Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So it's been a week since my surgery (It's already Thursday here). I am doing okay. I am on full liquids and still not getting all my Protein down. I am trying my best. The boyfriend is over in the kitchen eating French Fries and a Burger - he's Korean so he has no issues with Metabolism. I know there are some fat Koreans, but the majority are very slim. Anyway, he's eating French Fries and I wonder what could I just take one French Fry, put it in my mouth, chew on it and then spit it out? :biggrin0:

I am sure I am not the first one to think of this. I WON'T do it, but it sounds like a dream come true right now. Do these cravings go away?

Eventually you will be able to eat a french fry...just not a lot of them...and hopefully it will be a rare splurge. This sleeve is not the end of eating "bad" food. It just limits the amount you can eat and the successful weight loss will hopefully remind us all to eat healthy 99% of the time.

I just love that about it. I have planned "treats" for special occasions and I do enjoy them. At Christmas I had a piece of pecan pie...pre surgery I could eat two pieces at one meal...but now it took me three days to eat the whole piece, and I let myself enjoy a few bites after every meal until it was gone. No need for guilt. Just infrequent splurges and small amounts. Life goes on, weight continues to go down. Yippee!

Don't do it sleeve partner! Let's hang in there. I don't know if it the same for you, but it would go downhill for me after that.

You know I had not had a lot of hunger/cravings UNTIL the past two days - I could have eaten a horse the past two days. I am about 3 weeks out, and I think I was dehydrated. Yesterday I drank A LOT of no cal beverages, and today my cravings are sooo much better. It also could just be my "cravy-time."

So it's been a week since my surgery (It's already Thursday here). I am doing okay. I am on full liquids and still not getting all my Protein down. I am trying my best. The boyfriend is over in the kitchen eating French Fries and a Burger - he's Korean so he has no issues with Metabolism. I know there are some fat Koreans, but the majority are very slim. Anyway, he's eating French Fries and I wonder what could I just take one French Fry, put it in my mouth, chew on it and then spit it out? :laugh0:

I am sure I am not the first one to think of this. I WON'T do it, but it sounds like a dream come true right now. Do these cravings go away?

Don't do it! Don't, don't, don't.:scared0: . . it's all in your head, it's your fat devil telling you to do it. . beat it girl! I had head hunger so badly my first and 2nd week out, it's better now. . . i would have loved to eat everything! But i told myself i paid way too much for this surgery to mess up. . . i did it for a reason and that was to get away from the fat demon. . . hopefully you did it for the same reasons. . . don't do it, drink Water and when the cravings come back drink more water! Just don't sabatoge yourself girl! Don't do it. . .

I guess my thoughts are different here than the other posters. I got my sleeve to help me with Portion Control, not as something to deprive me. I agree with Cajun's post, eventually we will be eating the foods we used to eat. To be honest at two weeks out I ate a tater tot from Sonic. I didn't die, nothing burst open, I didn't gain 4 pounds the next day, but it satisfied me and I haven't wanted one since then. The only things that are on my list that I will never be able to have are white breads and rice, and I guess my head is cool with that. But the other nice things in life I will continue to enjoy, just in a greatly reduced quantity. Granted right now with a healing stomach I don't push it.

I say, next time eat the french fry. It has been so processed and cooked to death there isn't much left that could hurt your sleeve. Savor it, remeber that used to have eaten a hundred of them and that didn't work out to well, then move on. And if you are going to eat it, might as well dip in some ketchup to get the full effect, I forgot to dip my tater tot in ketchup:sad0:. Next time I won't make that mistake. Oh yeah, and walk an extra 5 minutes to burn off that french fry.

Bill

I wasn't planning on really "eating" it, since I am still on full liquids. I just wanted to taste it. I am better now, I actually went out to eat with some friends, I didn't eat, I just had some chicken noodle Soup broth. It was great. Not the broth, but being able to go out with my friends.

