Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nervous - PSYCH appt. tomorrow

Hi everyone ~

I have my psychologist appointment tomorrow and I'm pretty nervous. I've never been to a psychologist. I really dont know what to expect and I dont want to say the wrong thing but want to be completely honest with him. I truly want to be sure that WLS is for me.

Can anyone provide their experiences?

Thanks so much!!!

Hi everyone ~

I have my psychologist appointment tomorrow and I'm pretty nervous. I've never been to a psychologist. I really dont know what to expect and I dont want to say the wrong thing but want to be completely honest with him. I truly want to be sure that WLS is for me.

Can anyone provide their experiences?

Thanks so much!!!

Hey don't sweat it, it's simple. . . i don't know how your psych does it, but with mine it was sooooo easy. . . we had to fill out bubble test of about 400 questions. . . very boring, but don't get lazy over it, some are trick questions. . .then after you were done, she called me in and asked some of the same questions on the test, and that was it. . . don't worry about answering wrong, just don't say yes to " do you feel like harming yourself" or "do you feel like harming others". . . that would make you fail for sure! Just have fun. . .I ended up asking the psych question and she answering them instead of the other way around. . .it was easy paced and fun! Hope your experience is just as enjoyable. . . good luck

Mine was very similiar. We ended up talking like old friends, instead of dr/patient. I found that mine had WLS 9 years ago - losing and keeping off 140 pounds. WOW!

I agree with Tiff answer no to questions asking if you ever felt like hurting yourself or others and if you've ever contemplated suicide.

A friend of mine who was going through the process of having wls saw the psychologist and answered yes to sometimes contemplating suicide (she has some issues) and they ended up telling her that she wasnt a suitable candidate "at this time" and that she should consider further psychiatric (yes psychatric) treatment. About a year later, however, she went to another surgeon/psych and paid special attention the question and her answers and passed the psych exam with no problem.

best of luck!

My first psych eval was pretty hilarious to be honest. I had to take a test on a computer with all the crazy questions like "would you like to be a florist?" "Is your dad a good man?" There were also True/False and Multiple choice questions that were pretty out there. It was pretty much profiling my personality, and my behavioral tendencies. Plus, I had to answer some standard mental health questions as well. I had to answer the same anxiety, depression, suicide questions. I had never been to a psych either, and was nervous. After the testing, I met with him, and we discussed the WLS of my choice, the pros and cons, my lifestyle, and why I chose LapBand. I also discussed how my husband was handling the decision I had made to have WLS. It wasn't stressful or embarassing once I sat down in the chair and actually talked to him.

For my revision surgery, I had to meet with a different psych only bc my husband was deployed during my surgery dates. They wanted to make sure I could handle major surgery even without my husband home. I didn't have to take any tests with her. We just discussed my complications with the band, why I wanted to revise, and how I was going to "cope" without my husband.

Hi Everyone ~ thanks so much for your replies. I love hearing from all of you. Such a great support system! I'll keep you posted and let you know how it goes!

Take care :blush:

I had my Psych eval last week. I was alittle nervous also but everyone here told me to to worry. They were right. I talked to the Dr for 30 minutes, things like do you know what the shape of your stomach was going to be after the surgery, what were the difference food phases... etc.. just checking to see if i did my research. And what support groups, people , resources I had to help through this life change. I told him all about this website and he said well you have done your research.

Then I took a 379 questions test. Like Tiffykins said would you like to be a florist?" "Is your dad a good man" . Some were really funny and some were really odd.

He called the next day and said I passed. Of course my husband said "how can he say you are sane, he should try living with you for 30 years, but then again after living with me (Husband) who would be sane" LOL

They just want to make sure you know what you are getting yourself into and someone is there to support you or you know were to get it.

My psych eval was also very easy. They want to make sure that you are in a sane frame of mind to choose life-altering surgery. I had to do the fill in the bubble test. They were mundane personality questions but every once in the while there be something strange like "T or F: I am in daily touch with the President." I actually laughed at some of them.

Good luck:)

For me there was no test. I sat down with the psychologist and we talked. I gave her the paper explaining what needed to be in her report to my surgeon and after we talked some she looked back over the surgeon's questions to make sure she had enough information to write her report. I ended up staying with her and attending regular therapy for the rest of my pre-op journey and immediate post-op journey. It was wonderful and I'd love to go back, just need to figure out how to fit it into my schedule. Good luck!