Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Checking into the Sleeve Surgery

I was certain that I wanted the band surgery. Now after much research I am leaning toward the sleeve. I am interested in other's experiences. I am 60 years old, weigh almost 300 lbs. and no serious medical issues yet. I am so ready to get a life. I will be going to Mexico due to cost so any info on Mexican facilities and doctors would be appreciated.

Thank you for any help. Brenda in Fl.

Edited by Sleeved and Relieved
added a sentence

I too wieghed in over 300lbs, Have been over weight since childhood. I started out looking into the band but then found out about the sleeve.

i am verey happy I was sleeve. I have lost 35lbs since Jan 19,10.

Check out the program that Dr Aceves' has, he is wonderful. so caring,I wwould recommend him and his staff to anyone. They pick you up in San Deigo, you stay in a very nice hotel 1 night and 3 nights in the hospital surronded by caring nurses and 2 DR's that visit with you 3-4 times aday. Everybody on the ward is there to have surgery with Dr Aceves. so you will meet up with people having the same procedure as you. Ernesto the drive and Dr. Campos have both had the sleeve sugery. Dr Sceves has not had leaks and he has done 700+ Sleeve sugeries. You are in good hands with him.

Brenda

Brenda

Thank you so much for your response. I would love to hear any tips or advise that you may have for me. Dr. Aceves is one of the doctors I am considering. My sister looked at his web site and was impressed.

I love your name (Brenda's Gonnalose) and so many people have the cutest names on here. I gotta think me up a good one.

Thanks Again,

Brenda

I took my very skeptical former nurse mother with meand she was very impressed with the DR's and the hospital and the level of care I received. Contact them Directly no need to go thru a cordinator. They are wonderful.

This is the frist major surgery I have had and had no complcationsand very little pain. Love the fact that I can now wear some of the clothes I haven't been able to wear for few years they fit again.

Ask lots of question we're all pretty helpful here.

Brenda

It drove me crazy at the New Year to see all the Lapband commercials on TV - I wanted to scream DON'T DO IT!!! to anyone considering getting one. I had a band for over 3.5/yrs. For the last year I was having vague abdominal pain that 4 docs couldn't figure out. An ultrasound showed I DID have gall stones, but that wasn't really where the pain came from. I went to my band surgeon to make sure it was OK and not the cause of my pain. He told me that most people start having complications from the band at 3-5 yrs post-op and suggested the sleeve to me. After doing research, I decided to have the revision done.

During surgery, the doctor discovered a large hiatal hernia right by the band and close to the port. With the band gone and hernia repaired I feel like a new person. DO NOT GET THE BAND - whatever you do. I feel that sewing the port into your body like they do is very damaging and can cause a lot of issues. I ended up with a large hematoma that burst open after my sleeve surgery because removing the port left such a big open hole in my body. I'm very happy with my sleeve and wish it had been an option 4 yrs ago when I got the band.

Hi Brenda, and welcome to VST. I agree with the above poster about the band. I had one as well, but it only took a few months for me to develop severe complications.

Life with the sleeve is fabulous. I'm just over 9 months out, and am loving life. I weighed 270lbs pre-op, and had zero health issues as well, but knew they would be creeping up on me in a few years. Today, I'm weighing in at 130lbs, and that's only the physical improvements. The mental and emotional improvements are astronomical.

If my insurance would have not paid for my revision, I would have found a way to finance a trip to see Dr. Aceves. The facilities alone, and accommodations that are provided helped me make my choice when I was waiting on insurance approval. I wanted a full service hospital with a full ICU, blood bank, and emergency services in the event of a complication. I have high standards in care, and outpatient or surgical center is not enough for me.

Best wishes in your research. Keep us posted as things progress for you ! ! !

Hi Brenda

I'm yet another band to sleeve revision...please don't get the band! I wish that I had never gotten it! I had it for only 9 months and it caused a lot of damage. I did a revision in December and could not be happier! I have my life back, I can eat like a normal person. I can go out to eat and not spend the entire time in the bathroom! I could go on and on, but I think you get the point. The sleeve is easy, you just eat less!

Go for it, you won't be sorry.

Hi, I definitely recommend Dr. Aceves, i had my sleeve with him, and i had a very good experience. I've dropped 70 lbs and i am still going for more....i didn't have any complications and the followup is great. if you need more info, please feel free to give Nina a call - she's the patient coordinator and she'll gladly help. 888-3443916 :001_tongue:

Thank you Mary. Seems like a lot of people think very highly of Dr. Aceves. His price is a little higher than many others however maybe it is a case of you get what you pay for.

I have another question, is there very much aftercare needed when you go home?

thanks again,

Brenda

Hi Brenda

I went with Dr. Almanza in Tijuana Mexico, I had a wonderful experience both times. he really is a great surgeon, I have had no complaints.

I can't tell you how easy the sleeve is, you will love it!

Hi Brenda

I'm yet another band to sleeve revision...please don't get the band! I wish that I had never gotten it! I had it for only 9 months and it caused a lot of damage. I did a revision in December and could not be happier! I have my life back, I can eat like a normal person. I can go out to eat and not spend the entire time in the bathroom! I could go on and on, but I think you get the point. The sleeve is easy, you just eat less!

Go for it, you won't be sorry.

I have been emailing back and forth with Melissa there. They have the best price for sure. I am concerned about being in a clinic instead of a hospital. How well did they prepare you for post opt? And do they test for leaks after surgery?

Sorry for so many questions. Thanks to everyone for your help!!

Brenda

I'm probably one of the unusual ones because I was not worried about it being a clinic. i have had MANY surgeries and some of them have been at surgery centers.

As far as post op, they do a leak test in the operating room, and then again 2 days later. You have to drink this awful tasting stuff and they do an exray to watch it go down.

I don't know how your health is, If I had been severly overweight or had medical issues I would have chosen a surgeon that operates in a hospital. I have no health issues, other than battling cancer twice! So it is up to you to decide what is best for you.

I wish you the very best, the sleeve is so easy! No after care, except getting the stitches out. (most people do it themselves) I took mine out both times. The thing I like the best about the sleeve is that you can eat any and all foods, just less of them!!

Bernadette

I have been emailing back and forth with Melissa there. They have the best price for sure. I am concerned about being in a clinic instead of a hospital. How well did they prepare you for post opt? And do they test for leaks after surgery?

Sorry for so many questions. Thanks to everyone for your help!!

I also used Dr. Almanza in Tijuana and was very happy with the care. I have had several surgeries in the past tho so also had an idea of how I would respond. If it was my first surgery, I may have wanted a hospital. My Tummy Tuck surgery was much harder than the sleeve and I was home by noon after the tt!! The clinic over night was more care than that! : )

The post-op leak test a couple of days later is yucky. Plug your nose and sip it down. I walked outside both at the clinic and at radiology. The cool fresh air helped. A necessary evil tho.

Good luck!

Hey B,

I too used Dr. Almanza and was beyond satisfied with him and the after care..I would highly recommend him to anyone looking for a great surgeon at an affordable cost. I also didn't have health issues and have had several surgeries so I knew exactly how I would respond. Pnw218 was my roomy while I was there and it was a true blessing, hopefully you can find someone on here that will be going the same time and recuperate together! Makes it lots more tolerable! My Tummy Tuck was also far worse than this and it was outpatient. My advice would be to way the pros and cons of having surgery in a clinic... For me it was perfect, I did lots of research and made an informed decision. The leak test is very nasty it's true...but, we gotta do what we gotta do! Good luck and best wishes!

P.S. Melissa was my coordinator too... She's the best!! : )