Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New here and just make the decision

I am really excited but scared too. I met with Dr. Davidson in Dallas yesterday and went to his seminar too. When I went in, I was set on Lab Band but after hearing all the pros and cons of that and sleeve, I decided sleeve was the better choice for me.

I am 35 and have been married for 17 years with 4 kids. When answering the questionnaire for the appointment, I realized that I have been overweight for the last 17 years and had been morbidly obese (Man I hate that phrase) for 10. I spent all these years trying to avoid that label. I think that appointment really made me face it. They tortured my by taking my picture (something I never allow) and making me weigh and measure my waist. :tongue_smilie:

But I found out that my blood pressure is starting to become elevated, my knee is starting to get arthritis, and that numbness that comes in my arms sometimes is related to the fat.

So I scheduled the surgery for June 9th and I have to work on losing 15-20 pounds before then to shrink my liver. My husband is supportive and that means so much to me but I would love some support from this little community.

Good for you! Congrats! I too was planning on gastric banding originally (self pay) but just found out recently my insurance is changing in July and will cover the sleeve with no 6 month diet. It seemed like the best choice for me. I'm so glad I didn't settle with the band. I was really preparing myself for months of agony with all the adjustments and what not. I'm so happy!

July cannot get here fast enough!

Wishing you all the best on your journey!

Lori

Hi Zephra! Welcome to the boards.

I'm still a newbie myself.

I had my surgery this past wednesday.

Did your doctor give you a specific pre-op diet plant to follow to lose that 15-20 lbs?

Before my official pre-op diet started I made some changes in preparation for life after surgery. I cut out all sugars...like sweet tea, sugar in my coffee, soft drinks, etc. I never ate Breakfast and hardly ever ate lunch but then would have a huge meal for dinner. So I started drinking a Protein shake for Breakfast and for lunch and then eat something healthy for dinner. I started that about 2 weeks before my initial surgeon consult and I lost 12 lbs during that time.

You've definitely come to the right place for support...just consider us your second family! :tongue_smilie:

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Yes I have a plan that includes Protein shakes and a lean cuisine for one meal. I was told that I would not be hungry in between meals with the brand that the docs office gave me but I am. It is hard to tell if it is the not eating food like I usually do or if I am really hungry.

I plan to substitute with healthy choices if I get too hungry. I have been eating well for 3 days with the exception of yesterday after the consult when I felt like I was going to pass out from hunger. I was very dizzy and nauseous. I admit I made a bad choice then but I honestly did not think I would be able to drive home without eating. However, I am down 3 pounds according to my scale this morning so I am not going to guilt myself over it.

I am 40 days out from surgery! Now I just have to figure out how to tell my family and arrange for financing.

Try surgeryloans.com and care credit

I went with Care Credit as the interest rate with them was a little bit less and you can choose to finance for up to 60 months if you need to. Ask your surgeon's office if they accept Care Credit and if they're doing the interest free promotion. My surgeon's office didn't do that promotion..only the one at 14.9% interest.

If you don't mind me asking....how much weight would you like to lose?

I also wanted to be banded at first (hince the screen name) but after deciding against that, I started looking into bypass and stumbled across VSG. As soon as I read about it I knew it was the one for me. I'm trying to figure out the financing but decided against telling my family until after it's done. Good luck with your surgery. It'll be here b4 you know it!

I would like to lose about 100 pounds. I am just under 250 at 5 foot 3 inches. But I would be delighted with 70. I will just do my best and lose what I can. I have looked into carecredit and will be calling a few other places monday morning.

Thanks so much for the support. It makes everything so much easier.

I saw somewhere that Capital One does loans for wls. Good Luck, I'm just two days out and my surgeon was in Houston. Carla

I also was thinking of lapband until I went to Dr. Nick Nicholson for his seminar. I didn't even know about a sleeve before and really seemed to fit me! I could just see all kinds of long term issues with a band. My insurance (federal) covered the sleeve so I was able to get approved by Dr. Nick's staff in just a few hours, I was amazed! I was ready for a long drawn out fight. Anyway, I start my pre-op diet tomorrow, I've lost a few pounds already. I have my surgery on May 17 at Baylor Plano (amazing hospital); current bmi is 37, I was pre-diabetic, joint issues, cholesterol rising, ... everything pointing in the wrong direction. I tried working with a dietician and personal trainer twice to only gain back the pounds I lost and then some. I'm really miserable being this fat, getting to not even want to leave the house... I can't wait to finally have a tool that will work!

Hi Zephra, I am 5'3 and started at 255. I told my surgeon that I will consider my surgery a complete success if I hit 180 and stay there forever and I still stand by that. I will be 6 weeks out this Wednesday and I am at 215 this morning, I set my weight loss ticker for 160 not really thinking I would aim for it but now I think it is possible. I too am a self pay, I took some of the equity out of my house to pay for it. I think I got 7 % interest. Good luck, you will learn so much here.

I also was thinking of lapband until I went to Dr. Nick Nicholson for his seminar. I didn't even know about a sleeve before and really seemed to fit me! I could just see all kinds of long term issues with a band. My insurance (federal) covered the sleeve so I was able to get approved by Dr. Nick's staff in just a few hours, I was amazed! I was ready for a long drawn out fight. Anyway, I start my pre-op diet tomorrow, I've lost a few pounds already. I have my surgery on May 17 at Baylor Plano (amazing hospital); current bmi is 37, I was pre-diabetic, joint issues, cholesterol rising, ... everything pointing in the wrong direction. I tried working with a dietician and personal trainer twice to only gain back the pounds I lost and then some. I'm really miserable being this fat, getting to not even want to leave the house... I can't wait to finally have a tool that will work!

Good for you! I wish you all the luck in the world and a quick and speedy recovery. I have only heard great things about Dr. Nick so I know all will be well for you. I befriended you so I could follow your recovery.

Can I ask, how do you put a ticker into your signature? I didn't see anywhere to do it in my account. :confused:

Never mind about the signature. I just figured it out.

Robbie,

I set my goal at 150 but honestly, I would be happy at 180. I have two things on my wish list other than getting healthy...to run and to shop at a regular clothing store. It I can hit those two, it would make it all worth while.

Many congrats on getting your sleeve scheduled. It really is a wonderful tool.

I hope you keep us updated on your progress, and if you need anything don't hesitate to post your questions or concerns, we are here for you ! ! !

Edit to add: I'm only 5'2" and started off at 270. 150 was my goal as well, but my body wanted to lose more. I'm sitting at 123-124lbs this weekend, and I never thought I'd get to 150 let alone down to the 120's. So, your goal is very attainable. Don't sell yourself or the sleeve short on how successful you can be ! ! !

Edited by Tiffykins

Robbie,

I set my goal at 150 but honestly, I would be happy at 180. I have two things on my wish list other than getting healthy...to run and to shop at a regular clothing store. It I can hit those two, it would make it all worth while.

Ahhh to run again.. I hear ya on that one. There is nothing better than that feeling when you hit your second wind. We will be there again soon I hope. Granted I may break down and cry when I feel it again the first time!