Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you take off your shoes?

Do you take off your shoes when you enter someone else's home?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you take off your shoes when you enter someone else's home?

• Always!
    • Never!
    • Only if they're a close friend or family
    • Only if they ask
    • Only if I *think* they might be dirty

No milk in plastic bags here. That's actually always bothered me because one would think that paper cartons or glass would be more easily recycled than plastic bags. Canada is so pro-environment that I've never understood why you would sell milk in plastic bags. Any thoughts on this, Canucks?

:) I don't know why we are sold milk in plastic bags but this has been the way of things for a number of years now. We have the option of a one-litre or two-litre carton or a bag containing 3 one-litre bags of milk. Of course you have to make a one time buy of the special jug that you drop your bag of milk into before opening it. Many years ago we used to have returnable 3-litre jugs made out of hard plastic but not anymore.

It is true that "green" Canada does use a lot of plastic bags but it seems that we will soon be recycling them as part of our recyclable garbage and many of our grocery chains already sell recyclable shopping bags which you can use over and over again. The ones which I and my mate have got are really great. We have used them as carry-ons on planes and as beach bags and we paid 5 bucks for 5 of them. Because they are made for carrying groceries they are very strong and the store will replace them for free if they fall apart.

@Enterprise: do come to Toronto. We are situated in the same province as Thunder Bay but we are in the south. You will notice great differences with respect to size and affluence, I am sure, but all Canadians look pale and sickly after a long Canadian winter, even our visible minorities. :phanvan By May our local temperatures are in the 60s, 70s, and 80s and the outdoor cafes are open. This is when you get to see huge numbers of pasty people soaking up the rays. It is one of the natural wonders of Canada. :heh: Haha

I would think that 1 plastic bag creates less garbage than a plastic or reg. milk container? I usually by the bags, and slip 'em into my reusable milk jug thingy... cause they're cheaper! In Saskatchewan we had 4L jugs of milk, but here in New Brunswick, the biggest I've seen is 2L. :)

hi, could you tell me what is port revision? I am 8weeks postop and have trouble with my port area filling with liquid and forming a little pouch. The doctor drained it and checked it for bacteria. there was none, but am wondering why this occurs. thanks

I would think that 1 plastic bag creates less garbage than a plastic or reg. milk container? I usually by the bags, and slip 'em into my reusable milk jug thingy... cause they're cheaper! In Saskatchewan we had 4L jugs of milk, but here in New Brunswick, the biggest I've seen is 2L. :)

In fabulous southern Ontario, the province which believes that it is the centre of the Canuck universe, we don't get them 4 litre jugs. I do know that my mate and myself prefer the milk en sacs en plastique arrangement because I am always baffled about which category of our elaborate garbage system those cartons belong to. Are they cardboard and therefore eligible to be recycled under the paper category. :) But they are coated with something mysterious. :) If this is plastic then these boxes may belong in our glass and plastics category. Or maybe, being a hybrid, these cartons are just plain garbage. :) Another reason why I like milk in bags is that those plastic bags left over after the milk has been consumed pack down real small. The final reason why I like milk in plastic bags is that you can say "honey, is there another udder/bladder of milk in the fridge or are we down to the last one?" :D

hi, could you tell me what is port revision? I am 8weeks postop and have trouble with my port area filling with liquid and forming a little pouch. The doctor drained it and checked it for bacteria. there was none, but am wondering why this occurs. thanks

Delo, I think that you must go to see your doctor again for I find your experience to be awfully strange. I would also like to see you repost this question as a new post in one of the two categories that you will see listed when you go to the top of your screen and hit "home" on the LBT chat menu. When you enter this site from home you will see two categories which deal with any and all questions to do with the lapband. Enter either one of these and post this question under new topic! You will need to give your question a title and I would suggest something along the line of Help! My port area is filling with liquid! By making a fresh post on one of these two subsections of LBT you will ensure the maximum amount of readers and you will be sure of getting advice from oldtimers who have experienced your problem. Good luck, grrl.

That makes a lot of sense. Here in Miami, where you can find more Bentleys than parking spots but not a single recycling bin anywhere, I am hard pressed to find a place to recycle plastic bags (much less anything else). So I try to avoid using them at all costs.

That makes a lot of sense. Here in Miami, where you can find more Bentleys than parking spots but not a single recycling bin anywhere, I am hard pressed to find a place to recycle plastic bags (much less anything else). So I try to avoid using them at all costs.

Wow. That is interesting. In my city the garbage thing is quite elaborate. We have one bin for paper goods, another for glass and plastics, another for used paper tissues, sanitary napkins, diapers, leftover food stuffs including uneaten meat and bones, kitty litter, and then anything not covered by the above is considered unrecyclable and is placed in the garbage. We also have a toxic waste pick-up for unused paints and stains, etc.

As you can see, the local approach to garbage is quite elaborate. I had a French friend babysitting the house while we were in Turkey and even though I printed out The Rules he almost had a nervous breakdown. :help: haha :)

I went to England and this gal had baby blue carpet. We have to remove our shoes. I had on my Reeboks and it was a real pain to take them off every time I went in or out of the house. In my house, no one takes off their shoes. If the carpets get dirty I have the carpets cleaned. I would much rather do that than insult guests. Besides, I have 5 dogs and two cats, plus Mother. My carpets are usually pretty grimy anyway. In fact, after the 7 puppies I recently had my carpets cleaned and people notices how much better they looked. I think I need to have them cleaned more often. But, outside of Japan, asking folks to take off their shoes when they visit is rude because they implication is that your carpet is more important the your guests.