I'm glad you decided not to eat it. For one reason: You are healing and you don't want to do anything to comprimise your staple line. You can have a couple french fries in a few more weeks. Rooting for ya girl!! :)

I am still pre op, but today I was out all day running around so I bought my kids happy meals. I was passing the nuggets and fries to the back seat and the fries were hot. OMG...I was dying. This is kind of strange, but I licked one of the fries. Ha! It satisfied me at the moment, so it worked. I don't feel guilty either. :lol0:

hehehe . . . you guys are so cute. . . licked one of the fries. . . that is good. . . the week after my surgery i soooo badly wanted vegatables (go figure) that i almost crunched on a green pepper, but then i thought how much pain this little piece of pepper would give me and decided against it. . . now about 4 weeks out my cravings have left and i don't have the head hunger as much anymore either. . . now it's good. . . it'll happen to you soon too. . good luck

I am still pre op, but today I was out all day running around so I bought my kids happy meals. I was passing the nuggets and fries to the back seat and the fries were hot. OMG...I was dying. This is kind of strange, but I licked one of the fries. Ha! It satisfied me at the moment, so it worked. I don't feel guilty either. :lol0:

Thank goodness I'm not the only "odd" one out here! :lol0:

I guess my thoughts are different here than the other posters. I got my sleeve to help me with Portion Control, not as something to deprive me. I agree with Cajun's post, eventually we will be eating the foods we used to eat. To be honest at two weeks out I ate a tater tot from Sonic. I didn't die, nothing burst open, I didn't gain 4 pounds the next day, but it satisfied me and I haven't wanted one since then. The only things that are on my list that I will never be able to have are white breads and rice, and I guess my head is cool with that. But the other nice things in life I will continue to enjoy, just in a greatly reduced quantity. Granted right now with a healing stomach I don't push it.

I say, next time eat the french fry. It has been so processed and cooked to death there isn't much left that could hurt your sleeve. Savor it, remeber that used to have eaten a hundred of them and that didn't work out to well, then move on. And if you are going to eat it, might as well dip in some ketchup to get the full effect, I forgot to dip my tater tot in ketchup:sad0:. Next time I won't make that mistake. Oh yeah, and walk an extra 5 minutes to burn off that french fry.

Bill

The one thing I don't agree with in this post is to eat a fry, at ONE WEEK OUT. It's one thing to eat a fry once you are on solids in accordance with your surgeon's recommended diet advancement. But NOT at one week out...the sleeve staple line is still raw and not at all healed, it is not the time to be irritating it unless you would like to have a leak, and a hundred thousand or more in medical bills etc...

Once you are into a regular diet, if you are in serious need of a fry, go for it, just limit the frequency and amount as much as your willpower will allow you. You'll do fine as long as it is a minimal deviation from your diet. I'd bet there is no one who does the diet perfectly.

I wasn't going to eat it. I was just going to chew on it and then spit it out. I didn't do it, though. I found out my friend, a fitness freak does this with donuts. She chews on them and then spits them out.

I'll try licking it next time....

I had my surgery on the 5th of January 2010 and my cravings post-op got so bad that I actually chewed up a cheese puff then spit it out! It did help, and I didn't go down hill from there, it just satisfied that craving of something tasty, and just to be able to chew on something helped ALOT, even if I did spit it out. I no longer crave any of that stuff and can't wait to eat a salad!! At the time of weakness though I feel like if you don't go for it, it will haunt you...lol! We do all have different cravings and weakness', so it is really up to you on how well you can handle yourself! My pre-op diet was very rough, and now I have 2 weeks thin liquids, 2 weeks regular liquids, then 2 weeks of mushies!! I just needed to taste something other than broth and Protein shakes!!! We will all conquer our head hunger sooner or later, but it is harder for some! Give yourself a break, and if you do splurge just don't lose track of your long term goals!! Best of luck to you!! Your doing great!