Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Horrible Experience...anyone else?

I'm 4 months out and last night had to be one of the scariest nights. Went to a friends for dinner...ate a bit to much (Pasta and scallops) very very small portion; :confused1:however, my stomach started hurting so bad I couldn't stay still, couldn't throw up...was in tears...it really ached and hurt for about 20 minutes...

I'm assuming I ate to much; however, I have never had such pain and emotion...

Caro

I experienced the same thing right after my husband got home from deployment. I had not overeaten as I'm pretty strict with my portion size, and had learned to eyeball everything that went into my mouth. The pain had me doubled over, crying, I tried walking, I tried lying down, nothing would ease it. I had my husband ready to rush me to the ER, but convinced him it would pass. About 20 minutes later, it indeed did pass. I'll tell ya that it left me completely exhausted mentally and physically.

I was about 4-4.5 months out when this happened to me as well. Luckily, it's never happened again.

Thanks Tiff...I was freaking out because I hadn't read anything like that....Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas to you as well. I kind of thought maybe it was a gall bladder attack. Just because it wasn't directly under my sternum where my actual stomach is sitting. It was a bit to the left close to my ribs.

It is super scary. I remember I got that clammy, hot/cold feeling as well.

It is a very uncomfortable feeling when you overeat. It's a feeling like you are going to explode. I hate that and I don't do it anymore.

Ugh - I haven't had pain (yet...) and am pretty good with my portion sizes, but a couple of times I've eaten too much of something or too fast and felt so horribly sick for the same 20 minutes that I never eat that food again. I actually tried to brainwash myself yesterday and while I was feeling sick I repeatedly imagined all kinds of stuff I would like never to want to eat again (cookies, cakes, chocolates, pie) over and over again in the hope that my brain would make the connection cookie=nausea, pie=nausea etc.

hello ,

I did a diet b4 called Dr, Bernstein diet and I lost all the weight I needed to lose in 3 months(around 100 lbs) , I was so happy , and after three months, I tried to reward my self with a bit of chocolate and BOOM, horrible pain , around my stomach and chest , i had to call 911. and was rushed to the hospital , they thought it was bad acid reflux after they checked my heart and it was good. after all I had those attacks few times b4 they discovered that It was my goal bladder. My dr told me that it is very common when u lose weight fast. i removed my gall bladder and the painwas gone, but I went back to my eating habbits and gained all the weight back. I suggest u check ur gallbladder for gall stones,

My dr who did the surgery for me (sleeve one) asked me if I have a gall bladder , I told him that I have removed it and he said, good as I was about to suggest I remove it while doing the sleeve as the probability of gallstones is sooo high

good luck dear

Stomach spasm is common; probably all of us had it every now and then. Basically, when the stomach was stappled,part removed and a small part remains. The continuity and integrity of the wall muscles are disrupted and of course, it is not a normal stomach that can handle and move the food like before. So, with overeating, or more commonly with rapid swallowing, or inadequate crunching of food, or pouring Water ( or juice) along the food, can trigger that sense of spasm that lasts for 15-20 minutes. It is best to avoid it to start with. Have adequate fluids (soup or water or juice) before the meal. Then eat slowly and stop sensibly. If it happens, just stay still, little movement or certain posture sometimes eases relaxation or eructation that usually relieved the bad feeling. Try the smell of mint or other aromatic plant, it might help.

I'm 4 months out and last night had to be one of the scariest nights. Went to a friends for dinner...ate a bit to much (Pasta and scallops) very very small portion; :confused1:however, my stomach started hurting so bad I couldn't stay still, couldn't throw up...was in tears...it really ached and hurt for about 20 minutes...

I'm assuming I ate to much; however, I have never had such pain and emotion...

Caro

Never did have anything like that...it must have been a really scary experience.

Do you guys remember how much you ate approximately when you had this attack about 4mths out.. "Tiffykins and Caro"?? Would be a good heads up for us to have an idea of how far you pushed that this happened...

we were eating small scallops (about the size of a dime) and I had about 8-10 with about 5 strands of spagetti...

drmedhat...thank you so much for sharing your info...makes more sense...when you put the word "spasm" to the pain...thanks!

Edited by Caro

I was still eating right around 3-4oz total. I hadn't eaten in a couple of hours when it happened so I honestly believe it was not really stomach cramping due to overeating.

Could it of been some of nerves or something in my stomach, I guess it could of been, but I don't believe it had anything to do with food I had ingested.

I've used a medicine cup like they use for children's OTC medication to measure my food intake until I could get the size down in my head. I do not weigh my food because it's about volume not weight. I have only overeaten a couple of times, and I immediately regurge a portion of it. I overdid it one night with mexican food. I ate my normal portion of fajita meat with sour cream/salsa/guacamole, and decided to tempt fate and took a bite of a flour tortilla. Yep, it came back up, no pain, no sliming. I knew it was going to happen. It's not a normal "vomitting" episode. It's like a slow creeper piece of food coming up my esophagus. Once the little bite of tortilla was out, everything was fine.

I've recently experienced a pain right in the middle of my chest during eating not once but twice! It was horrible and my esophagus felt like it was going to rupture the pain was hard like something was pushing up against the walls. I stood up and moved around and the pain subsided but while it was there I couldn't even take a deep breath without feeling the pressure and pain. Anyone experience that before?

Ok Tiffykins and anyone else, sounds like it gets back to really craving food again, and tempted to overeat. So when you know you can't without suffering some unpleasant consequences, do you wish you had not been sleeved?

No - never have regretted it. For me it's not so much a craving rather it just tastes so darn good and you want that extra bite. I seem to do better when I really take smaller bites (let's me enjoy the taste of my food for longer) and STOP eating when my stomach gives me the signal. I only have problems when I ignore my stomach. Then I sit in pain for 20 minutes, maybe burp once or twice (helps make room) and then I feel better. I have never thrown up, just have that "OMG I can't believe at ate so much" feeling with some pain right under the sternum. My husband is getting pretty good at reading my expressions. He can tell when I am getting full and offers to help me finish what's on my plate and therefore keeping me from over doing it. But regret the sleeve....NEVER. Just regret taking the last bite.