Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm six weeks out. This week I have lost all interest in food. I could careless if I eat and when I do eat it just doesn't taste good. I know I need to be getting my calories in so I force myself to eat. But really I wouldn't if I didn't have to.

Did anyone else feel this way and what did you do? Did it last? I just don't know how I could get more calories without having to many carbs.

Thanks

Yeppers, been there done that. Good news is that it is temporary, but it's also not completely gone for me. Some days I simply loathe eating. I don't know what it is to be honest. It's better than what it was when I was around 3 months out. But, the one thing that has helped me is to change up my menu.

I have become obsessed with recipe sites. I have 8, yes 8 recipe apps on my Iphone that I surf every day. I make something new and different for us at least 4 days a weeks. I have some "stand-by" favorites, but we always have at least 4 "new" meals per week. That has really helped me combat the lack of desire to eat.

Plus, I've been trying new flavor profiles. Adding different spices, seasonings, gravies, Condiments, just to add a little variety for my tastebuds.

It does get better, I promise.

I was repulsed by food and it was worrisome. I went on an antidepressant (for depression) and it stimulated my appetite! At first it felt great to be able to actually want to eat. Now I'm a little worried that I may eat too frequently.

I'm over 3 months out and I can say that at about 6 weeks, it happened. I lost my appetite altogether. I still never ever get hungry. food is like an afterthought, like...oh, I need to eat now...I haven't lost my desire to eat, its just that I have to remind myself to. When I know I need to eat, my stomach doesn't rumble like it use to, I get this queasy feeling...which I don't like, so I try to avoid going too long without eating. Hope that helps!

Does this happen to everyone? I will be happy NOT to be hungry. I am still taking my acid reducer, but no luck yet. I am about 6 weeks in as well.

I feel this way every day. I never want to eat anything. I eat to live. If something does sound good, I will want it and then when I have it, I never want it again. Odd.

I haven't lost my interest in food at all and I'm 3.5 weeks out. Are you all saying I will still lose it soon? B/c I don't see that happening. I don't feel real different than before as far as appetite, when I'm full I'm not hungry but that is normal. I can't eat beyond being full or it hurts, so I've learned when I'm full through trial and error. When I'm hungry I can think of lots of things to eat, although what I want to eat varies from day to day. What I can't handle is the Protein shakes anymore and the artificial sweeteners too. I always kind of had an aversion so I did it a while and I got very constipated and I stopped. I use agave a lot in liquid form to sweeten tea, for instance, or oatmeal. We buy it at costco. When my husband goes to Mexico he was going to see if he could find it there. It isn't exactly like sugar but it does sweeten well without spiking the blood sugar. I think. Tell me if I'm wrong.

I think I need to see a nutritionist to come up with a plan that will work nutritionally for me with real foods, but I do feel okay with what I'm doing. I just lose a lb every few days, but I guess that is okay for now b/c I'm trying to regain my health. I do eat a lot of Protein. Sometimes, like today, I can handle eggs. Every once in a while I mess up b/c the big part for me has been to a)take small bites, b)learn to chew well and c)to sipmy drinks and not when I'm eating. I have slimed a few times, 4 I think. If a puree is very thick I can't handle it at all, sometimes it is better for me just to eat more regular foods. I tried a baked potato once, ewww, that didn't go well. Too thick.

I feel like everyone does this a bit differently. I feel healed, but have to keep reminding myself I am still not at 6 weeks. I ate a chicken enchilada the other day and it was by far the best thing I've eaten. It wasn't huge by any means, just a little enchilada. But I felt extremely satisfied afterwards. It was from a restaurant that really purees their chicken and it was very soft and yummy. I still crave the same old spicey foods, just can't eat them. But when I eat something like that, that was always a favorite that is good for me. I just eat like 1/4 or 1/5 of what I used to eat. Like I couldn't eat the million chips or the rice or the Beans or the other two enchiladas or the guacamole or the tomato.......so gosh, I felt satisfied just with the one small enchilada. I smiled the rest of the day I think.

. And it is a fight to get my Vitamins down. I hate the sweetness of the Flintstone Vitamins and want something I can simply swallow. Any suggestions? The thing that will help me lose weight is simply the restriction. I have lost 26 lbs but before surgery I had already lost like 10. Then I lost quite a bit more real quick in the hospital, but 2 weeks the weight loss has slowed, but I don't care. I'm working on it, but not spazzing out over it. I'm more concerned with being healed internally and making sure I have no leaks.

