Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Suddenly Lactose Intolerant? Help Please

Hello Team,

I thought I was finally over the 4 days of massive runs. I did mostly Clear liquids on Wednesday and yesterday felt good. This morning I had a Chike Protein Shake and it sent me straight back to the bathroom. The same thing happened this afternoon after a sugar free fudgesicle.

Have any of you become lactose intolerant post op? Does it go away? How long until it does?

Any suggestions on things to eat while on Full liquids? I have another week on full and I don't want to get weak. I may try Greek Yogurt again tomorrow without any other dairy to see if stays in ok. I could live on Greek Yogurt but would love some variety. I haven't made Cream of Wheat or applesauce because I don't want the carbs.

What would you do if you were me? :thumbup:

Lee, I think a lot of problems with Proteins was the whey component. Yes, I was picky, but that stuff made me feel horrible as well.

For the cream of wheat, I got the instant, and mixed in an egg white to give it at least some Protein. The tiny amount you are going to be able to consume isn't going to hurt you on carbs this early out. Plus, it's good Fiber.

Strained cream of _________ Soups are good.

i was but i just not started to eat dairy products in small amounts so i i'm assuming in a year it may subside or may always have to take it like i buy all my shakes lactose free for the most part but i brought some pro joes and they didn't do nothing bad just gave me gas so i wont be drinking them everyday.

xoxo,

nikki

I had really awful issues with dairy products during my first month and a half... as I have transitioned to normal foods (I'm 2.5 months out now) I can tolerate cheeses a stuff... straight up milk/ frozen yogurts/ etc still don't work for me.

Thanks for the replies Tiffy, Nikki and Jewels. I think this is just going to be a learning process for me.

I did ok on Greek Yogurt this morning followed by Cream of Wheat w/soymilk for lunch. The Cream of Wheat was great after living on Soup and yogurt.

Howdy Lee,

Unless you had lactose issues before, that's probably not what's happening to you now. Like they say, liquid in, liquid out... I was in the same shoes you are in - pretty much non stop squirts (eew, I know) until the minute I started on mushies. It was no fun and I wanted to take a picture of the first "real" one after that!!! You're doing great, hang in there.

Oh, I loved (still do for that matter) cream Soups while on full liquids. Just be sure to strain out any pieces and watch the carbs, as always, but eating such small amounts, it's not much of a worry at this stage.

Carol

Thanks Carol. It's interesting that I'm fine when I eat greek yogurt and cream of wheat w/soymilk, but as soon as I add in Optimum Nutrition whey powder or Chike, I go off again. I haven't had any cream Soups, except Trader Joe's Organic Creamy Tomato Soup and I think I was ok with that. It seems to be the Protein powders that do me in.

I'm hopeful that I'll soon be on pureed foods, just another week or so, then I can get my Protein from better sources.

I'm glad I'm not the only one in this boat, but that said, I'm sorry it happened to you as well. I'm glad yours cleared up. I'd hate to not be able to eat cheese etc.

It's very common to become lactose intolerant after sleeve surgery.

That is one of the reasons I like mucsle milk. It's lactose free

You can try lactaid, but more than likely, it's a case of liquids in liquids out during this stage. We all went through it.

I'm wondering if the whey powder and/or Chike are artificially sweetened. If I drink or eat anything with splenda, (sucralose), I get alot of gas and the runs.

I don't think I'm lactose intolerant because I can eat cheese, but I took a bite of my husband's ice cream one night and got horribly sick to my stomach. This was while I was on soft foods. I don't think it was the sugar either, because I use a small amount of sugar in my tea each day. A week later I tried a bite of ice cream again at a birthday party - and the same thing happened. So I guess I'm done with ice cream - not that I NEED it anyway! :001_rolleyes: My husband and I are going to Italy in May and I'm already mourning the gelato I WON'T be eating...

I can eat a little bit of ice cream, but more than just a little bit sends me to the rest room for several hours after that. I can eat cheese and yogurt, but I can't drink milk.

Lactose intolerance is definitely one of the side effects from sleeve surgery. I don't know why cheese and yogurt don't seem to have the same effect as straight milk, but everything I have read about sleeve surgery talks about lactose intolerance becoming an issue for patients.

Lee, I've always been lactose intolerant and the Chike powder had my stomach cramping horribly and straight to the bathroom when I first discovered it after surgery. I spoke to my nutritionist about it and she had never heard of this happening to her other patients, even those who were lactose intolerant. Because I suffered with Constipation after surgery, and it was one of the only brands I could tolerate to drink, I still used it periodically...it usually took care of my constipation problem;-)

I've never had a problem with yogurt and some cheeses are okay, but others are not and I'm off to the bathroom. Real ice cream has always been hit or miss with me, sometimes I can tolerate it, other times it gives me problems. I didn't worry so much about the carbs on the full liquid phase, but that's just me, because I was eating so little. I did cream of potato Soup, yogurt, unjury's Protein chicken Soup, Jello, more yogurt, and other creamed Soups...pretty boring I know. I didn't do applesauce because pre-op it could give my stomach problems and send me running to the bathroom.

Good luck through the rest of this phase!

I love how we all support each other around here. Thank you all for sharing your experiences. I think it's just the Protein powder, both Optimum Nutrition and Chike so I'm putting those to rest for now.

Daisy, you're an angel! I didn't realize that Muscle Milk Light is lactose free. I have a case of those puppies!! I know what I'll be drinking today! :)

Oh I am glad you have some. I love that stuff. I think it's yummy but some people think it's too sweet. I have the muscle milk light.