Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Thread of the 200+ lb group

In 3 weeks I have lost 40 I will loose over 250 lbs by next july

That is outstanding! I am needing to loose 291 total to get to my target weight.

How long did it take you to loose the weight?

I believe that my doctor will advise me to have the gastric bypass however I believe that my body responds quickly to exercise however my eating is out of control. I beleive that gastric bypass may be too drastic for me. Any advice.

Wow tbtroy what an accomplishment! Your doing amazingly. . .keep up the excellent work, it's tough, but with this sleeve thingy it's definately possible! (doing the happy dance for tbtroy)

The surgery is easy. Adapting to the restrictions is the challenge.

You hit the nail right on the head! Adapting is the toughest thing of all with this surgery. . . it's frustrating too. . . I've noticed i've slide into some bad eating habits again. . not too many calories or such but missing meals, eating on the run, if it's not good I won't eat for the day. . . stuff like that. . taking my diurectics cause it'll help me loose more weight. . you know, bad habits we picked up from before. . . those were easy days, I didn't have to think about things. . .i've noticed that i'm losing very very very fast since i've picked that up. . . but that isn't healthy at all. . i'm not weighing (got a bit freaked out when I weighed a couple weeks ago and noticed that I had lost 10 lbs in 4 days, haven't weighed since then) but i can surely tell on my clothes and comments from people. . .maybe once everything gets back to normal, so will i. . . . yeah right?????

I'm 14 months out and have not made "goal".. Goal is 160- I've been over two hundred for the last 20 years.. so I am not fretting this...

I am also older than most in here. and yes.. the weight loss has slowed down.. and I have not exercised like I should....

But I have lost 181 pounds...... and am VERY happy with that. This has changed my life...... in more ways than one. And I will continue to follow the rules and make it even further... but will not let it determine who I am... I will do that. at 173 pounds or less!!!

Been years since I could even say what I weighed......... but is a feather in my cap now!!!!

I'm 5'7 and my consultation weight was 331. I get sleeved 7/14/10 (Wednesday). I've got a long way to go. They set an initial goal of 150, but I have small bones and I think 130 is more like it, but we'll see.

Did you reach your goal of 200 lbs.?

Sweet it is true the bigger u are the faster it goes I am 5'5 1/2" 470ibs day of surgery at 17 days post op I am 32lbs lighter so I am hoping for 100lbs by 6/1/10 and 200lbs by six months

I know this is a late respnce to the last posting on the thread, but I wanted to share in case someone else worries about being 400+ and how the VGS works. I was sleeved in April 2010 and had to date lost 137 lbs, a mere 7 lbs from my 1/2 way point. I did gain 4 lbs over Christmas, but lost it + another 8 since then. The one thing that ALWAYS kept me from being successful in dieting prior to VGS was binging after a bad day. With the sleeve I can't do that, so it's easy to bounce back to the diet.

I have been a nurse for 10 years now and have seen many people with the R&Y who have not had a good time with it, including one co-worker nurse that ended up on IV feeding tubes because Kaiser made her stomach too small and her bypass too short. I have not had any complications from my surgery and it continues to do great things for me. Even if I plateau at 300lbs, I am still so much better then I was at 450. I have a life again.

My 2 cents.

Hello. I'm a bit new here myself. Been scanning the forums and whatnot for a little bit now and I'm finding soooo much that is helpful to me here and I am VERY thankful for that!

I have a VSG surgery date of Feb. 25th with Dr. J Adair in Michigan's U.P.

I'm 5'3"/375 and ready for my life to change for the better.

I am a Wife and Mother and active in my Traditional Native American community here.

I'm feeling excited,scared,nervous and maybe even a tiny bit ready to chicken out today.:(

But I know that will pass and excited will rule me again and I'll be all set to walk this path all the way through regardless of today.

I know it's more than likely getting at me more just now because I have to go back to the sleep study folk for another sleepover tonite.They want me on a machine for surgery so I got bumped up to try and get it all arranged in time YAY!! (NOT!!!):blink:

Oh well. Ain't nothin' I won't do to get through this.

I know in my heart this is what I need to do to actually live the future I envision daily so I'm up for this fight.

My only wish is that I had a true friend to walk with me through it.

My husband is my best friend and he is a wonderful,compassionate,charmed man and loves me very much.

But it's a bit tough not having that woman-to-woman or friend-to-friend support.I'm not in a support group and I don't really talk to anyone about what's really going on with me much.

