Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you take off your shoes?

Do you take off your shoes when you enter someone else's home?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you take off your shoes when you enter someone else's home?

• Always!
    • Never!
    • Only if they're a close friend or family
    • Only if they ask
    • Only if I *think* they might be dirty

Where DH grew up (Sweden) they take their shoes off. He still does it, even at my parents' house. I usually ask the person if they have a preference (including my boss, who is from Canada - and she always says "only if you want to.")

I have mixed thoughts. I never want people trailing dirt in, esp since our entryway is slate and it's a PITA to clean... but on the OTHER hand, we've had people take their shoes off & had to ask them to put them back on because they had some FUNKY odors.

I'll certainly take my shoes off if I'm asked to, but I also don't want to be the only one who took my shoes off, so if I'm not asked, I leave them on until I see a sign it's "ok" to remove them.

At home, I never wear shoes, but that doesn't mean anything regarding what anyone else has to do. At my grandparents' house, the kids always had to take off their shoes, probably because we weren't any good at making sure they were clean. My brother in law's parents usually want people to take off their shoes, but if they are having a party or a get together, they don't require it (unless it's muddy outside or something).

Although not always possible to enforce, I try not to allow anyone to enter MY HOME without removing their footwear. I live in Manhattan and there are far too many inconsiderate dog owners lacking in moral and community conscience. These people believe it is their dog's right to foul the pavements and that they do not have a duty to pick-up any droppings.

I have a shoe rack by the front door, this seems to act as a good indicator to visitors so rarely have to resort to actually asking someone to remove their footwear.

Regards,

I take note of what the host/hostess is wearing as well as the other guests when I go to someone's home and then decide whether or not to wear my shoes. But I must say, I am very cold blooded and keep my house warmer than lots of my friends and I have spent many a miserable evening in other people's homes because my feet were absolutely freezing without shoes. It's hard to follow the conversation when you spend the evening fantasizing about the heater in your car! When I visit close friends it is not uncommon for me to bring a throw or ask for a blanket.

Goose-pimpley Hope

Does anyone remember the Sex and The City episode where the hostess of a party asked all of her guests to remove their shoes - and Carrie's shoes got stolen?

LOL This thread just made me remember that episode.

For what it's worth, I think it's kind of tacky to ask people to remove their shoes when coming into my home. I have a doormat for them to wipe their feet on. If I didn't want people walking on my carpet, I would have had it installed on the ceiling.

Does anyone remember the Sex and The City episode where the hostess of a party asked all of her guests to remove their shoes - and Carrie's shoes got stolen?

LOL This thread just made me remember that episode.

For what it's worth, I think it's kind of tacky to ask people to remove their shoes when coming into my home. I have a doormat for them to wipe their feet on. If I didn't want people walking on my carpet, I would have had it installed on the ceiling.

That is so funny about the carpet on the ceiling...

I totally thought about that Sex in the City episode and her Malano's got stolen.. I think that's why I have that attidute about it was because that women on there was so nasty.

I've actually never been asked to remove my shoes before entering someones home. I think I'd be pissy if someone did though but I guess it depends on how it's addressed.

I do always remove my shoes. But I have a question that has bugged me for YEARS because it is uncomfortable doing it and I don't know if it is proper. Should you still remove your shoes if you have sandals on and you will be barefoot?????

Okay so up here in the arctic(Calgary actually) 8 months of the year requires heavy duty winter boots and all the gear that goes with it but in the other 4 months, I think I would be offended if someone came in and didn't take their shoes off. I sometimes have little people over that are crawling around on my floors and the bottoms of people's shoes are gonna have some pretty gross stuff on em...besides why does it matter how clean the bottom of your socks stay? It's not like you lick the bottom of your feet...lol.

Lanie

Getting banded July 8th.06 Woohooo!!

I always take my remove my shoes when entering anyone's house because in England it is considered good manners to respect another person's home, however it is also good manners not to inconvenience others so the host often says"oh no don't bother', while being secretly pleased that you did !

I do always remove my shoes. But I have a question that has bugged me for YEARS because it is uncomfortable doing it and I don't know if it is proper. Should you still remove your shoes if you have sandals on and you will be barefoot?????

Anyone venture to answer this yet???

Hmmm, I don't have a problem one way or another with shoes...take them off if you want to, don't if you want them on....at my house anyhow.....and I hate shoes and love to walk barefoot -- but only in my own home. I would not take my sandals off and walk barefoot unless I knew the other person REALLY well. I say - leave 'em on for the most part.

Guest ASPHALT ANGEL

In my house everyone takes their shoes off at the door. When I go to someones house I will take my shoes off unless their house is dirtier that my shoes. I usually see if they are wearing shoes too, if they are then I will leave them on.

Jenna, if you came to my house and had on sandals I would give you a pair of slipper socks, if you didn't want to go barefoot.

When we all go to my moms house we take our slippers with us and put them on when we come in.

I have been living with asian people ever since I was 16, years old, so I always take my shoes off. I am not comfortable wearing shoes in the house. My children have also been trained to take their shoes off. We keep our shoes near the door, and when they were very young, we wouldput their shoes on at the door, and when we came home we would take them off for them at the door. by the time they were 3 years old , they would automatically take their shoes off at the door without even thinking about it. And we take our shoes off when we visit other people's homes also. believe it or not, I could care less about the carpet. Its more of a habbit for me now. Although I don't ask guests to remove their shoes, as I don't want to make them feel uncomfortable if they're not familiar with this custom, but, I can understand why someone would request others to do so in their home.Usually when I have guests who are asian, they automatically remove their shoes anyways, as it is their custom to do so.