Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you take off your shoes?

Do you take off your shoes when you enter someone else's home?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you take off your shoes when you enter someone else's home?

• Always!
    • Never!
    • Only if they're a close friend or family
    • Only if they ask
    • Only if I *think* they might be dirty

Are youg uys kidding me? Unless I'm going right back out, my bra is off within the first 5 mins of getting home. Usually the first 5 seconds. And sometimes, it's off before I'm home. I hate bras, and I really don't like clothes all that much. I will compromise with a knit house dress, a big tshirt, or a bathrobe/nightgown. I NEVER understood the point of being dressed and trying to lounge in jeans and a shirt when I'm in my own home and no one is coming over.

When I was a teenager growing up in Los Angeles I went barefoot for a year. Not an easy "feet," (get it?) especially in Los Angeles (the land of few gentle meadows). But then again, it probably would have been even harder in Canada or Wisconsin, if you catch my "drift" (get it?). I can say without hesitation that I do not recommend going barefoot for a year in Los Angeles.

During that period of time I did not need to consider whether or not to remove my shoes when entering someone's home. But then again, I was invited into few homes at that time, so it did not come up much.

That reminds me of a guy that was at the university where I did my undergrad work. He NEVER wore shoes. Ever. He graduated at the same time I did, and I remember him walking through the ceremony with no shoes.

At home I am always barefoot, braless, and I wear either leggings or baggy linen or cotton pants with a big cotton T or sweater or a big linen shirt.

I sleep in either a size 5x cotton shirt or fine white cotton night gowns. These kind of night gowns are hard to find these days. You have to go to those stores which sell romantic, dreams of Victorian days type of clothing to find them. They are made in India. I like them because they are made of pure cotton and have no carton characters on 'em.

But before I wear anything I have to cut the label out; those bluddy things have edges which cut human flesh.

During the winter I wear a lot of black and during the summer I wear a lot of white. This is because I am a Winter and very few colours look good on me. I make up for this by having a colourful house.

Well, there is more information about me than you wanted to know! I guess I've got coffee fingers this ayem.

Isn't it funny how customs are so different? I am in Australia (Perth) and I have never really thought about taking my shoes off in the house because of the carpet. I generally wear slip on sandals all year round, so will often kick them off, but that is a comfort thing, for no other reason. I wouldn't dream of asking a visitor to take their shoes off, although I have been asked to do so once or twice when visiting other people's houses. Happy to oblige, but find it weird and it is very unusual.

For those of you who regularly take your shoes off or who worry about your carpets, do you not have a decent doormat where people can brush their shoes down? Here, THAT's the big sin - coming in without wiping your feet! I'm 45 and I can still hear echoes of my mother's voice yelling "Did you wipe your feet???" as I come in the door.

Couldn't answer the poll as I looked for the option

"I do what they do" as in as soon as I arrive, who ever answers the door I glance at their feet, also shoes in the foyer gives a sign.

I am a Canuck with big problems. I absolutely cannot stand to wear socks and shoes and yet I have never, ever troubled to get a pedicure and my feetsies are, quite frankly, drag queen sized. :omg: Nevertheless, I persist in flapping my naked largies at whomever whenever I can get away with it. :) I must say that when a grrl is blessed with flippers the size of mine she has no problem angling her way through Water. :) This can be useful. ;)

I was brought up to remove my shoes at home.

I typically take them off at home...and if I'm at your house for more than an hour I'll ask if I may take them off there.

Recently I started the no shoe at home rule just to keep outside germs from getting to the inside. We walk through so much nastiness, I just don't want to have to combat it at home.

But that rule applies to me, my daughter and really good friends...and it's a request for the friends not a demand.

I am a Canuck with big problems. I absolutely cannot stand to wear socks and shoes and yet I have never, ever troubled to get a pedicure and my feetsies are, quite frankly, drag queen sized. :omg: Nevertheless, I persist in flapping my naked largies at whomever whenever I can get away with it. :confused: I must say that when a grrl is blessed with flippers the size of mine she has no problem angling her way through Water. :D This can be useful. :(

Green, I also hate to wear shoes and socks. I always joke that I don't put on proper shoes till the snow gets above the cork line, which in our balmy west coast climate, means that I can get away without shoes for most of the year.

