Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 day post op update

Well, three days ago right around this time of the morning I had my surgery. I want to thank all of you who sent me well wishes on my first post the night before. I know many of you who are going to have the surgery soon want an update so here goes. Generally, I think it went extremely well. My surgeon said the procedure was "text book" and I had no complications. I don't remember anything at all between saying goodbye to my boyfriend in the pre-op area until I saw him again in my hospital room. The pain initially was a bit intense and I felt nauseous most of the first night, but by second day the pain subsided (although the incision sites are still pretty sore) and I haven't taken any pain meds at all since that first night. I walked around the hospital floor several times as suggested. I went home around noon on the 1st day post op. The hardest thing for me is struggling with getting down the suggested amount of liquid. Right after surgery, I only managed a few ice chips through the next morning and the first day I think I only got in about 20 oz. Yesterday was a bit better but still a struggle. I seem to do better with warmer liquids (like tea) and I did manage to eat a Jello yesterday. I had little energy but managed to take my dog out for several walks and felt much better after being able to take a shower yesterday, but mostly just rested. It seems every day gets a bit easier but the liquid intake is still hard and seems impossible that I should be drinking 3X what I am. Today I feel up to checking emails and doing some stuff around the house, so it's just a matter of time I guess. I haven't felt hungry but do think I am a bit weak from not having any food. It doesn't bother me to see or smell food. It's hard for me to feel slowed down and am worried about the amount I'm NOT drinking but hopefully every day will get better. Will post again after my 1st week doctor's appointment next week.

Thank you so much for this post. It helps so much to see in advance what to expect. My surgery is coming up in a month so I am starting to feel a little anxious. Hopefully I will get that under control before I hit the hospital. Please keep us updated!

Thanks again,

Av

Your experience does sound "textbook" in a good way :wink0: I've heard the same thing from many people about their first several days post op... you should be able to drink more soon! And the weakness is really common because of being on liquids and not eating. People seem to feel a lot better 3-4 weeks out and regain their strength.

Thanks so much for sharing. Wishing you all the best and looking forward to your 1 week update.

You are doing great. Just hang in there. I hear around 10 days your energy comes back. I too am worried about Fluid intake after surgery. I guess we just have to do the best we can.

Thanks for sharing your experience! 12 days and counting until my surgery! Glad to hear it went so well and remember...One Day at a Time!

Glad to hear it went well and you're up on your feet.

Sip sip and keep on sipping!! lol

Kathy

Glad your feeling better take it slow and keep posting updates for us.

I am very grateful for your post! Your experience is truly encouraging and provides a "real" up to the minute idea of what to expect. This is the best gift you will ever give yourself so CONGRATULATIONS! I cannot wait for mine!!!