Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Aceves/Mexicali Travel Guide (New)

First, I am not a sleeve patient, my wife was sleeved on January 27th. I travelled with her for support and had no idea what to do for food, gifts, or entertainment while in Mexicali. So I went out exploring while I was there and figured I would post this as a starter guide. I hope others will add their experiences to this. Another thought is that patients who are trying to get people to travel with them will read this. Companions will realize they don't just have to sit in the hospital room the entire time, but can have some fun while giving support for the person they are travelling with. Keep in mind 90% of the time I was walking and in the room with my wife. She can't stand me to be in the room 100% of the time :crying:

I ate at 4 different restaurants while in Mexicali.

Day 1

For the "Last Meal" we ate at the steakhouse in the Hotel. The food was great, and for a last meal, the money we spent was reasonable. We had some wine which is low carb and a single glass won't kill your pre-op diet. Less that 3 carbs and about 80 calories per glass.

Day 2

I skipped Breakfast and lunch on day one. For dinner the first night in the hospital I went to an Italian restaurant that everyone you ask in the hospital will recommend. The food was decent, but it wouldn't last in the north end of Boston for a week. I can't remember the name, but I'm sure someone will chime in with the name and I'll edit the post. I'd rate this restaurant below macaroni Grill or Olive Garden. For $13-$15 a plate I'd skip it if I found a better option. I had a beer with dinner so I spent $20 with tip. The experience was great though, I went out with a group of other support members and we had some nice conversation.

Day 3

My first lunch was the cafateria in the Almater Hopital. They have a great breakfast and a decent lunch. The cost is reasonable and I rate the food on scale with your typical chain breakfast restaurant, like IHOP.

I ate at the cafeteria for breakfast and according to the menu I had some mexican eggs. I told Dr. Aceves what I had and he said I had rancheros. I'll let them debate the name of what I ate, it was good. I had two diet cokes with breakfast because that my breakfastmy drink of choice. Diet coke in Mexico tastes nothing like it does in the states, WAY BETTER. What are they feeding us in the USA? 10 bucks and I was done with breakfast.

For Lunch I thought I would explore some of the city so I set out in one direction for about 6 blocks looking for something good to eat and maybe a gift shop. I found some sportsbar type restaurants but they all looked closed. I found out later on that lunch time is around 1-2 pm. After walking back toward the Hospital I came across "Chevalas De La Reforma". It's a sports bar so I went in for a beer and some food. No idea what to get I ordered a Tacate and some nacho's. Both were average. (please read tomorrows meal at the same restaurant below). The bartender speaks good english and likes to get americans in the bar to practice. His name is Alonzo, tell him I said Hi if you go. I asked him where to get some gifts and he told be there was a mall 4 blocks from the Hospital. More on this later.

I went out for dinner at the Italian place again. I tried the diavlo Pasta because the night before one of the other people I was with said it was great. It was better than what I had the night before, but still average.

Day 4

I had Mexican eggs again for breakfast, see above. 10 bucks... poof.

So I went looking for the mall after walking with Amy and Dave all morning. She wanted me to get some gifts so I had the ok :thumbup1:

The mall is four blocks from the Hospital just like Alonzo said. Go out the emergency room exit and go right. Four blocks later you'll see a rather large mall. I was expecting a small strip mall. Nope, this is about 100 stores, and everything you could possibly want. I got a bunch of t-shirts for everyone, (great deal) the other folks on the ward were surprised.

After the mall I went back to "Chevalas de la Reforma" for Lunch. Since Alonzo's recommendation for the gift shop was so good I asked him what to eat. He told me to get the shrimp tostada. Sure, why not. Opps, out of shrimp but the fish is fresh today. I never ate a fish taco so I was skeptical, but I tried it anyway. AWESOME, one tostada and I was full, 20 peso's! Thats right, $1.40 for lunch and way better for me than anything else ate to this point. They give you 3 tortillas and a plate full of stuff to put on them. I had an Indio draft beer, much better than the Tacate. Great Lunch, good coversation and you can't beat the price.

I asked Alonzo what the name of the sportsbar was all about. Well the Reforma was because of the street the bar was on. Chevelas is the name of a local drink. It's the bastard cousin of a bloody mary. Start with bloody mary mix add cayenne and salt to the rim of the glass like a margarita and add beer. He made me one on the house. it was really good, but you better like a bloody mary before you order one.:drool5:

I hope this helps those travelling with your friends, family and spouses to Mexicali.

