Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you take off your shoes?

Do you take off your shoes when you enter someone else's home?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you take off your shoes when you enter someone else's home?

• Always!
    • Never!
    • Only if they're a close friend or family
    • Only if they ask
    • Only if I *think* they might be dirty

Aww, hang in there Dody. *hugs* I can't imagine what you're going through but I'm sure that God's not punishing you.

Marianne, what's sangha? Oh wait.. I'll google it! :)

*hugs Dody again*

I was raised in a family that always took their shoes off upon entering the house. I always had my kids take their shoes off at the door (mostly because they were loaded with sand when they were young), and I guess it just carried on. I think however you go about it, it is your home and you should be able to do as you please. Truthfully, I've never had to ask anyone to remove their shoes. My kids all follow the same rules they had as kids, and my friends that come over always slip off their shoes, perhaps because they see me barefoot all the time.

I guess this is a case of to each their own. :)

Dody

If you come to my house you'll want to keep them on. Your likly to step on a lego or last nights mashed potatoes. However I do take my shoes off in my own room, which children are not allowed in. I would automaticly take my shoes off if i walked in someones house and there shoes were by the door. I used to take off my shoes at every one of my friends house when i lived in Ca, but thats because of the red clay dirt that really stains.

Aww, hang in there Dody. *hugs* I can't imagine what you're going through but I'm sure that God's not punishing you.

Marianne, what's sangha? Oh wait.. I'll google it! :)

*hugs Dody again*

Catches the hug and thanks her friend.

When you google sangha let me know what or where it is too. I have no clue.

I know that God never punishes. He does what he can to watch out for me. That is why the problem was discovered here. He is looking out for me.

Dody

Sangha is a word in Indian languages that can be translated roughly as "association" or "assembly". It is commonly used in several senses to refer to Buddhist or Jain groups. Traditionally, in Buddhism almost always has one of two meanings: most commonly, sangha means the order of ordained Buddhist monks or nuns (that is, there is one sangha of monks and one of nuns). In a stricter sense, sangha can mean the assembly of all beings possessing some degree of enlightenment. This is referred to as the arya-sangha or noble sangha.

That's what it means. She takes off her shoes when going to services. Right?

I feel the same, lol warts and fungas and tinea, yucky. Not all over my floor thanks.

But I do admit, I removed all the carpet and replaced it with timber, and the only carpet is in the bedrooms and is very dark grey. So I dont worry about stains - our last carpet was a mushroom colour and by the time the boys were 4 and 6 it looked like wall to wall pizza.

I'm with you on the foot fungus stuff. :omg: If you take off your shoes, socks are preferred. Actually, I've never asked anyone to do so myself. When we took the kids to Gymboree Play & Music, no shoes were allowed and socks were required for obvious reasons.

My boys are 5 yrs and 3 yrs (turning 4 in July) and I completely understand where you're coming from. We recently had to cut a couple of holes in the carpet from where they poured OJ. We took the bissel carpet cleaner to it, but I guess the smell lingered in the pad. I kid you not, I thought we had a skunk in the house a few days later. The only remedy was to cut out that section of carpet. We are now pricing laminate flooring b/c carpet is not going back into this house. In another home, we had the floating laminate flooring...no glue required...and we LOVED it. This is one of my all time favorite pics taken back in '03. The Kix Cereal was easily swept up. I want this flooring again!!

post-205645-13813133633089_thumb.jpg

post-205997-13813133417249_thumb.jpg

I built my last house and lived in it for 10 years. I insisted on 2 things. No smoking and no shoes. When I had a party, I always put "seed" shoes by the front door.

I had very light beige carpet and when I left 10 years later, it had never been cleaned and didn't need to be. Spot cleaning (literally) was all it ever got.

I currently live in an apartment. Shoes? Who cares? :heh:

3 loves ~ That picture is so cute of your boys....1 has his shoes off and 1 has his shoes on!!! LOL!!! Thanks for sharing!! I would love to have hard wood floors or at least some that looks like hard wood! Lots of less hassel to clean I'm sure.

The group of folks I study Buddhism with. The place where we meet is to be treated with respect and that's why we take our shoes off. The feet are the lowest part of the body physically as well as spiritually. You don't allow your feet to point towards anyone. You sit Indian style, with legs to the side or your legs beneath you.

Sorry I hijacked the thread there.

I only take off my shoes at someone's house if I live in Canada or if, when I walk in, I see that they don't have shoes on.

My family take their shoes off in our house. We do not expect people to take theirs off when they enter our home, but they do tend to offer to do so.

My friends and family are more important then the carpet... I want them to be comfortable how ever they perfer to walk into my home... shoes or no shoes...

It just sounds rather stuffy and arrogant to ask people to take off their shoes just to keep your carpet a bit cleaner... hell their feet could be nasty so shoes could be better.

I want my guest to feel welcome and comfortable and I don't have a lot of silly rules about "my stuff"... I can always buy more stuff... but I can't "buy" new friends and family. (not the kind I'd want anyway)

Also who wants to keep their crap ass carpet forever - it usually goes out of style before it wears out.

Sangha is a word in Indian languages that can be translated roughly as "association" or "assembly". It is commonly used in several senses to refer to Buddhist or Jain groups. Traditionally, in Buddhism almost always has one of two meanings: most commonly, sangha means the order of ordained Buddhist monks or nuns (that is, there is one sangha of monks and one of nuns). In a stricter sense, sangha can mean the assembly of all beings possessing some degree of enlightenment. This is referred to as the arya-sangha or noble sangha.

That's what it means. She takes off her shoes when going to services. Right?

I'm assuming you have the correct answer, but I don't know for sure. It seems very logical to me...so it is probably the case.

Dody

Yeah, when I say timber, I mean laminate. 3Loves I can so identify with that picture. We've got the same type of stuff and its fantastic. It doesnt scratch either. We have it right through the entire house in a lovely dark red colour.

As well as kids, we had a as a bilious cat who puked up orange cat biscuits every day, several major coffee spills, our casual dining furniture sitting on carpet, not to mention massive kid vomits left right and centre, eeeeeew. I will never ever ever live on carpet again when I saw what came out of that every time it was cleaned and what was under it when it was finally removed.

Interestingly, our son's asthma and eczema is vastly improved now we have no carpet and have replaced upholstered sofas with leather ones. We also have no drapes, I much prefer blinds.

We usually take our shoes off at home. This has always been done at my mother's (I used to live in Asia when was a kid) and kept the tradition.

It's done because of comfort, but also because of cleanliness (can't even dare to imagine all the dirt and ugly germs we've trampled on those dirty city streets all day long) but not exactly because we wish to maintain our carpet or rugs immaculate.

I have a small kid too and he loves to play on the floor, so it's best if I try to keep it free from germs, etc, but I'm not really a freak about it. If some friends come to our house, I don't demand or expect them to take their shoes off, but when I go to others people home, I try to look around and see as other people or the hosts do.

At my place, I also have those type of slip in thingies (in cloth or tissue) that doctors use on their shoes for surgery. My parents and my in-laws use them when they come to visit us, that way they don't have to take their shoes off, they put the thingies over their shoes and after they gone, I just throw then in the washing machine. Very practical.:)

niki