Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to do when family is not supportive?

I have been praying, saving and researching for so long that I am so ready for the surgery.

I have my surgery scheduled for 04/09 with Dr Almanza in Tijuana and am very excited but my family is not as supportive. They're afraid that something will happen to me while there.

I am a single parent as my husband passed away 5 years ago and see my surgery as an investment in my life as well as my kids lives....but I also understand why my family feels the way they feel.

What can I do or say to make them feel more at ease?

Firstly I'm sorry about the loss of your husband. I had both my parents, and my daughter support me before and after my surgery. I was cautious about when and how I'd tell them. With my mother I walked her through and shared as much as possible with her about the procedure and the stats and showed her many posts here at VST. I think it's important to educate them as much as possible and then tell them how important it is to you that they support your decision. I wish you the best and hope that your family (or at least one of them) will come around and be there for you.

My mother does not support my decision. Its very hard. I have my husband and one of my sisters behind me on this. We know as a person what works and what does not. We wouldn't be doing this if we didn't think it was what is best for us. I hope your family comes around. I personally know how hard it is. I really want my mom to be there the day of my surgery but I know she will have an excuse.

You can ask them to do their own research before they decide that they are against your surgery. Maybe direct them to this forum. I think the bottom line is that they love you and don't want anything to happen to you. You can't change that :)

For me, I am having my surgery on March 30th in TJ with dr. verboonen. I am NOT telling my family and have only told 2 friends whom I invited to go and support me. Both declined, saying it is too dangerous to go to

Mexico, fear and one saying that a BMI of 30 or 31 is too low to start

with.

I reassured them, that I have been upfront with my health issues, and

with researching the "dangers" of travelling to TJ. I am confident that it

would be ok, but my friends are too afraid.

So... I am going alone, supporting myself alone and .... if I did not believe

I would be alright, I would not do it. Am I niave or what?

My husband was killed 12 years ago in a car accident, my children are grown and I am on my own... just like in life, with all I have to deal with

on my own, I guess this one is ok too. I don't need their approval but I

wish I felt sure that they would be helpful and supportive instead of

negative and judgmental.

When things turn out fine, and you are healthier and more happy I believe

the "nay sayers" will come around. I respect you for at least taking the

high road and letting them know what is going on beforehand.

I wish you the best!!!

Hug,

Jen

Thank you ladies for your kind words. I know they love me and they are just afraid that something will go wrong. I'm excited and ready to go ahead with it.

I'm so glad I found this forum!!!

There are certainly pros and cons about telling friends and family before the surgery. You want their support yet don't want to hear anything negative. I chose to tell very few people before surgery. So far, I have only had one person not be supportive. She, of course, had a story about some friend who went to Mexico for cosmetic surgery and died. There are always risks anytime you are being sedated however I personally don't think the risk is any higher in Mexico than in the US. The clinics in Mexico want to stay in business and I believe they are going to do everything they can to be successful.

Congrats on making the decision that is best for you. I am so happy I did it, even tho I mentally have missed food. Everything has been going smoothly for me otherwise.

My experience with Dr. Almanza and his staff was very positive.

Good Luck!!