I do have a sister in-law that is looking at getting the lap-band but she is a very private kinda person (same as me usually) and so I'm careful not to talk about too much or say anything that might scare her.

I want the best for her and would just hate it if I said or did something that would make her change her mind about her surgery.She isn't well and needs this too.

Anyway,just thought I would drop a line or two about myself here to try and get aquainted with everyone. Hope all that are here and walking this path find true peace and wellness with their choices and that we all find ourselves on the other side of this journey happy and healthy forever!

Miigwetch and thanks!;)

T

Hello. I'm a bit new here myself. Been scanning the forums and whatnot for a little bit now and I'm finding soooo much that is helpful to me here and I am VERY thankful for that!

I have a VSG surgery date of Feb. 25th with Dr. J Adair in Michigan's U.P.

I'm 5'3"/375 and ready for my life to change for the better.

I am a Wife and Mother and active in my Traditional Native American community here.

I'm feeling excited,scared,nervous and maybe even a tiny bit ready to chicken out today.:(

But I know that will pass and excited will rule me again and I'll be all set to walk this path all the way through regardless of today.

I know it's more than likely getting at me more just now because I have to go back to the sleep study folk for another sleepover tonite.They want me on a machine for surgery so I got bumped up to try and get it all arranged in time YAY!! (NOT!!!):blink:

Oh well. Ain't nothin' I won't do to get through this.

I know in my heart this is what I need to do to actually live the future I envision daily so I'm up for this fight.

My only wish is that I had a true friend to walk with me through it.

My husband is my best friend and he is a wonderful,compassionate,charmed man and loves me very much.

But it's a bit tough not having that woman-to-woman or friend-to-friend support.I'm not in a support group and I don't really talk to anyone about what's really going on with me much.

I do have a sister in-law that is looking at getting the lap-band but she is a very private kinda person (same as me usually) and so I'm careful not to talk about too much or say anything that might scare her.

I want the best for her and would just hate it if I said or did something that would make her change her mind about her surgery.She isn't well and needs this too.

Anyway,just thought I would drop a line or two about myself here to try and get aquainted with everyone. Hope all that are here and walking this path find true peace and wellness with their choices and that we all find ourselves on the other side of this journey happy and healthy forever!

Miigwetch and thanks!;)

T

Hi Tracy and welcome to the forum. Nice to see another Michigander in the house. Thank you for sharing your story. I too am one that has always been more reserved and less apt to talk, especially about weight issues. Since my surgery I have been overwhelmed with the desire to share and encourage others as they look at this process. It is very helpful and educational to share your story with others that have been down the path or are looking to begin their journey. You'll find many supportive people here. If you have a peer support group available though your Dr or surgery center I would highly recommend you check it out and get involved. Good luck and take care.

Hi Tracy and welcome to the forum. Nice to see another Michigander in the house. Thank you for sharing your story. I too am one that has always been more reserved and less apt to talk, especially about weight issues. Since my surgery I have been overwhelmed with the desire to share and encourage others as they look at this process. It is very helpful and educational to share your story with others that have been down the path or are looking to begin their journey. You'll find many supportive people here. If you have a peer support group available though your Dr or surgery center I would highly recommend you check it out and get involved. Good luck and take care.

Thanks Paul! It was good of you to drop me a word like that.I like what you had to say and appreciate the effort. Going in tomorrow morning for my surgery and I'm really feelin' it today. But I hold my resolve real close and I know I will get through all this just fine.Your advice about the support group is good stuff. I agree for sure that those of us going through this need that BIg Time! They set us up for AFTER surgery but so far nothing for before around here. I think I'm gonna get on that myself actually.Maybe that kinda work will be good for me and help keep me motivated and happy after. Nothing like doing for others to keep your mind off yourself. Figure to try and keep busy as soon as I am able to get busy..(after I heal a bit of course) Hahaha! Thanks again...

Take care!

Will be thinking of you and sending positive thoughts your way tonight and tomorrow. Just think - this time tomorrow you will be sleeved and off on a great adventure!

I just wanted to share my experience with you. I too am 5'6 and weighed 331 the day of surgery. I am approaching my six month post op date here at the end of march. I have lost 81 lbs. I am weighing 250. And even though it is such a huge accomplishment, its hard for me to see the light at the end of the tunnel because I still have so much more weight to loose. Ideally I would like to see myself at 160-165 lbs, which means I still have 85 pounds to go. So im trying to stay focused and not get discouraged, but its hard becasue I wonder if I will make my goal? Or if I will be considered a plus size chic for life.