Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to this whole world!!! <3

Hello my name is Sarah and this is my very first post, my very first forum really! I have been exploring WLS for some time now, not believing that could ever really be an option to me, I thought it was normal and a part of life to struggle with weight. I was initially researching the band and became very skepticalbecause of all the drawbacks from it. I then learned of the sleeve and here I am

I have struggled with my weight ever since my preteens. During nursing school I managed to get down to my smallest, 160 lbs, but shortly after I had my amazing daughter plus 30 extra pounds. I managed to fluctuate like a yo-yo until I had my son. I have been on diets, with success but not without failure, eventually. I am simply tired of this life, it isn't me, and I am certainly not happy. I use to be a frequent jogger and now I am too tired or my joints hurt. My weight issues wear on me physically and emotionally. Before I would have done this for vanity issues, but now it's for ME and MY health, and my family. I refuse to be the fat mom at school! :smile:

I know there is a better life out there for me, a happier and healthier one. I am scared and reluctant as I should be, but ready. I need support and friends by me on this one! Any words of advice or guidance is much appreciated...I am schedule Feb 18th, the day my whole world will change!

Thanks,

Sarah

Hi Sarah & welcome to VST!

Congratulations on your surgery date and your decision to have WLS. We have similar stories. Two kids and LOTS of initial success with many diets, I ended up nearly 250lb and miserable. I also initially was interested in getting a Lapband, but the complications (both minor and major) made me very uncomfortable with that surgery. I am getting closer to goal every day and LOVE my life with my sleeve. I have very few restrictions on what I can eat, I just can't eat much. It is everything I had hoped for in WLS. Good luck on your journey!

Hi Sarah, and welcome to VST. We're all here for you throughout your journey, and I wish you the very best.

I had the band and it was a nightmare. Luckily, I was able to revise to the sleeve, and I'm living a very normal, healthy life.

If you have any questions, or concerns, feel free to post away. Someone will have an answer for you ! ! !

Welcome Sarah and congratulations on your date! This has been one of the best things I've done for myself...I hope you find it the same. Good luck with your pre-op process and keep us posted.

Awww, thanks everyone for your comments! My husband totally supports me, although he doesn't get why, and he won't because he's never walked in MY shoes. I am miserable, tired and not happy. It seems strange and foreign to think that could ALL change in ONE month. Almost seems surreal....I just really can't imagine what a change this will be for me, I see what it has done for so many, and only hope I can join. Only one of my friends supports me in this decision :( and that makes it a bit hard! I am glad I have you all...out there!!!

Welcome Sarah, you'll love this forum, we're really a neat bunch of folks and are here for you whenever you need us. . . we laugh, cry, and talk together like good friends. . some even met in different places. . . i noticed your in SA as well, me too. . . who is doing your surgery? Mine was Dr. Ramiro "Sonny" Cavazos from NE Baptist. . . chat more soon!

P.S. I'm an RN as well. . . .

Hey there thinoneday, I am not having here in SA, I looked into it and I simply couldn't afford it here. I do a lot of research and will be going to Mexico for my surgery (I will not offer where since there is a lot of scrutiny over some physician's there). But being in the medical field I obviously have a particular level of expectation...everyone does! My BMI is 38 so my insurance technically doesn't offer coverage, either I need to have a heart attack or gain 20 lbs...neither sounds appealing to me :(

How is it going for you? I see you were recently banded, how are you doing? It would be great to stay in touch, especially because we are here together :)

CORRECTION- NOT banded, sleeved =)

I was sleeved on Dec 29th and other then a rough day or two where i was having a pity party with myself, i'm doing very well. . . i was up and about the 2nd day after surgery and walking the halls 12 times back and forth on that day as well. . .the 3rd i was released. . . been doing great ever since, no nausea, sliming episodes, or anything. . . the restriction is weird though and takes getting used to, but i'm slowly learning. . . never eat fast, it feels like you've swallowed a major huge chunk of unchewed tough meat and it's taking it's sweet time going down. . . just chew a lot and take your time also, drink your Water, very important. . . i'd love to keep in touch with you as well. . . chat soon again. . and the best of luck to you. . .

I wish you all the best. Welcome to the sleeve forum. I have really had alot of help, prayers and support from the people on this forum. You are not alone and you are in the right place to find all the answers to any questions you might have. Stay positive and keep looking forward to the new you.