Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am SO about to lose all of my hair...= [

Sooo today, I was getting ready for school, just minding my own business when boom it hit me....Staring in the mirror looking at my hairline I started to notice that I can see MUCH more of my scalp in between hairs than I remember. freaking out a little I started parting my hair and combing and seeing how much of my scalp i could see here and there....And what do you know...I DO have thinner hair. But wait! This can't be! I HAVENT EVEN HAD SURGERY OR LOST THE FIRST POUND YET! What is horrible about it, is I have actually lost my hair twice before ( I am a hair stylist, It is what we do LOL) But for some reason watching it go over time like I might have to, DOES make me a little sad. So when I got home I started googling, and behold maybe an answer? I have hypothyroidism, which APPARENTLY cause hairloss but I havent been taking my meds = [. My pcp is being a bitch and wont write me another script for my meds until I come in again (I dont have insurance)...WELL I am 10 days from surgery too... I WAS planning a visit for about a month after surgery but at this rate I feel like I might be bald by then. I am actually a little scared! I havent been scared this WHOLE time about any of it.. Only excited, but now I am feeling just blahhh = [

Sorry this post is not really about anything...I am just freaking out a little

Girl, I think every female in this forum has the same fears! My sister has graves disease and her hair will thin from time to time. I hope that the loss will stall gor you! Sending good wishes your way.

Tiffany ~ I wonder if your thyroid med is available in Mexico? If you have an old rx bottle, you might bring it and check. I have done that before in Mexico, the Caribbean and in Europe. There are also meds you can buy without a prescription. Don't know if your's would be one or not.

Your coordinator may be able to ask the dr ahead of time as well.

Another touchy subject but I have never had any issues.

Oh good thought. I bought some good meds on my recent trip to the Caribbean!

Oh good thought. I bought some good meds on my recent trip to the Caribbean!

LOL I stock up whenever I can! Never even entered my mind tho until a cruise that stopped in Costa Rica. Two nurses that we hung out with took us to a pharmacy with them. They had an entire shopping list! Figured if they could do it, so could we!

Yes, she can get her thyroid meds in Mexico. I used to drive down there to fill scripts all the time when I didn't have insurance, and I'm hypothyroid too. If you buy a lot, the pharmacy will tell you to hide some of it and only declare a certain amount at the border, so they don't think you're buying more than you need for "personal use".

But I mean...Can you just buy things without a script down there? I dont really know how that works. I mean I SPOKE with my surgeon and he said he would be happy to test my levels and I asked for a 3 month supply and he said that is fine...but if it is cheaper can I continue to get it from there (MX) somehow? I wouldnt care but honestly my pcp is a bitch. She refuses to use the new scale so my levels are higher than normal and she just wont adjust my dose. Plus her head nurse is ...well....someone I wouldn't mind hitting with my car..You would THINK that my thyroid meds were narcotics or crack cocain! I swear they way they both act it is ridiculous..

But I mean...Can you just buy things without a script down there? I dont really know how that works. I mean I SPOKE with my surgeon and he said he would be happy to test my levels and I asked for a 3 month supply and he said that is fine...but if it is cheaper can I continue to get it from there (MX) somehow? I wouldnt care but honestly my pcp is a bitch. She refuses to use the new scale so my levels are higher than normal and she just wont adjust my dose. Plus her head nurse is ...well....someone I wouldn't mind hitting with my car..You would THINK that my thyroid meds were narcotics or crack cocain! I swear they way they both act it is ridiculous..

My hormones are a little out of whack lately. Would you like me to throat punch them for you?

Seriously, that is ridiculous.

I don't think you can mail order meds from Mexico. Seems I have read that packages are checked very closely.

Some pharmacies will fill from your current bottle - especially if there are refills left. If it turned out that the meds were considerably less expensive, you might be able to go pharmacy hopping. Just depends on the med and the country on the quantity they will sell you. A pharmacy in Spain refilled a med for me, even tho there were no refills left - they would only give me about a month's worth tho.

Now I am feeling like your dealer!!

Prices in Mexico are pretty comparable to our generics--probably somewhat cheaper for thyroid meds. You don't need a script, just go in and give them your dosage. I have done this a dozen times, there are pharmacies everywhere and it's really easy. Nothing to worry about.

I had a doctor like that, too....I was temporarily without insurance and I think she thought I was avoiding the blood test....which I might have been because I almost always pass out when they take blood, but she was SUCH a b*tch about it! She knew I didn't have insurance and couldn't afford to see her or pay for the test. What the hell happened to "first do no harm"?

HHAA YES TIFF!

Well I had NO IDEA what she was doing really I just figured it out because I got a little more educated about it. The onld scale said if my tsh levels were above 5, they were too high...so she gives me JUST ENOUGH of a dose to get under 5...WELL the new scale says I am supposed to be under 3....AND she just like REFUSES to accept it...Because the AACE "suggested" it...Like that is their job or something? lol I have never met a woman I want to throat kick 90% of the time I have to talk to her. I REALLY THINK it is because I am fat that she wont listen to me. I think that she thinks I have this misconception that my levels are what is making me fat..and honestly that shouldn't matter. I want to be under three, do you f'ing job and get me under THREE!

Ugh. I know you can't get a new doctor while you're uninsured because that first appt is crazy expensive, but you really need to ditch this woman.

I just had mine tested and it was a 22, and my doc refused to accept that it might be playing into my weight problem and VERY reluctantly raised my dose slightly. Come ON! Can you actually throw your thyroid off by gaining weight? Is that why there's so much attitude going on? I need a new doc too but I'm in a dinky town and he's the only one...

Well I thought that might be the case..that maybe after the weight loss it would level out but I have mentioned it in another post of mine and the few people I got to respond said they still have to take their med after weight loss...I really dont get what is going on with these Dr's and just BLATANTLY not doing there job and just being like "Oh well"

I've had hypothyroid since I was a skinny(ish) little thing. It's just gotten worse with the weight gain. It's a lifetime thing, but nobody was nasty to me about it when I was much thinner.

Wow guys. I know this is the reality of health care in the US if you don't have insurance, but it's mad. I feel so sorry for those without insurance, it's just not fair. I also realise that the NHS here in the UK is not perfect, far from perfect in fact, but it's crazy to think that you have to do this to get treated for an obvious condition and that they demand payment. It's an eye-opener for sure and not one I woud want to battle. I hope Obama changes this system, if you need meds you should get them, no matter the cost. Good luck getting the meds Tiffany, I would do exactly the same as you.

LOL @ Tiffykins, I feel like this sometimes.

Michelle x

Edited by mcteez