Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

new here and thinking of getting sleeved..

well i was going to get banded at first ... but after talking to my DR sat ... im thinking of getting the sleeve...still a lil unsure ...but i do have a date for july 26th.... HELPPPPP.... :thumbup:

I also was going to get the Lapband. After much reseach I am getting sleeved in 2 days. I cannot wait. I see a lot of people on here who were banded and have had them removed and then sleeved. Goold luck with what ever you chose.

Hi and welcome

I can't speak of the band, except to say from what I read I decide against it, and then found out about the sleeve, which 'fits' perfectly for me.

I know theres lots of peeps having revisions from bands to the sleeve for one reason or another... i decided against it mainly for the following reasons:

Foreign object in my body

No guarantee to loose, and having to have the band filled up to find your level to loose - and the cost involved with that, would rather have a one off payment (I'm self paying) to make sure its done rather than an unknown amount in the future.

Good luck with your research and let us know how it goes

Kathy

I think the sleeve is the best option, but that is me. I heard awful stories with the band, and the RnY. Tiffykins has a lot of research on this. do a search, or PM her. She's the best.

Keep reading, here and at obesityhelp.com (the VSG and/or revisions board) and I think you'll have a much easier time making your decision.

I first looked into the band, but it only took a few days before I was thinking "No freakin' WAY" about the thing. The complication and failure rates are soooo unacceptable, and there's a reason why there are SO many band-to-sleeve revisions being done. I'd rather have stayed fat than put one of those things in me to deform my insides and keep me fat and miserable (and still starving). Personally I think the band should be banned, but unfortunately it's still big business to the poor uninformed people wanting it.

Welcome, keep reading, and good luck with whatever you decide! :o

I too was going to be banded at first. Then I found out that 25% of patients banded have it removed within 2 years! The VGS is a relatively new surgery but also an old one as it is based on the Gastric Bypass. Patients who could not tolerate the surgery for the stomach decrease and the intestine bypass would go through the first part to loss some weight before the full Bypass. Dr.s found that the weight loss was similar to the full GB.

Laytoya79, keep reviewing this site, it is what helped me make my decision and I am at a weight I haven't been in 5 years in only 1 month!

well i was going to get banded at first ... but after talking to my DR sat ... im thinking of getting the sleeve...still a lil unsure ...but i do have a date for july 26th.... HELPPPPP.... :lol0:

Hi latoya79 and Welcome!

I too was all for the lap band at first. But then after attending the weight loss seminar at my hospital, doing my research, reading all the posts on this site, and meeting with my surgeon (who was perfectly fine with whichever option I chose...VSG or band) decided that the sleeve was the one for me. I have a co-worker who had the band done. While she hasn't had any problems, I see her struggle with a very slow weight loss, and having to continually go to the doctor for fills.

Another thing I did before making my decision was making a list of pros/cons for band vs sleeve.

I'm only 5 days post-op, and so far I have no regrets! :blush:

Good Luck in whichever option you choose.

I've had both the band and now the sleeve. I can tell you from my personal experience that the band is by far the inferior of the 2 surgeries. The removing of the hunger with the sleeve has given me a huge relief, and the band did not do that for me at all.

Not to mention the long laundry list of complications that are long term risks with the band.

I can't tell you enough how awesome life with the sleeve is for me. I'm almost a year out, and live a very normal, fulfilling, and healthy life. It's been fabulous, and so grateful to get the band out of my body.

O.M.G... Thanks to all who replyed to my post ....I have been on many website and i love this one and the fact that its real people that have been thur it.... but i was a lil unsure if what happened to the staples ????... what they staple you can you always pop a leak....lol... thats what i scared of the most ..