Good luck to everyone,

Joe

Edited by Joe

I had a blast at the mall. I wonder if it was the same one. The lady I rode over from San Diego needed to get a cell phone charger and she spoke Spanish. She insisted we take a cab. Now I am wondering if the cab driver "took us for a ride" because it seemed way longer than a few blocks. It was fun though. I liked seeing the houses and neighborhoods he took us through.

Great of you to post this Joe, we frequently get inquiries of what to do, where to eat, where to shop during slack time when going for surgery.

Thanks!

Great post! Thank you for the "tour" were the stores in the Mall just normal US mall stores?? or some tourist stores? Sounds like a nice walk. Did you feel safe???(Ok I know you are a dude...would you let your wife walk alone???)

I also ate at the Italian place I believe you are talking about.

Exit Emergency door to street turn right, at corner turn right and halfway down the street on your left is the Italian place.

I wish I had know the mall was only four blocks, I would have walked to it.

Safe? I always felt safe. Heck, there was hardly anyone around, and they didn't really pay much attention to me, other then to smile and waive?

During the day, I didn't see anything to be afraid of except the big ass doberman that scared the crap out of me TWICE! He waits for you to get right in front of his gate then barks and jumps at you. I walked around some at night too (not as far). There are no young kids (gang member types) hanging out on the streets. When I walked to the mall I passed maybe 4 people on the same side of the street as me. Right before you get to the mall there is an area that has shanties. It's off to the right about a block. But at that point the mall is visible. I didn't feel threatened walking past it. Just get a cab and tell them you want to go to the mall 4 blocks from the hospital and avoid the "tour of the city".

The mall itself is very similar to what you would find in the US. There is a Sears, Subway and Burger King, the rest are mexican stores. I did find a store in there that sold Day of the Dead masks and jewlery. It was pretty neat. Lots of other jewlery stores, clothing, electronics and leather stores. There is a whole wing of the mall that is hair and nail salons.

For those that have not been to Mexicali, the area is jam packed with hospitals and clinics. During my walk I went by 1/2 a dozen dental clinics, 4 or 5 plastic surgery clinics and 3 Hospitals. This is all in a 6 block area. The rest of the stores are pharmacies (maybe 20 just in the area I walked) and restaurants.

I did ask Alonzo if there was anything I should be afraid of walking around and He told me the area was low crime and I didn't have to be worried about getting mugged. You should use your best judgement. To answer your question about letting my wife walk to the mall. Well if she wants to walk to the mall, I can't stop her anyway. I wouldn't try to stop her during the day. At night I'd recommend a cab.:thumbup1:

Steve, thats the same Italian place. Chevalas is on the same street but in the other direction so

Exit Emergency door to street turn right, at corner turn left and about 1 block down is the Doberman :thumbup1: cross the street and your at Chevalas.

wowow, it's nice to hear you had a great time in Mexicali.....i had a great time too in the hospital LOL......and i really recommend Dr. Aceves....Mexicali is a nice small town, people are really friendly and always willing to help. I definitely recommend everyone to contact

Dr. Aceves, he's an excellent doctor.

Actually, Mexicali is very big, if you look on a map. That had to have been the same mall we went to. It makes me laugh now that I realize the cab driver took his sweet time giving us a tour of the city to take us there. My last meal before surgery was burger king because by the time I got there, I hadn't eaten because you can't eat before testing.

I am glad I went to that mall. It was fun getting away from the hospital.

So did anyone else try some of the other restaurants around the area? I was hoping this would get some more information. Did anyone have their "last meal" in the italian place at the Hotel, what was it like?

We did that last meal in the hotel Italian place. I can't really remember what we got, but it was a lot.

wowow, it's nice to hear you had a great time in Mexicali.....i had a great time too in the hospital LOL......and i really recommend Dr. Aceves....Mexicali is a nice small town, people are really friendly and always willing to help. I definitely recommend everyone to contact

Dr. Aceves, he's an excellent doctor.

MARY:

Mexicali is the capital of Baja. It is HUGE.

Mexicali proper has a population of 653,046, according to the 2005 census, while the population of the entire metropolitan area exceeds 900,000.

Mexicali - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are two Baja States. Baja California Norte (north)Capital: Mexicali

Baja California SUR (south) Capital: La Paz

You will all know Baja Calif Sur better as the Cabo San Lucas area.

Wikipedia is not accurate all the time.

Right, but if you look on a map, Mexicali is not a small town.

So did anyone else try some of the other restaurants around the area? I was hoping this would get some more information. Did anyone have their "last meal" in the italian place at the Hotel, what was it like?

We had our last meal at the Italian place at the hotel. It was EXCEllent!!

Sure didn't feel like "I coulda done better". It was terrific. Great margaritas

too!