Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

LyndaRN - amazing that the surgery took so little time and that you came home the day of the surgery - why did you come home so quickly? I'm new to this site and am scheduled for surgery March 31st - I can't decide if I should have the sleeve or the bypass. I'm a self pay so I want as little complications as possible but I've had gastric reflux for about 20 years and I'm concerned with the sleeve that I might still have the reflux - so I'm still trying to figure out what to do. So glad you are doing so well...

an

That's good news. My surgery took 3.5 hours!! I had alot of scar tissue from two previous surgeries so I guess he had much navigating to do. I'm amazed at how quickly your surgery was done and that you went home the same day. I suppose your surgeon has done many VSG's. I don't think mine had many under his belt and that is part of why I was so uptight post surgery. I hope you continue to do well with your sleeve.

LyndaRN - amazing that the surgery took so little time and that you came home the day of the surgery - why did you come home so quickly? I'm new to this site and am scheduled for surgery March 31st - I can't decide if I should have the sleeve or the bypass. I'm a self pay so I want as little complications as possible but I've had gastric reflux for about 20 years and I'm concerned with the sleeve that I might still have the reflux - so I'm still trying to figure out what to do. So glad you are doing so well...

an

I hope you will thoroughly look into the VSG before making your decision between the two and wish you success and good health whatever you decide.

I don't work, well I have 2 kids and a husband so they keep me busy! My hubby took off 3 days and he goes back to work on Sunday. I have 9 year old and a 9 month old so the 9 year old helps alot! I have felt pretty good today. We even went out on a walk! Eating lots of ice chips!

As far as coming home, I just hate to be away from my family and you can't rest well in the hospital!

Thanks everyone!

Congratulations. I hope all goes well. I am excited for you. My surgery is next Thursday. Yeah. Take care leave some room on the losers bench for us.

Hey Lynda! So glad to see your starting to feel better! Isn't it nice to have sunny, almost warm weather down here in Texas and Louisiana? It's been a beautiful two days here in Louisiana for sure!!

So, your doc said that the bile/blood incident yesterday morning was normal? What do they say about the new stomach spasm'ing so soon after surgery with dry heaves and/or vomiting? I guess that's just something that happens and the docs prepare the tummy itself for those kinds of things so nothing messes up when it happens?

kkandrod I didn't even call. I know the reason I got sick. I was trying to make myself burp and that caused me to get sick. I will call on Monday though! I haven't gotten sick anymore since then. I got an ounce of powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury broth in this morning and am going to try some more in a bit. But my husband and daughter were eating Mickey D's! UGGG! Actually it didn't bother me too much!

It is beautiful weather here finallY! Yeah for that!!!

LyndaRN - I'm getting ready for surgery end of the month - can you tell me why you decided on the sleeve vs. bypass?

Thanks - and glad you are doing so fantastic - you are an inspiration to those of us getting ready to have the surgery

Trish4 I went in to the dr. wanting the Lap Band. Didn't really know too much about the sleeve. As we talked he thought that I would do better with the sleeve. I had around 73 pounds to loose to get to a normal bmi so I think I didn't have enough to lose for a bypass. But I wasn't ready to go that drastic.

LyndaRN I have about 75 pounds to lose. I am really leaning towards the sleeve but I've concerns about reflux (which I've been on meds for about 20 years for and would really like to not be bothered by reflux and would like to get off the medication - but with the sleeve I have concerns about the reflux) - it is probably too soon to ask you this - as you've just finished with surgery a few days ago but have you experienced any reflux from the sleeve as of yet?

I am 6 months out. I had only 3 instances of reflux and they were mild. I am on a ppi called Aciphex, once daily in the morning w/or w/out food as per directions. I've had no problem with reflux. From what I've read the Lapband can really cause reflux issues. I have a friend who had a gastric bypass and had issues with reflux as well. I'm thinking the VSG is the least likely to cause reflux in any chronic or significant way. Best wishes to you whatever you decide...stay healthy and be well.

Lan2K - thanks for your information. I'm curious - did you have reflux prior to your surgery - and since surgery has it improved or were you never bothered with reflux? How has the weight loss been in the 6 months post op?

Lan2K - thanks for your information. I'm curious - did you have reflux prior to your surgery - and since surgery has it improved or were you never bothered with reflux? How has the weight loss been in the 6 months post op?

Hi Trish, I didn't have a problem with reflux in any chronic way prior to my sleeve surgery. After being sleeved I had maybe 3 episodes at night awakening me from my sleep, but I was not on a PPI at that time which is recommended for several months to a year after WLS to prevent ulcers (due to excess stomach acid production). I decided to take a PPI for the following reasons, 1. fear of ulcers--after finding out that a friend of mine who refused to take a PPI after having the gastric bypass almost died from bleeding ulcers a few weeks after her surgery.

2. Most WL surgeons do put their patients on a PPI as I've already stated. 3. I had/have this over production of mucus and read on a thread here somewhere that sometimes that is an unusual symptom of reflux, like the body's way of protecting itself from too much acid production.

I have lost a total of 70 lbs. I've approximately 30lbs to go to reach goal. Aciphex is what I am taking once a day in the AM w/or w/out food as per directions. I tried some others but experienced unpleasant side effects, not with the Aciphex, it's working out well for me. Hope that helps.

LAN2K - thanks for your reply. Congrats on your 70 pounds of weight loss - you are almost to goal. I have an appointment with my surgeon 6 days b/4 my surgery (surgery is the 31st) - hopefully she can put my mind to rest on this "sleeve" vs. bypass. Could I ask you why you decided upon the sleeve over the bypass?