Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tell me about your hospital experience

How long were you in surgery?

Did you have a private room post op?

How many days did you stay?

At the worst point, how would you rate your pain? (o-10 with 0 being the least amt of pain)

What kind of pain killers did they use? Did they work?

What did you do to pass the time? (I don't like to sit for long and I will walk the hospital all day long if they let me)

What did you take for entertainment? Anything?

I am trying to find out if my hospital has DVD players in our rooms. I would love to catch up on some movies and books!

How did you pack and what would you leave at home if you were to do it over again?

If anyone went with Dr Myers in Columbus, Ohio at Riverside hospital I would especially love to hear from you! (But I also want to hear from others about their own experiences) :biggrin0:

How long were you in surgery? 35 minutes!!! :w00t:

Did you have a private room post op? Yep!

How many days did you stay? Just overnight

At the worst point, how would you rate your pain? (o-10 with 0 being the least amt of pain) I would say a 9, but it didn't last very long. It was right after I got to my room from recovery & they said I had to wait before I could have any more painkillers.

What kind of pain killers did they use? Did they work? I had liquid vicodin and also some kind of IV line painkiller. They worked well!

What did you do to pass the time? (I don't like to sit for long and I will walk the hospital all day long if they let me) Slept off and on, watched a lot of tv, I walked quite a bit. I was so irritated when I got out of surgery because they made me wait 4 hours before I could walk. :001_tongue:

What did you take for entertainment? Anything? I took a book and only read about 5 pages.

How did you pack and what would you leave at home if you were to do it over again? I packed chapstick which was a lifesaver. If I did it over, I wouldn't have packed gas-x strips (just because they wouldn't let me use them), deodorant (didn't use it), and I guess that's about it. :biggrin0:

I went to mexico. Here's my answer to your questions:

How long was surgery? About and hour, I had a lot of adhesions.

Private Room? Yes, very nice room

How many days did you stay? 4 days. But I had a special case, I had my lap band removed when I had my VSG, the area where the lap band was removed swoll shut for 3 days. so I was dry heaving that entire time, so they didn't let me go until I could take liquids by mouth.

Pain scale? I didn't notice that much pain because I was dry-heaving for 3 days..lol

What kind of painkillers? Morphine. yes, it worked.

What did you do to pass the time? Mostly walked. I felt like a person in a mental institution, Connected to and IV and a drain, I walked so much, it helped my naseua. I had to sleep upright. There were a couple of US channels, watched a lot of sitcoms. (they actually watched me more than I watched them) I brought a book, but wasn't interested in reading.

What did you pack? what would you leave at home? I would have bought washcloths, maybe some DVD's. I really didn't wanna do anything except leave. I felt crummy, but knew it was necessary in my healing process.

Hope this helped!

How long were you in surgery? a little over an hour I believe

Did you have a private room post op? Oh yes!

How many days did you stay? 4 days

At the worst point, how would you rate your pain? (o-10 with 0 being the least amt of pain) 8, the worst pains were when they took my down for the leak test day 2

What kind of pain killers did they use? morphine and liquid Vicodin Did they work? yeppers!

What did you do to pass the time? (I don't like to sit for long and I will walk the hospital all day long if they let me) I watched TV, sat in the chair (usually on my cell) or when feeling better walked the halls

What did you take for entertainment? I took too much and used nothing....watched hospital TV and texted on my phone

How did you pack and what would you leave at home if you were to do it over again? I thought I only took necessities but I was wrong. Only needed cell phone, deodorant and underwear. Also a big picture of my kids I kept next to TV for encouragement!

PS: My surgery was at Cleveland Clinic

My memory isn't the best, but here's what I think...

How long were you in surgery? between 1-2 hours

Did you have a private room post op? Yes

How many days did you stay? one night, two days (surgery in the morning)

At the worst point, how would you rate your pain? (o-10 with 0 being the least amt of pain) 5/6 after gulping the leak test stuff-that really set me back, I puked for the only time; most of the time 2-4

What kind of pain killers did they use? Did they work? Was on IV pain meds, plus they had inserted a pain ball (morphine I think) catheter

What did you do to pass the time? (I don't like to sit for long and I will walk the hospital all day long if they let me) I walked A LOT, napped, sucked on ice cubes, visited with people, called people

What did you take for entertainment? Anything? I brought my Kindle ebook reader, didn't have the energy or desire to read, turned the tv on sometimes, but didn't really watch anything, mostly dozed or walked and chatted with people (my room was right outside one of the nurses station)

I am trying to find out if my hospital has DVD players in our rooms. I would love to catch up on some movies and books! You could always bring a laptop or portable dvd player

How did you pack and what would you leave at home if you were to do it over again? I brought slippers (yes!), a brush (yes!), toothbrush & paste (no, I used their sponge type brush), Kindle (no), comfy loose fitting dress and underwear/bra to wear home (yes!), chapstick (yes!), lotion (yes!)

