Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Normal to be able to drink a lot 5 days out?

Hello and thank you in advance for your responses.

I am able to drink a lot of Clear liquids -- e.g. I can drink an 8 oz. glass of Water or juice, 4 oz. at a time, which is 1/2 a cup.

Was anyone else able to do this?

Should I be doing this (I'm thirsty!)?

If so, what are the consequences for the new stomach size?

Thanks very much for your help.

Kindest regards,

Cheryl

I don't know about that much 5 days out from surgery. I do know that I could handle a lot more liquids than when I went on to thick Soups and mushies. I could not handle very much and had to get used to the slow chewing, slow eating. The liquids slide down so much easier.

Cheryl - my surgery was wednesday evening and now it's Saturday morning. Starting on Thursday I could drink more then what the doc allowed me, but I followed his 1 oz an hour rule...Today, I'm allowed 3oz of shake for Breakfast, 3 oz. for lunch and 3 oz. for dinner, plus 32-64 oz of Clear Liquids throughout the day. Suffice it to say, I will have no problem getting this down...I just had Breakfast and forced myself to stop even though I knew I could drink more. I'm sipping Water instead to remain hydrated and to dump all the excess Fluid weight I gained in the hospital. The doc told me I should have no trouble with fluids, it's real food that is going to be tough.

I do find if I stand while I'm drinking my shakes, it goes down much smoother and with a lot less gas/pressure...I hope this helps!

I was able to drink as much as I wanted right from the start too. You need to protect the staple line and that's why they say to sip only a few ounces every 15 min.You don't want any pressure against the staple line.

Just consider yourself to be one of the lucky ones. Some people get very nauseous the first few weeks. Just drink however slowly your surgeon instructed you do drink, even if you feel like you can drink a lot faster than you were told.

Hi -- thanks for the information. You're right -- I wouldn't want to break the sutures. During and after I drink, I do not feel any discomfort.

Actually, ever since I was able to get down the 1/2 glass of blue stuff with very little problem, I've had no issues with drinking clears.

And I, like many others, were never given any "maximum" amounts to drink -- only "minimums".

I suspect my fundamental fear is that I'll also be able to do this with the next food levels so that the sleeve stretches and/or I'm not able to lose weight.

C

Hi Cheryl,

Oregondaisy's right, consider yourself lucky because I can only drink maybe2 oz before feeling overly full. What about your full liquids ie Protein Shakes, Soups, etc.? Are you able to drink unlimited too? I can only take about 1/2 cup at a time...

I do know I'm a fast healer, so perhaps that's why I'm able to have so much liquid.

Melissa checked with the Doc, who said it's normal. I also asked about the consequences to the sleeve, and there appeared to be none. On the one hand, I'm feeling 'abnormal' as it seems so many lose their appetite, period.

Not me. I'm thirsty and hungry. On the other hand, of course I'm happy that I'm able to keep hydrated.

I have to up my Protein so full fluids (e.g. apple puree) have Protein mix in them until I get to 65-70 grams protein and 30 grams of carbs.

Way enough about me, how are you doing overall?

Thanks for your message!

Cheers for now,

Cheryl

I am 6 days out and until today, I had so much discomfort with sipping anything. Today I noticed being able to gulp also. I am kind of glad because the discomfort sucked rocks. :thumbup:

Like I said, consider yourself lucky. So many people get weak and dehydrated because they have so much trouble drinking. I was lucky too, and had no trouble getting all my Protein and fluids in. I loved my Protein Drinks and I think it's great that you're doing so well!

I am 4 days postop today. I guess I'm one of the unlucky ones since I can only take in about 2 ounces in 1/2 an hour without feel completely full and uncomfortable. I am determined to get my Water and at least 1/2 my Protein today. So wish me luck!