Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Checking into the Sleeve Surgery

PNW and bkind

You both stated that you have had tummy tucks, but your surgery was recent?? I thought I was the only one who did it backwards! Actually mine was calle a tram flap, it is for breast cancer patients. They take skin from your stomach and for a new breast. I had that done, and then lost the weight. I'm so trilled with my flat tummy! I always had a ledge after having my kids.

Sorry Brenda, did not mean to hijack your thread!

Bernadette

mmm nope not really, besides they give you all the necessary followup you need. they are constantly there to help you. if you need more info please don't hesitate to ask. goodluck!!!

Thanks to both of you bkind and pnw218. Money is a big issue with me. My husband died recently and I feel like I really have to watch the money now as I am not sure when I can return to work. To tell the truth, I need to lose some weight to feel like working again.

I have had 2 surgeries without incident, 1 minor and 1 major and even though I have high blood pressure and high cholesterol, I have not experienced any serious problems so far. My issues have been controllable with meds. So I am optimistic that I will do fine, so many others have even with lots of weight to lose like myself.

thanks again!

Brenda, I'm 56 and had the sleeve done 3/3/2010. I did a 23 hour stay. My hubby was home for a couple of days but I could have been on my own. I know some talk about sleeping in a recliner for a few days but I was able to sleep in my bed on my side the night I came home and I have taken no pain meds since that night. I did take some liquid Tylenol but for a headache. I would highly recommend my surgeon to you in Huntsville, Al. Just PM me if you want contact info. I did not self pay, however, I think he is very reasonable.

My surgeon explained that the lapband doesn't take the ghrelin (sp) hormone that controls hunger away....it that true?

I also am up in years...I'm 57 (almost 58) and weight 360 lbs. I was looking into lapband, because I had never heard of VSG till the seminar. Once I heard that lapband can actually make you MORE hungry than you are before the surgery, I knew that was NOT where I needed to go.

This VSG is like a blessing to me, cause hunger is what gets me into trouble. If the hunger can be decreased by this surgery for at least 6-12 months...WOW !!! He stated that there is not enough data in to tell how long if ever the hunger comes back again from the pancreas or liver.

Anyone have any statements about this?

:)

Hi!!

I can tell you a million stories about why NOT to get the band!!! I had mine for only 9 months, and had to have it removed. Do you know that the average life of a band is 3 years? The band does not take away the gherlin, only the sleeve can do that. They actually remove it. I'm 50 years old and I only wish I would have done this earlier in my life, I wish I would have known more about the sleeve before the band! I don't know how strongly I can recomend that you don't have the band...pleae do yourself a favor and get the sleeve. There is no aftercare, awesome!! I eat just like a normal person, just smaller portions.

I have 4 family members with the band...that is truly why I did it in the first place. All of them are having trouble, my sister is going to have the revision, she has had it with the band. I can't tell you how many meals I have missed because I was in the bathroom being sick!

Really that is all I can tell you, I love my sleeve!! I don't know long term stats because ther are not a lot, I can tell you the stats with the band are not good.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Kabranda and Lookinupin2010,

Thanks for the info. I go back and forth about the sleeve surgery. My doctor wants me to have the band. I just attended yet another seminar about the band (that made the 3rd one in the last few years) at my doctor's suggestion. I have seen quite a bit of success with the band, however the sleeve has it's advantages. I wanted to be open minded after my doctor's visit so I went to the seminar and now I am even more confused. So I am still researching and in the meantime, I am eating more sensibly and being more active. Thanks to all who share on here, I sure appreciate everyone's input.

CAN ANYBODY PM ME OR POINT ME IN THE RIGHT PLACE TO FIND THE WEBSITE FOR Dr. Almanza in Tijuana Mexico OR A ## FOR THE OFFICE THANK YOU

Morning everyone - those of you who had the sleeve done without insurance - (which is going to be me in a couple of weeks) - do any of you have concerns about if you would have complications a few months/years down the road - would your health insurance pay for complications related to having the sleeve surgery done?

I have concerns about any complications that might arise during surgery or post opt. as well as later.

I have read on the boards that people's insurance have covered problems later from other WLS. I guess it all depends on your insurance. It's all a bit risky but I think we just have to weigh the pros and cons. Many many people have had no complications from the sleeve but there is not many years of data yet.

Good luck with your surgery!

Morning everyone - those of you who had the sleeve done without insurance - (which is going to be me in a couple of weeks) - do any of you have concerns about if you would have complications a few months/years down the road - would your health insurance pay for complications related to having the sleeve surgery done?

I was self pay and when I checked with my ins. about coverage and aftercare hey said since they won't pay for the surgery they won't pay for any follow-up care.

I'm 2 months post op and have had NO complications or need for follow up yet. You will need to check with your ins. and see what the policy is.

Research alot and find a Dr with a good reputation and one that has done 300 or more of the surgeries, thier complication rate is lower the more they have done.

Good Luck

Brenda

I'm 2 1/2 months post op from a revision to the sleeve, and no complication what so ever!! I feel good, look good and can eat normally!! I was self pay, and I don't know if my insurance would cover any problems, and I hope I never have to find out!

Good luck!

Thanks everyone for advice on post op complications for a self-pay- not sure if my surgeon has done 300 of the "sleeve" since it is a relatively new procedure - but I do know she done tons of the bypass - but as I sit right now, I'm more interested in the sleeve. Sure is nice to have this site to be able to ask questions and get support. In 16 days I'm scheduled for the surgery - boy! seems close to me so I'm trying to find out as much info as I can.

I wish you the very best Brenda but I will say that after doing 1 month of research on the band I positively did not want that thing implanted in my body! I would go with the sleeve if I were going to do it again. My insurance covered the entire procedure. My hospital stay was a full 5 days. I used a surgeon local to me in a reputable hospital. After reading months of posts on this message board if I had to do it again and had the money to self pay I would go with Dr. Aceves. His record is impeccable and he has done (if I'm not mistaken) approx. 700 sleeve gastrectomies with 0 leaks! Everyone who has had him perform their sleeve surgery in this and other message boards like OH have reported only great things and they themselves have done exceptionally well after surgery. Best wishes to you whatever you decide. -Lis