Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weightlifting?

One concern I have about VSG is being able to do weightlifting again. I know that I can't lift more than, what, 15 pounds for six weeks? But after that -- after I'm *structurally* healed, will I have enough energy on a restricted diet to actually build up my muscles? I'll be turning 40 this year, and along with VSG as a birthday present, I'd like to start hitting the gym and building back the muscles I was so proud of in my 20's. Is that going to be out of the question on a 500-600 calorie/day diet? As we get older, we tend to lose muscle. I don't want to accelerate that process with severe Protein deficiency; I want to reverse it! Anyone (even the ladies) got any thoughts on bodybuilding and weightlifting post WLS (and post-VSG in particular)?

You will be able to lift no different than before your surgery. You will have to give it several weeks and I'd make sure to get the approval of your doc before starting back up. But energy will not be an issue.

I had similar concerns about working out, sports in general, and tennis specifically. But the energy level is not an issue once you are fully recovered from the surgery. It takes a few weeks. But then you are fine. Rest assured!

what keeps me going is the motivation i feel when i see the results on my body and the way it's changing. so i say, keep up your weightlifting, eat well balanced diet, forget the junk food, and you'll definitely see the results. goodluck:thumbup:

I have been lifting weights for 6 years now. I stopped for about 2 weeks after surgery. I held off doing ab work a little longer than that. I didn't see how doing squats and lunges and using the weight machines at the gym could possibly be harmful to my stomach.

Thanks for all the responses!

I actually asked my surgeon about this, and he pretty much agreed with what you all are saying; of course, I can't do any heavy lifting until I'm healed, and even then I'm not supposed to go too heavy for a couple of months, but after that my stomach should be back to basically full strength, and the weightlifting should help to counteract the muscle wasting and loose skin, so I'm excited about that.

And it sounds like the malaise and fatigue can be avoided if I'm careful to keep my food intake high-quality. As a man who's used to wolfing his meals in vast portions and not eating for hours and hours on end, changing my mindset to small portions, eaten slowly, taken regularly, is going to be tough! But the outcome is worth it.

I'm still six weeks out (I go for psych, nutritionist, and pre-op endoscopy next week), but I'm starting to get a little excited, despite my trepidation.

As a man who's used to wolfing his meals in vast portions and not eating for hours and hours on end, changing my mindset to small portions, eaten slowly, taken regularly, is going to be tough! But the outcome is worth it.

It may seem like a hard change now. But honestly your sleeve leaves you little choice in the matter. You will eat small portions...guaranteed. The hard part is more of a mental thing getting used to it. But it will happen. You will be fine. And you will have energy. That was never a problem for me once I was initially recovered from the surgery.

How about adding supplements to your diet ,after your healed & start working out . i have been turned on to this great product called( nitric oxide) it helps with oxygen levels in your body giving you a great pump !!! also ( Gama o ) = natural testosterone booster. i won't take anything unless it's all natural .. but with the sleeve ???????????

I can swallow pills. No problem. Just had to wait for the stomach to heal. So you should be able to resume any supplements. At least from the 'ability to swallow' standpoint. Of course, your doc should be advised of whatever you are taking to be on the safe side.