I was thinking about this topic just the other day because we had some visitors whom we hadn't seen for many years. When they entered the house they straight away took off their shoes. How Canadian we all are, I thought.

We have hardwood floors and a bunch of oriental rugs. They are much better for not showing dirt.

I am an American, and when I lived at home with my family I never took my shoes off, but when I was a teenager and started dating an Asian guy I had to take my shoes off in the Asian peoples home. When we moved in together we just always took off our shoes, so for 20 years I have taken my shoes off automatically when I enter someones home,even if they are American and do not require it. I have never asked anyone to remove their shoes in my home because I don't want to make my guests feel uncomfortable. As for my carpet? I have a nice little mat near the door to wipe the bottom of their shoes on should they need to be. I have never had a guest that was rude enough to come trotting through my home with their shoes full of mud. I guess it's just a cultural thing.

I am an American, and when I lived at home with my family I never took my shoes off, but when I was a teenager and started dating an Asian guy I had to take my shoes off in the Asian peoples home. When we moved in together we just always took off our shoes, so for 20 years I have taken my shoes off automatically when I enter someones home,even if they are American and do not require it. I have never asked anyone to remove their shoes in my home because I don't want to make my guests feel uncomfortable. As for my carpet? I have a nice little mat near the door to wipe the bottom of their shoes on should they need to be. I have never had a guest that was rude enough to come trotting through my home with their shoes full of mud. I guess it's just a cultural thing.

I just love this thread. I find it fascinating. As a Canuck I have always been so used to shucking my shoes, and I have got to confess that I absolutely hate wearing footwear, that once I learned that this wasn't done south of the border I began to feel very, very nervous about ever visiting American homes. I figured that I might freak folks out what with my tendency to drop shoes at the mere sight of a foyer. (I am real good about leaving the rest of my clothes on, eh.:) )

Bitter has, however, made a good point in her earlier post, the one describing her visit to a home in England. Some footwear is more elaborate and this will cause additional problems when it comes this biz of taking them off and putting them back on again. I have never really thought about this since shoe removal is the way of the Canuck and many of us Canucks do have a chair near the front door, a critical item for older folks and winter boots. At the same time, there is indeed this issue of elderly/handicapped/chubby folk and the dreary routine of shoe removal and then gittin' 'em back on agin.

My mother-in-law is a typical Canuck. She is a clean freak who immigrated here from Germany. We are required to remove our shoes when entering her cottage as well as her house. And she will scream at anyone who forgets this rule. My parents were also fussy. They had broadloom.

I am kind of casual. I have hardwood floors, oriental rugs, and a kitchen floor which is tiled in the exact colour of dirt. I take my shoes off because I hate wearing anything, including socks, on my feet. I always have.

I once saw photos of a Japanese woodworking shop and was ever so impressed because the workers were barefooted. I tried working barefooted in my first bluecollar gig. This didn't last long.

Long post, eh.

This thread is funny...

Growing up, a friend of mine's mother actually had a sign at their door. It asked you to "Please remove your shoes" in some catchy, crafty rhyme. Her house was IMMACULATE though, and I think she was OCD...

My mother-in-law and sister-in-law are the same way too. Immaculate homes and OCD. No sign, but you are "expected" ro remove your shoes. Not as you enter the house, but before! They have a little chair, rug, etc. set up in the garage for you to sit down, take your shoes off and leave them there!

I always take my shoes off when entering someone's house, unless they adamintaly tell me not too or it is someone I know who's house is dirty and my socks will end up all black on the bottom!

I NEVER ask anyone to take their shoes off. If they start to, I tell them not too, but they ALWAYS do. I have a pretty clean house with light carpet though, so maybe that's why they feel they should - they don't want to unintentionally make a mess or something??

btw... I am an American in Wisconsin - so closer to Canada than others. Most I know DO take their shoes off. I don't know if it's 'cause 1/2 of the year we have snow to contend with and get used to taking them off (for the floor will get wet if we don't or what....) but that's my theory! =o)

Doesn't it get a bit cold in Canada without shoes? I live in a hot climate and wear my Canadian sheepskin slippers all year round. I love those things. Of course, I have cold feet. I'm like my dad. Mother always complained about his cold feet. But I just don't understand folks who think their carpets are more important than people.

My feet are usually hot, as is the rest of me. I come from a family who suffers from the heat. Even in the winter I sleep lightly clad, my feeting sticking out from under the covers, and with a fan on. And I walk around sockless until the snow begins to fly.

My husband is like you, Bitter. He has cold feet, and he used to have a lovely pair of Canadian sheepskin slippers. Had 'em until our current cat, the horrid stray, ate 'em. :( She is the most destructive cat we have ever owned. :phanvan She is slowly eating all the fur off the deer skin which hangs over the foot of our bed. In the morning we find two piles of it, one in the bed and the other on the floor. :)

It would appear, Sheesha, that either our Canadian way with shedding footwear had seeped south to Wisconsin or your Wisconsin way had long ago travelled up here to Canada. Who knows who started this? :) I now know that I will feel comfortable visiting people in Wisconsin. :)