I have owned the same two pair of socks for many years now, one wool and one cotton.

However, I do get pedicures as often as I can which turns out to be not often enough. In my work I'm up close and personal with people and grooming is very important. My feet end up with unsightly old alligator scales if I don't attend them properly.

I'll take them off if explicitly asked, or if I notice they have shoes sitting around in the entryway, or they are shoe-less.

We don't wear shoes at our house - if we do, it's a rush in, rush out thing because we are renting. I would want my carpets respected if I was renting out my abode. When we left our last rental, the landlady said the carpets were so clean, it looked like nobody had lived there. I like that. :) When we get a house of our own, I plan on having a mud room so that shoes come OFF. If I have to wrestle you to the ground, it's going to happen. I walk around my house barefoot - I don't like stepping in goodness-knows-what and I stepped on a sticker (those sharp poky things from plants outside) once.

Green, I also hate to wear shoes and socks. I always joke that I don't put on proper shoes till the snow gets above the cork line, which in our balmy west coast climate, means that I can get away without shoes for most of the year.

I have owned the same two pair of socks for many years now, one wool and one cotton.

However, I do get pedicures as often as I can which turns out to be not often enough. In my work I'm up close and personal with people and grooming is very important. My feet end up with unsightly old alligator scales if I don't attend them properly.

Oh, yah. Alligator feet. Yep. Got 'em. Good thing I don't work with actual humans. :(

It didn't have a 'it depends' response in the poll which is what I would have chosen. I am always barefoot at home simply because I prefer it. I am from an Indian background and I know that a lot of my relatives always take their shoes off when entering someones house so I just see if there is a pile of shoes by the front door and add mine to the stack if needed.

hi all

for as long as I can remember (child) we was allways told to take shoes of before going into anyones house. being polite.

to this day I still do habbit I sopose.

my best friend (my 2nd mum)lost my mum so she took over bless her

wouldnt dare not to as its like a show house.

as a child remember going out with uncle to 1 of his relatives house. she told us that we had to put slippers on out of box she had for when vistors came round. yuck!!!

being a child I protested would have rather had bare feet. but got clip round ear hole instead.

In my house everyone leaves their shoes at the door. 2 of my sons have severe allergies and asthma, and it's better for them to not have allergens dragged through the carpet. We have a foyer area with tiles so that area is cleaned daily.

When we lived in an apartment and had hardwood floor we permitted people to wear shoes inside, as the floors were wet-mopped daily.

Our reason for it is purely medical.

I can't believe some people would be offended by being asked to remove their shoes. I know DH is from India and doesn't wear shoes in the house, nor did he growing up. It's cultural.

In Canada we always removed our shoes - even in the middle of winter when you come in with snow on your shoes and it's all melted in a puddle at the front door, you still take off your shoes at the front entrance. Now in the U.S. no one takes off their shoes and the first time someone came over and didn't take off their shoes it made me very uncomfortable. My kid plays on the floor - the floor they're stepping all over with their dirty, pesticide/herbicide/dog poop/bug guts-covered soles. Bleck!! It's bad enough my dog gets his wet feet all over the floor after coming in and making tracks - much less people doing it too. I have enough to do without washing the floor every bloody day. I don't care if they want me to keep my shoes on - I always take them off. I just don't feel comfortable going to someone's house and potentially making it dirty with whatever is on the bottom of my shoes.

...as an amputee with no ankle function, I have to remove my prosthesis to remove my shoe.....and to remove my prosthesis I have to remove my trousers...which also means there has to be a place to sit down to do it, and then I have trouble walking because of the change in the alignment of the prosthetic....and if I know you well enough to take off my pants, take off my leg, take off my shoe, put on my leg, put on my pants...I probably ain't worried about your floor....and by then most people decide with a one-legged fat guy in their front room in his shorts, whatever it was they had in mind ain't that big a deal if he keeps his shoes ON....

I'll amend my above post. That is, unless you're Jack, in which case I'd rather him keep his shoes on than have a naked, one-legged guy running through my house! :(