Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Horrible Experience...anyone else?

Ok Tiffykins and anyone else, sounds like it gets back to really craving food again, and tempted to overeat. So when you know you can't without suffering some unpleasant consequences, do you wish you had not been sleeved?

I don't necessarily have any cravings because I eat whatever I want. I haven't eaten anything that gives me any ill side effects either. I don't overeat, drink large amounts while eating, and do not eat things that I know will make me uncomfortable (like really thick biscuits). I just know that food tastes normal again. I still have to remind myself to eat because I still have zero hunger.

My entire relationship with food has changed. I don't stand in front of the snack bowl, or fridge pondering on what I can put in my mouth.

I have absolutely zero regrets. I don't miss food. On Thanksgiving, I had a fleeting moment of "buyer's remorse", but it soon faded when I realized that I was completely satisfied, and if I really wanted to, I could have some leftovers a few hours later. I don't know if I ever truly mourned the loss of food, but I did mourn that I lost the solid comforter I had in my life. Food was comfort, during my recovery, my husband was deployed, now that part sucked. I wanted to be held, and loved, and wanted to feel safe and warm, food would of done that in the past, but I wasn't able to eat much.

Linda and Tiffykins, Thank you both very much,, back to feeling good about it again,, was getting a little depressed.. lol..

Tiffykins, We really appreciate the sacrifices you and your hubby make for this country. It would be tough to have a spouse away like that.

My son got back from Afghanistan Christmas morning. He is in the 10th Mountain out of New York. Saw a lot of action, was on the front lines a couple miles from Pakistan. He still maintains a good attitude, and prays for piece for the Afghan people. He says he has never seen so much poverty. Things we take for granite they can't imagine.

This board is great, I think I am beginning to see what it will really be like. Even with all the problems reported, no one has said they regretted getting sleeved.

Ok Tiffykins and anyone else, sounds like it gets back to really craving food again, and tempted to overeat. So when you know you can't without suffering some unpleasant consequences, do you wish you had not been sleeved?

Today when out with family, they stopped at Burger King and I ordered 6 chicken fries. As I was sitting there getting full off of the second one, I looked over at my sister eating a cheese burger and started thinking how good it must taste (remembering the cheeseburgers of my past) and feeling a little sad that I couldn't have it (it just fills me up too much so I only ever eat pieces of the meat). BUT I still would rather be sleeved than have that cheeseburger...it was just a passing thought of sadness and I thought to my self that old saying "nothing tastes as good as thin [and healthy] feels." STILL NO REGRETS!

I had a similar experience for the first time the other night. I ate some chicken noodle Soup in a REGULAR bowl (mistake #1) instead of my little dip bowls I normally eat in...and mistake #2 not paying attention. By the time I felt full and put it down I knew I'd overdone it...lemme tell you, a heart attack, weakness,soaked with sweat, felt like I had to faint....I had about 4-5 spasms in about 30 minutes...(I don't have a gall bladder either, so I knew I'd just overdone it) and I did nothing but dry heave. what was weird was that is when I had my lap band and got 'sick' I knew it was coming...but I could NOT vomit! what gives here? could it have slid through so soon?? all I know is it was pain that radiated from my chest through my right side and back....I felt like I couldn't breath...AWFUL...I'm pretty sure that will be enough to teach me a lesson!

Hey Everyone...just wanted to give you all an update...had emergency GALLBLADDER surgery this past Wednesday:blushing:...All is well.

Remember to check with your doctors...love this discussion board; however, forgot to discuss this issue with my doctor because it only happened once or twice...LOL...my poor staff at work had to drive me to the emergency room on Tuesday and Wednesday had surgery, Thursday went back in because there was "something" in my bile duct. All went well...I go for a follow-up next week and will ask if there was anything I could have done differently...

During my hospital stay this time I had some of the same nurses that I had for my surgery and many of them remembered me and were so sweet;-)...it's amazing what people remember:001_wub:

by the way...HAPPY VALENTINES DAY FOLKS!