I haven't lost my interest in food at all and I'm 3.5 weeks out. Are you all saying I will still lose it soon? B/c I don't see that happening. I don't feel real different than before as far as appetite, when I'm full I'm not hungry but that is normal. I can't eat beyond being full or it hurts, so I've learned when I'm full through trial and error. When I'm hungry I can think of lots of things to eat, although what I want to eat varies from day to day. What I can't handle is the Protein shakes anymore and the artificial sweeteners too. I always kind of had an aversion so I did it a while and I got very constipated and I stopped. I use agave a lot in liquid form to sweeten tea, for instance, or oatmeal. We buy it at costco. When my husband goes to Mexico he was going to see if he could find it there. It isn't exactly like sugar but it does sweeten well without spiking the blood sugar. I think. Tell me if I'm wrong.

I think I need to see a nutritionist to come up with a plan that will work nutritionally for me with real foods, but I do feel okay with what I'm doing. I just lose a lb every few days, but I guess that is okay for now b/c I'm trying to regain my health. I do eat a lot of Protein. Sometimes, like today, I can handle eggs. Every once in a while I mess up b/c the big part for me has been to a)take small bites, b)learn to chew well and c)to sipmy drinks and not when I'm eating. I have slimed a few times, 4 I think. If a puree is very thick I can't handle it at all, sometimes it is better for me just to eat more regular foods. I tried a baked potato once, ewww, that didn't go well. Too thick.

I feel like everyone does this a bit differently. I feel healed, but have to keep reminding myself I am still not at 6 weeks. I ate a chicken enchilada the other day and it was by far the best thing I've eaten. It wasn't huge by any means, just a little enchilada. But I felt extremely satisfied afterwards. It was from a restaurant that really purees their chicken and it was very soft and yummy. I still crave the same old spicey foods, just can't eat them. But when I eat something like that, that was always a favorite that is good for me. I just eat like 1/4 or 1/5 of what I used to eat. Like I couldn't eat the million chips or the rice or the Beans or the other two enchiladas or the guacamole or the tomato.......so gosh, I felt satisfied just with the one small enchilada. I smiled the rest of the day I think.

. And it is a fight to get my Vitamins down. I hate the sweetness of the Flintstone Vitamins and want something I can simply swallow. Any suggestions? The thing that will help me lose weight is simply the restriction. I have lost 26 lbs but before surgery I had already lost like 10. Then I lost quite a bit more real quick in the hospital, but 2 weeks the weight loss has slowed, but I don't care. I'm working on it, but not spazzing out over it. I'm more concerned with being healed internally and making sure I have no leaks.

I use the prenatal chewable vitamins. (Available by prescription) The Flinstones are lacking a lot of things you need. Tiffy can help you more with this topic.

Just use caution when progressing your diet. Just because you feel healed doesn't mean you are. Everyone is different and you may not lose your desire for food, but a lot of sleeve patients go through that stage. I still have it some days so even at 9 months out there are little struggles that no one really talks about.

As for the vitamins, if you want a capsule to swallow, I would check out the Twinlab multi capsules. They are a more complete Multivitamin for adults, and are recommended by several of the Vitamin gurus that I follow pretty religiously on OH.

Click on the spreadsheet icon within this link. This is a comparison chart made by Jill on OH that lists all of the popular vitamins used by bariatric patients. I'm switching to the Twinlab multi and I order all my vitamins/supplements from vitacost.com

You don't have to log in, or sign up to view it and save it. Just click on the spreadsheet chart, it'll pop up an excel document.

Link for Vitamin comparison: http://cid-afaf4604e9981bb6.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/VitsComparison.xlsx

I place a big order, and they charge a flat rate of $4.99 for shipping.

Here's the link from vitacost.com for the Twinlab multi that is listed in the comparison chart.

Twinlab Daily One Caps with Iron -- 60 Capsules - Vitacost

$8.63 for a 30 day supply (I will take 2 of these capsules just like I take 2 of current chewable multi)

On the agave, from what I've read it's on the "low glycemic index", but it's got 5grams of carbs per ounce so it's definitely better than other sweeteners if you can tolerate it, it is high heat processed just like the other sweeteners so it's not a raw or whole food. It's processed much the same as maple Syrup from what I've read on it.

