Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What did you bring with you to the hospital?

Hello,

I plan for absolutely everything! My surgeon says with no complications, I will be in the hospital for 2 days. What did you all bring with you?

Did you bring clothes to wear during your stay, or just for the return home? Did you have to wear the dreaded hospital gown the whole time?

This seems like a stupid thing to think about, but I honestly to plan everything! :)

Kara

Very little. It depends on you, but I had had surgery the January before (my first) and discovered I didn't really use anything.

I brought (I think):

lotion, chap stick, comfy dress to wear home (mine was in August), flip flops to wear home, and slippers

I took very little also. Just loose clothes and flip flops for the way home, a toothbrush, toothpast and chapstick. Never got out of the hospital gown and socks until I got dressed to go home.

I packed a bag but the only things I used were chapstick, toothbrush and toothpaste. I thought I'd use my iPod etc but never did. I slept most of the time and had no interest in reading or watching tv. I wore comfy clothes to the hospital and just wore them home. I expected to stay two nights but was so thankful they let me go home after one night. It's so much easier to rest at home!

Good luck!! :thumbdown:

I was really glad that I had slip on shoes (crocs) and chap stick. The best thing I took however, was the spray mouth moisturizer that I found in the local pharmacy at home. It was just a sprayer of Water that came in a little aerosol can. We couldn't have anything to eat or drink for 24 hours after surgery. The spray was a life saver. It kept the inside of my mouth moiste. I think it really helped with the nausea too, as I didn't really have that "cotton mouth" dryness that makes me sick.

You won't need much. I was out of the hospital gown the morning after surgery and into my p.j's. I left the hospital in the loose clothing I arrived in. I agree with the others about the items you will want to have with you....additionally, you might also want to add Gas-X Strips to your list.

Thank you all! The spray for your mouth sounds like a great idea! I hate the cotton mouth feeling! When I was on Phentermine I had it all the time! It'll be great to have something to keep my mouth moist. I use chapstick everyday so that won't be a problem! I'm from WI and you need it almost 8 months out of the year because of the weather! :thumbup1:

What I took that I actually used: Deodorant, facial-cleansing wipes, toothbrush/paste, CHAP STICK (that's a biggie), Gas-X strips, Listerine strips, and sugar-free Ricola drops (for the dry mouth, which was horrible). Cell phone and a book. Very loose, stretchy dollar-store capris to wear with my stylish hospital gown.

What I took that I never touched: iPod. Bathrobe and slippers. It was so warm in there anyway, and they put those hospital grippy-slipper-sock things on over my compression stockings in pre-op, and they didn't come off until I was dressing to go home.

OH, and just plan on wearing whatever you wear in, out... so make it something loose, stretchy, easy, and comfy. :)

Just one! They kept the oxygen on me until the next morning, and that's what dried me out soooo badly. I was hoarse for 4 days after surgery. Someone told me later that she had what she called "wet oxygen", which was humidified and didn't dry her out much, so you might see if that's something you can request, if they keep oxygen on you afterward. :smile1:

I had my surgery on a Tuesday. On Thursday after my iv was out, I I washed my hair. Did the same on Fri before I went home.

I did use my ipod and did some texting on my cell phone. Didn't really read or anything though.

They gave me a little sponge on a sucker stick to wet in a glass of Water and moisten my mouth.