When I was a few weeks out, I took some Tylenol 4's that made me sick. It was the most horrible pain I think I've ever felt...dry heaved for 20 minutes..my stomach was in spasms, it felt like a razor was cutting through my chest as I heaved. I really thought I was having a heart attack. Cold sweats/clammy hands...I hope to NEVER experience that again. Afterwards I was so weak and drained!!

Ok, I'm freaking out! I'm about 1 week post op and i'm experiencing these weird stomach pains that come and go! Feels like small contractions! I've been doing pretty well on the liquid diet, but tonight I had a small amount of yogurt mixed with my medications (yuck) right before bedtime and then a little while after that the pains started! Has this happened to anyone else? Help! Was the yogurt maybe too thick?

He suryfrer,

Don't freak out. You are only a week out and your tummy is completely changed. Mine gurgled.. bubbled.. and did crazy things too. I would call your surgeon to describe the contraction like pain for reassurance from them that it's ok but as far as what you are eating some people don't even attempt yogurt that early. It sounds like you may want to make it thinner or stay on liquids. I remember being where you are and a week out I was feeling lost and unsure of my choice. It changes very fast. I am 13 weeks post op and can eat almost anything, just a very small amount. My tummy only disagrees with me if I eat too fast and then it's more of a full feeling up high. I still eat softer type of foods.. like if I cook chicken and it's too tough.. not fun to eat but if it's nice and juicy.. much better but no matter what there are reasons you did this surgery and the rewards are coming for you. I am down 66 lbs and amazed at how different life is becoming for me. I can't wait for you to get about a month out of surgery and start to eat more food and start seeing the world a new way.

Never freak out.. your tummy will do crazy things at first but always call your doctor or surgeon, reassurance helps to ease our minds and be happy with where we are going. :lol0:

~Chandra/shutterbug

Sorry to hear about your episode. . but glad you got rid of that monkey and am really glad you are doing well. . . we are here for you whenever you need us. . . good luck with a speedy recovery!

Shutterbug and Thinoneday:

Thank you so much for your messages! I was really scared last night! Thought of ripping my sleeve were going through my head! Needless to say, I didn't fall asleep till about 2 am! The episodes went away, but I really do think it was the yogurt that was too thick and too late! I did call my doctor's office today and the nurse confirmed it was most likely that. She said I could have yogurt, however to make sure I dilute it with Water and make sure it's not that cold so that my stomach doesn't have any spasms. This morning I have that "full" feeling, I couldn't even finish my 4 oz Protein shake! Now I know I learned my lesson. And I'm so anxious to be over these "healing" days!!

Thanks again for your quick responses!!

Sury

Shutterbug and Thinoneday:

Thank you so much for your messages! I was really scared last night! Thought of ripping my sleeve were going through my head! Needless to say, I didn't fall asleep till about 2 am! The episodes went away, but I really do think it was the yogurt that was too thick and too late! I did call my doctor's office today and the nurse confirmed it was most likely that. She said I could have yogurt, however to make sure I dilute it with Water and make sure it's not that cold so that my stomach doesn't have any spasms. This morning I have that "full" feeling, I couldn't even finish my 4 oz Protein shake! Now I know I learned my lesson. And I'm so anxious to be over these "healing" days!!

Thanks again for your quick responses!!

Sury

At 5 months out I'm still learning! I ate a few bites of a pork chop some of the meat was dry and so I thought I chewed it well enough. It got stuck and I was at my mother's house and just stood up and started to raise my arms up and down and walk..then I asked my mom to tap on my back (like a baby being burped)...after around 15 maybe 20 minutes I felt better and it went down. One thing I can tell you so early out is to really take it slow. I don't think anyone was as anxious as I was and I am learning as I go what my limitations are. I wish you peace of mind hereafter as you progress in your weight loss journey with the sleeve. Best-Lis