In regaining your health, changing your eating habits, and switching gears mentally really helps. Once you're a few months out, making healthy choices gets more difficult because you are cleared for regular foods, temptation becomes stronger, and if you give in this early out, how are you going to manage those temptations once you are a few months out, and can eat that 1/2 container of ice cream? That was my biggest concern to be honest. It wasn't about just the physical weight loss. It was about completely changing my relationship with food, and my lifestyle had to be remolded. My mentality with food had to change, head hunger became a thing of the past, and I am in control. The sleeve makes it easier to avoid temptation, but if I wanted to, I can easily eat an entire can of Pringles, but I choose not to because honestly, why would I want to screw up all the hard work it took me to get where I'm at today.

Seeing a nutritionist is a wonderful plan as long as they are familiar with Bariatric Eating, and your nutritional needs.

I'm not sure which food stage you are on, but if it's mushes/purees, the enchilada isn't terrible, but there are plenty of mushies/purees and even soft solids out there that are better options.

I'm 4 weeks today and all week I have been struggling with this non-desire to eat. It's killing me because I know I am seriously lacking calories. LIke yesterday I ate some egg whites with cut up deli turkey and a little cheese on top and that was it all day. I drank a lot of Water and it just felt like there was no room for food. It's like when I wasn't drinking enough water I had a little bit more of an appetite, like I would eat 3 times instead of 1. BUt now that I'm chugging down water all day it just feels like there's no room for anything else. I know I need food and I know I need water and I know I need Protein. How the heck do you get it all in during the day?!? It seems like I can't do them all together. It's getting really emotional because I want to be successful but it doesn't seem feasible for me.

I'm six weeks out. This week I have lost all interest in food. I could careless if I eat and when I do eat it just doesn't taste good. I know I need to be getting my calories in so I force myself to eat. But really I wouldn't if I didn't have to.

Did anyone else feel this way and what did you do? Did it last? I just don't know how I could get more calories without having to many carbs.

Thanks

I think I could have written this myself. I keep telling my husband that "it's just too much trouble to eat". Last night I went to my favorite Mexican restaurant. I ordered a taco with just beef and cheese and a side of refried Beans. Mind you - this is my FAVORITE restaurant, but I didn't like the taste of the meat. :sad0:

I think Tiff is right - we need to experiment with recipes and spices. I had no idea that this would affect my tastebuds. I wonder why it does???

I'm 4 weeks today and all week I have been struggling with this non-desire to eat. It's killing me because I know I am seriously lacking calories. LIke yesterday I ate some egg whites with cut up deli turkey and a little cheese on top and that was it all day. I drank a lot of Water and it just felt like there was no room for food. It's like when I wasn't drinking enough Water I had a little bit more of an appetite, like I would eat 3 times instead of 1. BUt now that I'm chugging down water all day it just feels like there's no room for anything else. I know I need food and I know I need water and I know I need Protein. How the heck do you get it all in during the day?!? It seems like I can't do them all together. It's getting really emotional because I want to be successful but it doesn't seem feasible for me.

Wouldn't it be better in this case to forego some of the water and actually eat something? Even though water is extremely important, it doesn't have any nutritional value. At least you could get some more Protein and Vitamins in through food. And some food does have some moisture value so that would help with hydration, right?

I use agave a lot in liquid form to sweeten tea, for instance, or oatmeal. We buy it at costco. When my husband goes to Mexico he was going to see if he could find it there. It isn't exactly like sugar but it does sweeten well without spiking the blood sugar. I think. Tell me if I'm wrong.

Hi! I use light agave nectar a lot. You aren't wrong but there is a little more to it. Agave does have a lower glycemic index than honey and is much better for you than refined sugar. Another factoid is that it's not truly raw as it has to be heated, though there ares some brands that do not heat above a certain temp for that reason (not that you care, probably!). While Agave is better for you than a lot of sweetners, Stevia is better for you than agave nectar. WAY better. It is also a lot sweeter so less goes further. This I learned from my raw food instructor.... :(

I was hoping this surgery was going to kill my hunger more than it has. That was my main motivation really, so I'm quite disappointed to still feel it so often. And although I don't crave food anymore, I'm not repulsed by it. I just eat to rid the hunger, but I wish I didn't have to eat so often. Nothing seems to stick with me. I don't know what size my stomach is but it's on my list of questions for the surgeon.

I'm 6 weeks out and just starting regular food, so perhaps I'm not eating enough at each meal (I'm afraid to overeat). Right now I'm eating the chicken and veggies out of my first Lean Cuisine, trying to avoid the rice, and I'm fine so far with 1/2 of it down. Curious to see if it holds me until dinner.