Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Speak up those with leaks & infections!

My dad and brother have Crohn's. I know what that's like and I feel for you.

I don't understand the politics at all in this thread. I understand that money and politics always seem to raise their ugly heads when it comes to nearly anything these days. But for a newbie I just want to hear the personal stories from real people. And I appreciate hearing yours. thanks.

I know nothing about the clinics/hospitals or doctors in Mexico, but just hearing the warning "not to drink the water" would be enough to convince me to stay north of the boarder !!

kabinkitty... I'm sayin'!!! And can you say "drug wars"? And abductions and ransom demands? Not the safest place on the planet right now.

Caralee

I totally agree with all that you have posted. I have spoke to MANY people that have been to this clinic, but are afraid to post anything. You see when people start getting nasty it does not accomplish anything. It might scare someone away from even having surgery. But if your posts and mine scare just ONE person away from this clinic, I will sleep better at night!!

There have just been too many negative reports, and for all of you naysayers do you see other Dr's with all of these negative reports???? Do you think this is just coincidence?? I think not! I have been there, done that. I will admit my first experience was good, the second okay, but it did open my eyes to a lot of the sloppy practices there.

Please people considering surgery in Mexico, do not let this clinic's reputation stop you!! There are MANY qualified surgeons there. It is not as dangerous as some think, and you drink bottled water......so please if Mexico is where you have decided to go, check out some of the better Dr's and HOSPITALS!!!!!

I love Mexico. Its really a great coutry. Just like everywhere.... the bad gets sesationalized. I really hate to see such a wonderful place get trashed.

BJ

Not to argue with you, but I would venture to say that most people go to Mexico because they ca't afford the US. That was why I went, it would have taken me 3 more years to save enough to have surgery here. I'm all for keeping the money in the US, but I'm also a realist!!

Or better yet, keep American dollars in America.

I knew what I said would be very unpopular. And I certainly do understand, like I said earlier, I understand why people would choose to go to Mexico for surgery. And I do not criticize them for it. We all do what we have to do. But I've lived on the border of Mexico and Arizona and I could tell you stories that would curl your hair.

Now you may think that I place the blame on Mexico but I don't. We are guilty of doing things that have helped to create the situation in Mexico. Not the kidnapping, of course, but the drugs wars and other things that make many places in Mexico dangerous. In fact, the danger is usually played down. And many Americans buy homes and retire there, which I also understand. If you know the score in Mexico you can mostly avoid problems. But most of us do not know the score.

We have friends who technically live in Mexico city but who keep a home in Houston for their wives and children because living in Mexico city is so dangerous and these are native Mexicans, not native Americans.

Lots and lots of Texans vacation in Mexico without a thought of it being dangerous in any way. And that is mostly true - if you stay in those wonderful vacation spots you won't have a problem. And you can vacation there for less than many other places, just like you can get surgery for less than in most American places.

I do not mean to malign our Mexican neighbors but it is what it is and we shouldn't pretend that it isn't a foreign country with language barriers, social differences and the differences in how the police and government do business which is very different from what we're used to in the U.S.

I hope and pray that this current administration will work toward straightening out our relationship with Mexico and try to remedy the broken down immigration problem which as far as I'm concerned has been created by big business in the U.S. and the lack of jobs in Mexico. We have as much as invited people to immigrate here without the proper papers by virtue of the breakdown in our broken system and the lack of attention our government has given it. In fact, we've encouraged people to come by making it easy for them to stay, giving them jobs, giving them aid, etc., and now people want to be mad at the individuals who have taken advantage of this situation. THAT is what is crazy about the whole thing. We shouldn't be mad at people for wanting to come here. If we want to be angry, we should be mad at the politicians (backed by big business) for not fixing the problem.

Enouigh of that rant! I didn't mean to go off on that I just wanted you to know why I said what I did. Keeping American dollars in the U.S. is impossible. But for each of us individually, it's something we might think about before crossing over the bridge.

Caralee I commend you for working to help people who need the surgery for health reasons. Good for you.

But I take a little bit of an issue with your wholehearted praise of the sleeve surgery. I have had a band to sleeve revision but I did so knowing that 6 or 7 years from now we may learn that there are some pitfalls to having 2/3 of our stomach removed. Remember, 5 years ago the band was the hottest thing since sliced bread.

