Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeved 23rd Feb 2010

Hi,

Apologies I am a complete newbie in terms of forums, blog sites etc. I posted the below as a reply initially as didn't know how to post, so please bear with me if you have already read it/responded to it.

I've just been sleeved as well. Surgery was 23rd Feb 2010 so am now 11 days out. The surgeon said I should have 2-3 yoghurts and a good bit of Soup before they would let me out of hospital. They forgot this bit and let me out after 1 yoghurt, which took about an hour to eat.

I am just able to sleep on my stomach now (as of last night), thankfully but not sleeping great anyway. Up til stupid oclock in the morning as just not tired. The acid reflux was horrendous at first and could not be controlled but now it has gone completely and it appears so has all the very uncomfortable gas.

I am a little concerned as don't really know if i'm eating enough/too much. Not had any discomfort, should be on liquid for 14 days but was told to eat yoghurt, custard,jelly & Soups etc from day 1, but after 15 days of pre op liquids couldn't stomach any of these except the custard. I have been living on fruit juice and apple sauce with custard (without limit) and have had some ready brek for the last couple of days. I have never really had a "full" or heavy feeling. I am not making huge quantities but worried that this is not normal. I haven't felt hungry but do get an empty feeling. I am supposed to start mushies on Tuesday which I am pleased about as I think I am ready for some variety now.

I am feeling a bit worried as I don't "feel" any different really. I did the first couple of days as it took about an hour to eat a yoghurt but now, no problem. I am also concerned that I lost 14lbs the first week after surgery and then...Nothing.Nada, Zilch. I have only been to the bathroom once since I had surgery as well (despite taking lactulose) Is this normal confused.gif

Further to this, I have to have DVT injections and I have been getting really cold since surgery, don't know if this is due to thinning of the blood or the reduction of the insulation. I was particularly cold today so opted for a nice hot bath this afternoon and when I got out and was drying myself off I went all light headed and the room started spinning. I had to go and lie down on the bed for about 10 minutes cos thought I was going to pass out.

Loving this site been on here all day, it's very inspiring and we have nothing like this in the UK. I was told that I am the first to have a sleeve at the hospital I went to they only really do bands and bypasses. I did actually explain to one of the nurses what I was having done and why because she had never heard of it. Not very encouraging I have to say, however the surgeon I had is the best in the country thankfully.

Nicola, I'm so glad you figured out how to start your own thread! Again, welcome to VST. I know that all plans are different. My plan specifically says that I can't take a bath until after my next visit to my surgeon. I'm wondering if you got clearance or if they just didn't say anything. I'm allowed to shower. I go back to my surgeon on March 12th.

I'm sure lots of people will stop by to welcome you here. There are lots of great people with much shared wisdom on this website.

OMG! No they never said anything about not bathing. The district nurse that came to change my dressings told me to bath to my waist so as to not get the dressings wet, but the dressings have been off for just over a week now. Maybe that's what caused the dizzy spell. Will make sure I shower from now on and will speak to my surgeon when I go back in 4 weeks. Thanks for that.

Good Morning or evening for you! :)

I bet the dizzy spell was just from getting in and out of the tub. I think we're all a little weak during the first weeks post-op. I don't know why my surgeon says to not submerge in Water but I figured I'd better listen to him. I always shower anyhow, so I haven't been impacted by this.

How about a hot water bottle or a heating pad to warm you up?

Thanks for that. Sitting with a lovely hot bean bag as we speak, just can't seem to shift the chills lol. It was my last shot today so hopefully i'll start to warm up soon.

Welcome Nicola, so glad to hear you are doing well. I too felt cold for awhile post op, still do at times and was always warm bf! Be easy with yourself, take it easy and stay hydrated.

Thanks for your reply itstime, think it's a bit weird being cold all the time, have never felt the cold before :) . It's all one big learning curve lol. So you were sleeved in December, how are you doing?

Edited by Nicolab3ll

Nicolab,

Welcome to VST. It's pretty normal to be cold right after surgery. I'm not sure what causes it but it lasted about 3 weeks for me. I was freezing constantly.

I think that most docs don't want you to bathe at first so that it gives your incisions a chance to heal. Taking a shower (water not directly on incisions) is better for you and you have much less of a chance of infection. I showered for about a month, using the anti bacterial soap.

Hope you get to feeling good as new soon.

Barb

Nicolab,

Welcome to VST. It's pretty normal to be cold right after surgery. I'm not sure what causes it but it lasted about 3 weeks for me. I was freezing constantly.

I think that most docs don't want you to bathe at first so that it gives your incisions a chance to heal. Taking a shower (water not directly on incisions) is better for you and you have much less of a chance of infection. I showered for about a month, using the anti bacterial soap.

Hope you get to feeling good as new soon.

Barb

Thanks for that Barb, showers all the way from now on lol.

Nic - I was sleeved on 3/3. Showers only until incisions are completely healed. I was on clear fluids 1st week, full liquids now (SF yogurt and pudding included) and I will start mushies 3/17. Daily calories 500-600, 30 fat grams, 60 Protein, 30 carbs and liquid intake of 64 ozs. I keep a food diary to keep me on track - hope this helps.

Kabranda,

That info is invaluable thank you. I am going to print it off and put it on my fridge, will really help make sure i'm doing everything right. So your about a week behind me, how you finding it and how you getting on.

Nicola, I saw my surgeon on Friday. He gave me clearance to bathe, swim etc on the 17th which will be one month for me. He lifted all exercise restrictions etc beginning on the 17th as well.

Life is good.....

Hi Nicola, I'm also from the UK and was sleeved on February 27th. I was back at the hospital to have my surgical clips removed on Friday and asked when I can have a bath. They said at least another week.

My surgeon has us on liquids for the first fortnight and then on to purees until twelve weeks. I've had two days on purees so far and it's going well. I'm only eating small amounts, but not hungry at all. Don't seem to be doing much in the way of weight loss - although I've managed to lose 12kg since the beginning of my pre-op diet.

I'm totally with you about feeling cold. I'm going nowhere with out my hot Water bottle!

Keep in touch xx