Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am thinking of going to Mexico to have the sleeve surgery done. I have filled out the paperwork and just waiting to hear back from the Dr.s office. I have been reading this board all day but can't find an answer. How is the plane trip home after surgery? I will be flying for around 9 hours and wonder about the pain and discomfort on the ride home. It is not like you can just go and lie down. I would greatly appreciate any answers on this. I am hoping to have the surgery at the end of the month.

I traveled to MX as well; and spent 14 hours on planes and in airports. I didn't have any discomfort except tiredness. My surgery was on a Monday and I was returning home on Friday. One thing you will want to consider is to plan your return trip so that you don't have to carry anything except your purse. I may have been one of the fortunate ones; but I didn't even have to take pain pills during my return trip. Hope you have as good an experience as mine. Best Wishes!

Thanks so much for the answer! I will probaly just have a small carryon and will be traveling alone. Good to hear you did ok, that makes me feel so much better. It's funny, but that is my only real concern.

Hi,

One of the best "mistakes" I made was screwing up our return date which caused us to spend an extra night in San Diego in a hotel. It was wonderful and made a huge difference - I'm sure - in how I felt about the cross country flight I was facing the next day. That said, my first inclination - of course - was to lay around the hotel all day but I made myself get up with and go check out the city for a bit. Not long, just rode the trolley for a couple of miles and slowly walked a couple of blocks then back to the hotel and "dinner" with some old friends. This really vaulted me back into feeling human again and I felt great for the flights home to South Florida. Too, I don't know which surgeon you're considering but Aceves keeps you three nights which is at least a night longer than most. That also helped.

Good luck, you'll be just fine and you're gonna love your sleeve!!

Carol

good to hear your thinking of dr aceve.....he?s great and you won?t have any problems on your flight back....you?re definitely making the right decision. goodluck and please keep us posted.

Thanks so much. Nina just emailed and said there is an opening on the 26'th of this month. I think I am going to take it. I have researched relentlessly for 2 months now so I think that I am ready. It was the plane that was holding me up. Sometimes it is just the silliest little thing. I appreciate the responce that I have had, what a nice group of people! I asked this question a week ago on another board and the answers were kind of mean and no real info.

Yay! I will be there too. My surgery is scheduled for March 25th. The airport has been my biggest anxiety of the whole process so I'm glad to see someone else ask this question. I hope to see you there!!!

Anna PM me if you want my # and we can text when you get there.

:thumbup:That is great! I was hoping that I would meet someone on here who was going to be there the same time. My surgery is for the afternoon so maybe I can stop in and see you before, to get a heads up. Also, how did you get the weight tracker on your page? I don't know what pm is, sorry. I am picking up a phone later today to use in Mexico and I will get it to you.

Teresa,

I just had surgery and had to fly home as well. My total flight time was around 8 hours and the only thing that I wish I had done was fly first class on the way home. I did not need any pain meds and the only discomfort I really felt was some gas pressure. I have to say though that if I had waited that extra day and stayed in San Diego, than I may have felt alot better flying on Friday cause I felt really good on Friday. The time change also really got me flying home as well, so I was really tired. Since you can't leave until 1pm from San Diego, that put me back in KY at around 11:30pm that night.

Teresa,

PM is personal message, from you individual page on here. I am soooooo excited to know of someone else who will be there. I have been scouring the boards trying to find someone else. I am going on my own by choice, and my family is SUPER scared about that. Are you bringing anyone with you or are you coming on your own as well?

I was thinking the same thing with first class, I was just looking at prices. I think that I will go that route. Thanks for the advice!

I have a friend who is going to try and come, but nothing set. My family is staying behind. My oldest daughter is trying to talk me out of it so I don't want her to be there, I am nervous enough. This is so exciting to find someone else who is going to be there!

hi,

so glad you chose dr. Aceves! he is wonderful! I have a few suggestions!

I stayed an extra night on the way home in the hotel that his office recommended. We actually walked around "Old Town" for about 2 hours that day. We flew home early the next am..

1. Arrange for a wheelchair to pick you up at the arrival doors and take you thru security and to the gate. It is a large airport and may be tough to walk.

2. see if they will upgrade you to 1st class..I was lucky to fly first class home which made it much more comfy.

3. bring some Decaf t-bags ..they may not have any and you dont want to drink reg tea on the plane.

4. I brought a heating pad to the hospital and used it constantly...I bought the instant heating pads from the pharmacy and held them on my belly in the plane..they lasted for the entire trip...

5. arrange for a wheelchair to meet you once you get home. Just ask the flight attendant during the flight..he/she will arrange it for you.

Just remember...you just had major surgery..i wasn't in lots of pain, just exhausted...listen to your body and take advantage of services that are available!

best of luck on your journey!

Kris