As time passed and we've gathered more data, we've learned that there are some side effects and problems with the band that make it less than ideal for many people. We don't even know if in the very long term, having that device could cause cancer or other health conditions that would prove that it is not as safe as we all think it is.

So although the sleeve seems like the answer to a prayer, only time will tell. I'm betting that I'm always going to be better off having had the VSG but I know that it may not turn out that way. A prime example of what I'm talking about are all the hundreds of drugs that are created to relieve symptoms and in so many years of use, we learn that they are more lethal and dangerous than the condition they were created to treat.

I just think we all need to get our surgery and live our lives with our eyes wide open and that we should stay as well informed as our research and experience tells us.

Ok, signing off. Debbie Downer.

I really need to get back on my full strength Wellbutrin, right? LOL

Caralee I commend you for working to help people who need the surgery for health reasons. Good for you.

But I take a little bit of an issue with your wholehearted praise of the sleeve surgery. I have had a band to sleeve revision but I did so knowing that 6 or 7 years from now we may learn that there are some pitfalls to having 2/3 of our stomach removed.

I really don't think this will be the case with this surgery, for a number of reasons. One, the digestive track works just as it did before. Two, this procedure isn't as new as insurance companies have claimed. The DS has been performed for close to 25 years, and they have had no adverse affects. This procedure is in essence the first half of the DS. Third, if for some reason some peoples stomach stretch, there is always the RNY to fall back on. For once I am not worried about a procedure. Cheers

What you say makes a lot of sense. And I for one, am hoping that you're right!!

Cheers right back and I hope you have a great week!

I really don't think this will be the case with this surgery, for a number of reasons. One, the digestive track works just as it did before. Two, this procedure isn't as new as insurance companies have claimed. The DS has been performed for close to 25 years, and they have had no adverse affects. This procedure is in essence the first half of the DS. Third, if for some reason some peoples stomach stretch, there is always the RNY to fall back on. For once I am not worried about a procedure. Cheers

Well I hadn't thought I'd ever feel this way but I am HOPING that my stomach DOES stretch out without any damage since at 8.5 months I am still unable to eat more than 6 oz. and unless it's a soupy like consistency 95% of the time I experience discomfort for at least 20 minutes after eating. Sitting down and enjoying a meal however small has not been my reality since being sleeved, sorry to say. :)

Lan..I just realized how close to your goal you are!! Awesome!

It's all so perplexing, I consume a mere 600-800 calories daily (and that's because I just find eating unpleasant!), and yet I get stuck at the same weight for a couple weeks at a time). I am grateful for the weight lost, yet it's ironic that since this surgery losing weight has not been the giant reward I thought it would be. Never the less, thank you very much.

But I take a little bit of an issue with your wholehearted praise of the sleeve surgery. I have had a band to sleeve revision but I did so knowing that 6 or 7 years from now we may learn that there are some pitfalls to having 2/3 of our stomach removed. Remember, 5 years ago the band was the hottest thing since sliced bread.

As time passed and we've gathered more data, we've learned that there are some side effects and problems with the band that make it less than ideal for many people. We don't even know if in the very long term, having that device could cause cancer or other health conditions that would prove that it is not as safe as we all think it is.

So although the sleeve seems like the answer to a prayer, only time will tell. I'm betting that I'm always going to be better off having had the VSG but I know that it may not turn out that way. A prime example of what I'm talking about are all the hundreds of drugs that are created to relieve symptoms and in so many years of use, we learn that they are more lethal and dangerous than the condition they were created to treat.

My Great Aunt June was diagnosed with stomach cancer in 1974. They surgically removed almost all of her stomach, she could still eat normal food, just very small amounts at a time. She continued to drink her beer and smoke her two packs of cigarettes until she passed away in 2007 from lung cancer. Never had another problem with her stomach for the rest of her life. It was because of her experience that my family fully supported me having the sleeve instead of the band. Thankfully my Grandma(June's sister) remembered her having the surgery and what all was involved. I think there is a lot of other similiar cases that suggest people can live fine with just a portion of their stomach.

I do agree with you about the drugs, but drugs can be sold at a profit and will always be attractive to companies to manufacture. Surgeries don't generate the repeat business that big companies need to sustain themselves.

Bill