Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When did exercising took place in your journey?

Hello everyone ..

Am new here!! and i think this web site is the best thing

that could happen to me right now. Since my OP date been scheduled on the 13th of APRIL, and me starting to panic a bit, the site and all this info's just came in handy :wink:

I have few questions though, so let me start with this ...:

When did you start exercising post-OP?

Were you able to perform like you did pre-OP? or did you feel tired most of the time n outta energy?

When do you think its the proper time to start exercising post-OP?

:thumbup:

You'll be walking right away.... knock yourself out on that, it'll be very difficult for you to overdo it.

When I went for my 1-month appointment, my surgeon wasn't thrilled to know that I wasn't really exercising yet, but I wanted to make sure I was clear for more intense cardio, weights, abdominal stuff, etc. At that point I was cleared for anything I wanted to try. Other people are instructed to wait longer--just depends on the doc, and to some extent how large you are to start with (ie. how much weight will be pulling on the new scars) and how extensive the surgery was (ie. if you had your gallbladder removed too, if you were a band revision with a lot of scar tissue, etc).

By the time I went back to really working out, I think I was probably at the level I would have been pre-op. Unfortunately, I hadn't even been to the gym in about 8 months, so that level was not exactly stellar. :thumbup:

Hey stacy160,

WOW!!! u just made my day! i've been really concerned about that part, because exercising is a huge part of losin the weight and keeping it off. And i heard recently that some people were feelin tired and out of it for a while post-op . . .

Anywayz .. thanks for your reply and i hope you'll commit to it soon :001_tongue:

I am one month out today, I will be honest my energy was in the DUMPS for a couple of weeks and then it started to turn around. I of course walked around the house, I am nurse so at work too, but as far as exercising there isn't any way I could have started. in the first 2-3 weeks. I started last week walking, and I will admit I use to jog 2 miles pre op and walking 1.5 miles WIPES me out, I just have to build my tolerance again. My body is also still adjusting to operating on super low calories. But you will know when you can....everyone is different!

Like everyone mentioned, I started walking right away. By one month post-op I was doing 2.5-3 miles pretty easily, but I did not have a full time job at the time so was able to nap when needed. I started doing more heavy cardio (Jazzercise and Water aerobics) at 1 month post-op and was fine. By 2 months post-op I was doing it 4-6 days per week. I still didn't have all of my energy back, but I just took rests when needed and went to bed early if need be. Good luck!

Hey deedee ...

Thanks for your input, and BTW congratulations! you look amazing.

Yeah so my main concern is feeling weak or not energetic .. you know ?

and if i did end up experiencing the weakness, for how long?

The main reason am taking a drastic measure such as cutting my stomach in half, is to feel ALIVE again, to forget how it feels to have a lack of energey most of the time.

My surgery was Dec 21st and I got my gym membership Dec 31st. That being said, it took a couple of weeks to really get going...and then of course, I wasn't cleared for weights until late January.

At this point, I can walk/jog 4.2 miles in an hour, but it's work!!

I also completed half marathon last Sunday...and that almost killed me. haha

Yep, I was up walking the same day as my surgery, and though I will admit I am a big slacker at times, I have been out and about a few days a week, walking for 45-60 minutes at a time. A brisk clip, not lolly-gagging. :) I think I felt "ok" to really start doing this after the incision for my drain healed. My last surgery, the drain incision didn't heal quickly (or easily - due to health reasons, not the surgeon, etc), and I was worried about this happening again. This time, like many have said... I was up walking right away. Of course, in the hospital you can't walk far, nor go too fast, but just moving is the point. It REALLY helps. As for from this point on, I'm going on 8 weeks out, and I feel like I could do anything. I have started doing push ups and situps at home. I plan to get my booty to the gym more now, working on the motivation, and getting back into my Zumba (dance) classes.

Hope this helps! You'll be amazed at how much more energy you have, each and every day, as you lose the weight and just feel so much better! :thumbup:

I was sleeved on Feb. 11th and they also had me up and walking on the same day (I was very sore though...) After surgery I would try and walk at least 30 minutes daily. After my forth week I was feeling great and felt I could add a bit more intensity so I began to jog and do spinning classes. So far so good! I feel great! Although, I think it's normal to feel a little weak at first because your body is in shock from the change in eating habit and quantities, I did feel a bit sluggish and fatigue in the beginning, not now that's all gone!

Take care and good luck!!

Sury :)

My surgery was Dec 21st and I got my gym membership Dec 31st. That being said, it took a couple of weeks to really get going...and then of course, I wasn't cleared for weights until late January.

At this point, I can walk/jog 4.2 miles in an hour, but it's work!!

I also completed half marathon last Sunday...and that almost killed me. haha

WOW!! thats impressive! Keep up the good work sis. And my i mention u look really good after losin all this weight. :)

:) Best wishes

My surgery was Dec 17th and I did not start doing any exercise until end of Jan. Then it was simply walking real slow on the treadmill (since we had such an awful cold & snowy winter here). I can say that it got easier and I worked myself up to 60 min on treadmill 6 days a week. I am currently walking 1 hour a day outside during my lunch and average almost 4 miles. Since I had back problems, weights are still difficult for me but I did order Richard Simmons Sweatin to the Oldies DVD set and do that with my kids on weekends (and WiiFit too) instead of walking. This way I have variety, the body gets surprised and we have so much fun!!!

Good Luck!

Hello Dalal,

My son tells me that you live in a beautiful place. He visited there after an invitation from the Princess whom he met at the Para-olympics in 2004.

My exercise story is just a little different. I started walking immediately after surgery and was on the treadmill on Day 5. Only 20 minutes but on there. I went back to work on Day 7 and I think that just really tired me out. I do most of my exercise on the weekends now. Last Friday I swam for an hour and on Sunday walked for an hour. I have just been cleared to do any exercise, including weight lifting etc.

My energy level is so much higher at 5 weeks than it was at 2 and 3 weeks.

You're going to do great!!

Anyone >2 or 3 months out from sleeving? I'd really like to know long-term energy levels, since I'd really like to start weight lifting again (and back in my day, I lifted HEAVY) once I'm healed up. Wondering if I'll be too tired and sluggish from caloric restriction to do that.

I would REALLY like to avoid losing too much muscle mass with the fat! My sleeve date is 5/6/10.

You won't be too tired, I'm 8 weeks out. HOWEVER, you could cause a hernia, with heavy lifting in the first 3 months. I'd lay off of too much weight until you're out of that window... Of course, we can get a hernia at any time in the future, but early on it's much more likely.

Hope this helps!

Edited by youknowit

Thanks for this tip. I know that there's a severe weight limitation in the first 6 weeks, but it looks like I should keep it light for the first three months, too.

After that, I guess, it's just basic exercise common sense and smart lifting (the old lift with your legs, not your back, kinda stuff).