Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you take off your shoes?

Do you take off your shoes when you enter someone else's home?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you take off your shoes when you enter someone else's home?

• Always!
    • Never!
    • Only if they're a close friend or family
    • Only if they ask
    • Only if I *think* they might be dirty

If you are concerned about getting athlete's foot from taking your shoes off when visiting people, you need to find a better crowd to hang with.

In all seriousness, I think athlete's foot is something you catch going around barefooted in warm moist environments, like public showers. In a relatively dry environment like people's private homes, you are probably stepping on carpet or hardwood flooring and not something that should be of concern.

"Athlete's foot is a very common skin infection of the foot caused by fungus. The fungus that commonly causes athlete's foot is called Trichophyton. When the feet or other areas of the body stay moist, warm, and irritated, this fungus can thrive and infect the upper layer of the skin. Fungal infections can occur anywhere on the body, including the scalp, trunk, extremities (arms and legs), hands, feet, nails, groin, and other areas.

Athlete's foot is caused by the ringworm fungus ("tinea" in medical jargon). Athlete's foot is also called tinea pedis. The fungus that causes athlete's foot can be found on many locations, including floors in gyms, locker rooms, swimming pools, nail salons, and in socks and clothing. The fungus can also be spread directly from person to person or by contact with these objects.

However, without proper growing conditions (a warm, moist environment), the fungus may not easily infect the skin. Up to 70% of the population may have athlete's foot at some time during their lives." copied from http://www.medicinenet.com/athletes_foot/article.htm

Does feet not get and stay warm in shoes? I didn't see anthing in the above that said someone has to be dirty to have athelte's foot.

:confused_smile:

If you are concerned about getting athlete's foot from taking your shoes off when visiting people, you need to find a better crowd to hang with.

In all seriousness, I think athlete's foot is something you catch going around barefooted in warm moist environments, like public showers. In a relatively dry environment like people's private homes, you are probably stepping on carpet or hardwood flooring and not something that should be of concern.

Sorry for your situation but LOL the way you put it is hilarious. So true. HEEHEE. Keep the shoes on.:confused_smile:

...as an amputee with no ankle function, I have to remove my prosthesis to remove my shoe.....and to remove my prosthesis I have to remove my trousers...which also means there has to be a place to sit down to do it, and then I have trouble walking because of the change in the alignment of the prosthetic....and if I know you well enough to take off my pants, take off my leg, take off my shoe, put on my leg, put on my pants...I probably ain't worried about your floor....and by then most people decide with a one-legged fat guy in their front room in his shorts, whatever it was they had in mind ain't that big a deal if he keeps his shoes ON....

Different places seem to have different customs. In Canada.. you took your shoes off (at least where I lived), Ecuador you didn't. Here in Cali.. I respect the wishes of the home I am in. Most don't ask you to take your shoes off. Those that do are usually very clean conscious so I am comfortable complying.

In my home I don't have people take their shoes off. I don't have any carpet (I'm a pet owner) and no matter how well trained the animals are they still can leave unwelcome surprises.

I personally think it is gross to have peoples bare feet on my floor and I hate having things 'stick' to my feet at other peoples houses. that being said, I take my cues from the owner of the house or other people that are there. If they are shoe-less, I take them off. I do have some feet issues that I had surgery for last year and if they are bothering me I just ask that I keep them on since I am not supposed to be bare footed at all.

In my home I don't have people take their shoes off. I don't have any carpet (I'm a pet owner) and no matter how well trained the animals are they still can leave unwelcome surprises.

36_33_12.gif I am the same way. I refuse to have carpet because I have animals and they do have accidents.

I personally think it is gross to have peoples bare feet on my floor and I hate having things 'stick' to my feet at other peoples houses. that being said, I take my cues from the owner of the house or other people that are there. .

I don't like to go barefooted at anyone's home except family. Well let me rephrase that, 1 DD's home, DB's and my DS's home. My other family members, AINT NO WAY!

in some cultures people always take their shoes off i have muslim friends who think its very rude to leave their shoes on in their house or mine

It depends If I'm coming in from the pasture and have mud or crap on my shoes there coming off, hell half the time I take them off before I get in the truck. As far as someone getting offended because its against thier cultural norms f'em get off my land, I have had it with curtural diversity if people want things the way they were where they are from they can take thier sweet ass back to whatever shit hole they left in the first place. Just m2c

I must say that in my own home, we always take our shoes off. We put in a new cherry wood floor last year and began to remove shoes at that time. But never before that, but now that we do remove them, I wish I had everyone do it years ago, because the floors stay much cleaner now. When I go to someone elses home, I always ask them what they would like. It's just curtious, I think.

The word is spelled courteous, Pattygreen. It comes from the French: la courtoisie. Congratulations on your new floors, by the way.

The word is spelled courteous, Pattygreen. It comes from the French: la courtoisie. Congratulations on your new floors, by the way.

Do you look for me or am I just lucky? I guess I can start calling you Ms. spell check.

Do you look for me or am I just lucky? I guess I can start calling you Ms. spell check.

You can call me Ms. Unpleasant for I strive to give you what you've been handing out to the other ladies here: arrogance and a know-it-all attitude... God told me to do it, eh.

You can call me Ms. Unpleasant for I strive to give you what you've been handing out to the other ladies here: arrogance and a know-it-all attitude... God told me to do it, eh.

LOL Green! I <heart> you! :scared2:

I always take my shoes off unless the house is particularly unpleasant, but never go barefoot. I always have socks, or in the case of sandals, I carry a pair with me.

It is a cultural thing in my case, I just think it is a courtesy to do this. People do the same when the come to my house as well. White carpeting throughout makes it a necessity, but even if my carpet was black or I had hardwood floors, it is still cleaner to do this.

I popped in here to take a peek and chuckle about how far off topic this thread had veered, but to my surprise.......wow.....11 pages of shoe removal vs. shoe retention. Must be more of a controversy than I had previously imagined.