Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Motivation... I need it! Any ideas...

Hi all! I seem to be going through this kick of being motivated for a couple of days, walking for 45-60 minutes, then falling off the wagon and getting "ready" to go for a walk, or to the gym... and I can't get my a$$ out the door to do anything. Thoughts or suggestions for motivation? I've tried setting up times to work out with friends, and they are as flaky as me in this regard. :wink:

Would love some reasonable advice... I feel like I'm slackin! :thumbup:

Same here... the hardest part is getting up off my butt and getting ready to go. I just remind myself that no matter how much I'd rather lay down with a book, or play around here more, I'll be SO happy I went once I get there, and also how fantastic I feel afterwards. That missing "oomph" to just get up and do it is a b**ch though, isn't it? :thumbup:

I think this is a major issue for all of us. In general in my life, I go in and out of 'exercise mode' I don't do gyms, so its even harder to stay motivated. I'm really in the motivated mode right now, but ya know, that can change in the next few weeks..lol...but I do like the way my body is re-shaping, and how great I feel and the added energy of working out. Good Luck and this place is a great place for support!!

UGH, I HATE THE GYM, but you know, for me it's all about the weight loss. . . I really like making my ticker move. . . so in order to have that bunny move, i have to move. . .good luck ladies!

None of us will be able to maintain things we don't enjoy. When we were kids none of as had any problem with playing. Find things that feel like play to you.

I agree that you have to find something you absolutely love. I hate walking, jogging, hitting the treadmill, elliptical etc etc. I need something that is not monotonous. I enjoy the dancing classes. I've quit the gym since we have a mini-gym in our garage. I'm strictly lifting weights, but haven't done anything in a couple of weeks. I pulled cardio out of my routine, and am focusing on core/ab/butt/thigh routines. Lifting weights get monotonous for me as well so I dance while I lift.

If I could find a good hip hop class, I would join it in a heartbeat. But, I just hang out with my dumb bells and my Hip Hop mixed CD in my bedroom for an hour a day.

That's the only thing I can do to motivate myself. Well, and occasionally, I take a peek at my before pics, and that gets my butt out of the recliner.

I think the before pictures is a great idea! Also, I do have a few "skinny" pics from when I was down below 150 with the band... I might break those out as well. Visual stimulus is a great idea!

I think walking my dog and listening to the IPOD is the best I can do to get my ass in gear for the moment... I'll keep it up and will keep you guys posted... :smile1:

Do you like to shop? I found shopping for new workout clothes was a good motivator for me. I wanted to wear the cute (or soft) new clothes so I needed to workout so I could wear them. I would leave the tags on them until I was heading out the door so I couldn't just wear them to lounge around in. Also sometimes when I really didn't want to go (especially in the winter months) I would tell myself that if I went I could stop by a store and buy something on the way home...couldn't do too much of this though because it gets really pricey.

That's a good idea... My only problem is, having been down to 150ish (with the band) and going back up, now going down... I kept my "skinny" clothes, so I have about 35 lbs to go before I'll actually "need" anything "new" in my wardrobe. :wink: Though, going out and buying one item here and there wouldn't hurt, right? :001_rolleyes: I'll keep you posted...

UPDATE:

So I've been vascillating back and forth between going to work out, and being a lazy bum. In general, the lazy to workout ratio has started to change. I've worked out two days in a row this week so far (yesterday and today), and will take tomorrow off, and go back again on Thursday. Thanks for your support and ideas, all. I've decided I can give myself a little treat of browsing the shoe store, or ULTA or Old Navy on my way home from the gym... and this seems to help a bit. :cursing:

well here in the last two weeks, i have either been at the ball field or at work. i don't get off till 530pm and then drive 45 min home. i absolutely feel like such a bum. i want to go back to the gym...

I like to take my bike out and ride around the neighborhood with a small backpack some money (in case I want to stop for a drink, or something...I usually take about a 3 mile ride to somewhere and then back another 3 miles. It gets me out and I like seeing things from a perspective outside of driving a car. Walking is good when I'm blabbing away on my cell phone otherwise it really is boring to me. I'm going to try to sell the bike I have from last year and if I can get the money I want for it then I'm going to upgrade to a 2010 sort of mountain sort of road hybrid...I really admire the cyclists that cruise on those tour bikes but I don't think I'm quite ready for that yet. It's such a cool way to travel.

I have always loved riding a bike and when we go to KW that's all we use. I need to get my bike out again for my country roads. There are some hills though which are killer but could use the variety. Good idea Lan2k.

I have always loved riding a bike and when we go to KW that's all we use. I need to get my bike out again for my country roads. There are some hills though which are killer but could use the variety. Good idea Lan2k.

Thanks sounds like you've got nice scenic roads to ride on. I'm in the suburbs and although we've got some nice rustic areas there's lots of traffic...I got to get me a good helmet, :tongue_smilie: (I hate wearing one).