How long were you in surgery? About 1 hour ---I was in a pre-op waiting area for around and 2 hours.

Did you have a private room post op? No, I was in a short term area with around 12 beds, separated by curtains

How many days did you stay? just overnight

At the worst point, how would you rate your pain? (o-10 with 0 being the least amt of pain) 10+ the evening of my surgery, by next morning it was a 5

What kind of pain killers did they use? Gave me shots of morphine in my arm...was in heaven! Gravol for my nausea every 4 hours

What did you do to pass the time? moan, sleep, stroll around the room

What did you take for entertainment? brought a book that I never read..had no tv..didn't listen to my ipod..I really wasn't even up for having visitors.. I slept the majority of time.

How did you pack and what would you leave at home if you were to do it over again? I only stayed 1 day..so I didn't need anything except a toothbrush and clothes to wear home, and my cpap..nothing els..

There was a point where I thought 'why did I do this?'..It was worse then childbirth--but after a couple of days I felt great, and I wouldn't ever change a thing!

How long were you in surgery?

I don't know. I was asleep

Did you have a private room post op? Yes

How many days did you stay?

3/ 1/2 counting testing

At the worst point, how would you rate your pain? 0

What kind of pain killers did they use? Did they work?

I didn't use any. I had no pain. I took toradol for a headache

What did you do to pass the time? I walked around outside the hospital, used Dr. Campos' computer and phone and watched tv

How did you pack and what would you leave at home if you were to do it over again?

I packed lightly. I took pjs and a robe and clothes to wear home. I loved being there. I loved everything about the hosptial and the staff and especially dr campos and dr. aceves

??? 5 incisions and no pain??? Wow,, maybe they used some kind of local anesthetic that was time release, because you cut me 5-6 times I am going to be yelling ouch...but I am a guy and we are wimps to pain..

That is good news and I am happy for you, sounds awesome..

How long were y ou in surgery?I was in surgery for 35-45 minutes my family tells me.

Did you have a private room post op? Yes, it had a lounge chair, and my own bathroom. Very modern and up to date and nice!

How many days did you stay? I checked in on a Monday at like 5am and checked out the next day at 5pm.

At the worst point, how would you rate your pain? (o-10 with 0 being the least amt of pain) Worst point 10, but that was RIGHT when I came to and then they started the morphine!

What kind of pain killers did they use? Did they work? Morphine and YES it worked, and I took home Lortab and it was wonderful as well.

What did you do to pass the time? (I don't like to sit for long and I will walk the hospital all day long if they let me) I brought magazines and books and my laptop. Didn't need any of it I was sooooo out of it and tired. I took lots of naps and watched some tv.

What did you take for entertainment? Anything? See above.

How did you pack and what would you leave at home if you were to do it over again? Robe and slippers (to walk post surgery since you need to and they make you!), change of clothes, heating pad, toiletries etc.

Good luck!

How long were you in surgery? 1-2 hours

Did you have a private room post op? yes

How many days did you stay? 2 days

At the worst point, how would you rate your pain? (o-10 with 0 being the least amt of pain) I don't remember being in pain. the drain port was a little sore. I needed to vomit once or twice and I felt I was going to explode the sleeve then the doctor gave me Zofran and it was great relief. I took it only once.

What kind of pain killers did they use? Did they work? I took in hospital Lumetacin IM injection but when I came back home, I did not take any. I was feeling very good. I did not need to take any.

What did you do to pass the time? (I don't like to sit for long and I will walk the hospital all day long if they let me) walking, watching TV, talking to the great nurses.

What did you take for entertainment? Anything? I missed that. I would have taken my laptop.

How long were you in surgery? 1.5 hours

Did you have a private room post op? Nope but I didn't care

How many days did you stay? 3

At the worst point, how would you rate your pain? (o-10 with 0 being the least amt of pain) right out of surgery - 7, esophagus spasms 6

What kind of pain killers did they use? Did they work? I had a morphine pump for the first 24 hours worked like a charm, Lortab (liquid vico) after that worked good, I also got valium for the spasms.

What did you do to pass the time? (I don't like to sit for long and I will walk the hospital all day long if they let me) Watched movies on my itouch, walked, walked, and walked some more.

What did you take for entertainment? Anything? iPod Touch and a book.

I am trying to find out if my hospital has DVD players in our rooms. I would love to catch up on some movies and books!

How did you pack and what would you leave at home if you were to do it over again? I would leave my fear at home. It was the best thing I ever did. Don't forget chapstick. My lips were so dry.