't going to do everything for me, but I also know it's going to make things a lot easier. It's hard to explain that to her.

If your program includes access to a nutritionist, you will have the meal plan and suggestions set for you. I would rather lean on a medical professional than a business built around the weight loss fad world.

I have gone to my nut on more than a dozen occasions over the last year to help tweak my plan that would give me the best results, and suit my lifestyle.

I wouldn't do WW again if someone paid me, plus their plan is carb loaded. I hated South beach, and stuck to a modified Atkins during my losing phase. I simply stuck with the initial guidelines of 600-800 calories a day, no more than 30 grams of crabs, and 60+Protein. If you have access to a support group, I think you'll find that can be helpful as well. You can bounce ideas, doubts, concerns off other people that have been through it.

Tracking calories, carbs, and Protein through myfitnesspal.com did wonders for me. It held me accountable, and on days that I didn't track, I was able to keep things in check because it became the "new norm" for me. I replaced bad habits with good habits, and more than anything that is what the sleeve helps us with. The sleeve doesn't do all the work, but it definitely gives us a big push in the right direction.

I know it's tough when others plant those seeds of doubt, but you have to just realize that most of the time opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one and most are pretty sh*tty.

Tiffany... I just created an account with myfitnesspal.com! Thanks for the suggestion. I love it! It's really simple and easy to use.

I'm not sure how old you are (graduating high school or college) but it sounds like your parents are going to be very involved in your WLS. Maybe you should have them come on here and read some of the posts from people who have already had surgery. That would help them get a better insight into how the surgery really works. I think you could be playing a dangerous game adding weight loss medications on top of a surgery as drastic as the sleeve. You will be loosing the majority of your stomach!

Also, consider asking one of the VST forum members to act as a mentor for you after surgery, somebody that you can email or call when you need advice. Find someone whose posts you enjoy reading and whose spirit speaks to you. Reach out to that person for more individual support. I think you'll be hard pressed to find someone here who wouldn't be willing to mentor you. Have faith in yourself and expect the best!

Elly, I totally understand as my dad is paying for my surgery too and I don't want to let him down either. I just think the sleeve, and your adherance to the guildelines, is going to be it. I don't think you are going to need this other stuff. Whoever suggested having your parents check out these message boards.. I think that's a GREAT idea!

Good advice Tiffykins and CraftyChristie ... that is the point of the sleeve .. freedom from failed diet histories. I couldn't imagine taking another weight loss drug on top of this fabulous tool I have been given. It works!!

You girls are such an inspiration.