Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone,

I'm having trouble finding something to eat that interests me. My taste seems to have changed heaps. I used to enjoy yoghurt and muesli for Breakfast but now don't like the taste. Breakfast used to be my favourite meal of the day but now it seems to be the hardest one to get down. It seems strange after enjoying food and getting fat that now its harder to just find something to eat that is enjoyable and healthy.

I have been quite ill with a vomiting virus this week and haven't reallly eaten in 3 days...as it won't stay down and the pain from the vomiting is not worth it.

My weightloss have been quite slow as I was sleeved on 23rd Feb.

Any suggestions on things?

Cheers,

Michelle

I'm still on liquids but I had a huge sweet tooth pre op. Now I find myself craving protien. I can't wait until I can have a scrambled egg with a little cheese or some soft pork or fish. I think our tasts do change. I loved granola and yougart but I don't think it would do it for me now.

Maybe try something more salty and meaty?

I have never been a fan of breakfast food items. Is it that you don't want to eat breakfast foods, or is it that you feel more restriction in the morning and it's more difficult for you to get food down?

My tastes changed significantly as well. I found myself eating leftovers from the night before dinner, or making other options for my morning meal. I ate a lot of deli meat with cream cheese rolled up, I had to get creative, I over-seasoned food, I did anything to make stuff taste better. I also found having more savory flavors helped since sweet stuff was just too much for me.

Do you like Spinach, eggs and cheese? You can make quiches in muffin pan. There's a lot of ideas on allrecipes.com for variety.

I know it's tough, but it does get better.

How long has it been since you were "sleeved"? It took me quite a long time before I was able to actually enjoy any food at all. What saved me was an SNRI antidepressant, (and I am not advocating this). The side effect was that it stimulated appetite and for me the timing was right because I'd just not wanted to eat, hardly anything appealed to me. There is one staple in my diet that works well consistently and that is a hot Cereal. I buy a brand called Uncle Ben's Cream of Wheat, Multi Grain... I cook it with Water and mix in some almond, soy, or hazelnut milk then whisk in a scoop of Solgar vanilla Bean whey powder (Whey To Go). I use a packet of stevia and a swirl of raw blue agave Syrup or pure maple syrup. Things were especially easier to eat when I was on the medication but since I've stopped taking it my desire to eat has lessened, but not as severely as earlier out. Soups are good to fall back on when all else fails. Do you like cheese? I like sharp cheddar and some others to nibble on. I do hope that you will find some foods that you will enjoy. Feel better.

Hi Samsonslady. I cannot eat in the morning due to restriction. I have a cup of tea with my Nexium and then about 2 hours later I am able to eat. It's strange that I cannot eat in the morning because I can eat quite a lot in one sitting later on in the day. Anyway I have a Fruche for breakfast but since you're off yogurt this probably doesn't appeal to you. What about an Up & Go, or Sustagen? A scrambled or poached egg? Sometimes I just east a few almonds. My taste has changed too. I used to LOVE chocolate and coke. But now they make me feel sick. Just the thought turns me off ;/ I don't crave anything now and it's great. I wouldn't have it any other way, although I must admit that I have forgotten to eat on a few occasions. I keep some flavoured rice thins in my car now for emergencies! Have you tried these? They taste great. They are the only carbs that I have. I particularly like the sundried Tomato and roast chicken. Let us know how you get on :)

Thanks everyone for your comments. I was sleeved 10 weeks ago. I find that I'm really restricted in the mornings. I have tried eggs, porridge, eggs benedict, crumpets, Optifast (that seemed to go down ok this morning, maybe I should stick to that...lol. I will try Tiffykins suggestion of deli meat...I went and bought some shaved turkey so that might be good...at least its good Protein. I will also try Smelly Melly suggestion of Up and Go.

I can drink diet coke but find its easier if its a bit flat and filled with ice to make it flatter. I was an 8-10 can a day person but now it takes most of the day to get 1 can down.

Any more suggestions will be great.

Thanks

Michelle

samsonslady, i am having the same issue! eating is a bit of a chore. one thing i started 3 days ago is tracking each thing i put in my mouth. this gave me a bit of a clearer picture of what i was doing. alas, i have such an issue choosing something to eat. nothing is appetizing. and another thing... this not feeling hunger thing i'm not so sure... i feel hunger and i've been playing particular attention and it would make sense when i've got "the feeling" that it truly is hunger. don't get me wrong, sometimes i have a craving but it's not to be confused with real hunger.

i can't seem to do the Protein shakes/powders etc. have you had luck with them? i have noticed my rate of loss increases as my Protein increases. unfortunately it seems i have to eat all my protein and can't drink any...

so, you aren't alone! good luck

Thanks everyone for your comments. I was sleeved 10 weeks ago. I find that I'm really restricted in the mornings. I have tried eggs, porridge, eggs benedict, crumpets, Optifast (that seemed to go down ok this morning, maybe I should stick to that...lol. I will try Tiffykins suggestion of deli meat...I went and bought some shaved turkey so that might be good...at least its good Protein. I will also try Smelly Melly suggestion of Up and Go.

I can drink diet coke but find its easier if its a bit flat and filled with ice to make it flatter. I was an 8-10 can a day person but now it takes most of the day to get 1 can down.

Any more suggestions will be great.

Thanks

Michelle

I don't think the soda, diet, and/or flat is recommended with the sleeve. I can only tell you what my surgeon and nutritionist told me and that was that all carbonated beverages were not to be had after surgery.

I'm with LAN2k, avoid the soda. It's bad for you and your tummy. If you are eating and drinking things that are not recommended, then that me be part of the problem. I am only a month out, but what I have found is that at this point I don't worry about what is breakfast, lunch or dinner food. I just eat something that gets me my Protein. This may be a horrible suggestion, but Pork rinds break down easily and are full of protein. Also, a small amount of pistachios are a great source of protein. shredded chicken salad may be good. Look through the recipes on this site and see if any appeal to you. I can eat Italian sausage now, if I take it out of it's skin......i find ways to get flavors that I like. Best of luck

I had my sleeve surgery in Feb. and still seem to have issues eating. I am hoping my stomach calms down. I want to eat but then when I go to eat nothing seems to sit right in my stomach. I feel like I am eating very little and thinking I may need to go back to mushies for a while until things settle down for me.

Best of luck to you on your journey. You will get alot of great advice here! I know I always have.

Diane