Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PPI Meds and side effects?

I am hoping I can get some clarification about post surgery antacid administration. When I left the hospital my surgeon wrote a few scripts for me to have filled and told me to use Pepcid AC daily or as needed. I just went ahead and took the pepcid however the first time I got a taste of reflux, clearly the pepcid ac was not enough. At my next follow up visit I asked my surgeon if he would give me multiple prescriptions for different brand PPIs. I filled the prilosec and took one to two a day depending on need and found that I had an awful dryness of mouth, and tongue during sleeping hours. I contacted the doc and asked him if it was necessary for me to take a PPI daily and he said no, unless I was experiencing acid reflux. The acid reflux has (thus far) subsided and I have not been taking any PPI medication at all. Because so many here have been told by their surgeons to take this type medication some for 3 months, some even 6 I am beginning to wonder if I am putting myself at risk of getting ulcers. I also have scripts for protonix, nexium (both in generic form). I already have some weird sort of drip in my throat that I can't get to, (can't blow it out of nose nor loosen with gargle to spit or swallow). When I take the generic Klonopin (anti anxiety) I get "hyper-salivation" as a side effect...and I gag and dry-heave when brushing my teeth. Besides knowing if it is absolutely necessary to take a PPI daily, I'd really appreciate knowing from those of you who do take daily any one of these, if you suffer any sort of side effects. In other words I'm trying to assess which PPI would be best for me to take. I greatly appreciate your input. Thanks.

I do experience dry mouth, but for me it's tolerable and resolved quickly with a swig of Water in the morning. I take 1 Prilosec 20mg once daily. It's necessary to take any PPI at least 1 hour before eating from my research. I haven't had any acid issues lately, but did early on. I can technically start weaning myself off of them, but I probably won't until after the new year. I will start by taking 1 capsule every other day instead of daily and go from there.

Most PPI, will prevent acid from forming. Most of the over-the-counter acid reducers, Tums, Rolaids, Pepcid, and Zantac start working once acid is already formed and causing issues.

I have zero experience with Protonix and/or Nexium.

I take the generic of Protonix. I have absolutely no side effects what so ever.

I have tried not to take it. I don't get heartburn, but I get a stomach ache. I see no reason to stop it. I may try again later on down the road try to stop taking it, just to see if I still need it. I should add that my regular doctor wants me on it, not Dr. Aceves who did my surgery. I am going to ask my surgeon who removed my gall bladder about this. He is also the doctor who did my band surgery and I adore him. It certainly was not his fault that bands suck.

I was taking Nexium before surgery and when I ran out asked my PCP for a script; unfortunately, my insurance won't cover it, so he gave me Prilosec - I didn't notice any issues with Nexium; however, I do notice with the Prilosec I have a dry mouth; however, like Tiff, it is remedied by drinking something when I first get up. Bearded takes OTC Prilosec and hasn't commented about any issues whatsoever. It's less expensive for me to get the RX for only $10 than it is to buy the OTC.

I take the generic of Protonix. I have absolutely no side effects what so ever.

I have tried not to take it. I don't get heartburn, but I get a stomach ache. I see no reason to stop it. I may try again later on down the road try to stop taking it, just to see if I still need it. I should add that my regular doctor wants me on it, not Dr. Aceves who did my surgery. I am going to ask my surgeon who removed my gall bladder about this. He is also the doctor who did my band surgery and I adore him. It certainly was not his fault that bands suck.

Thanks Daisy, please let me know what the surgeon who removed your gall bladder has to say. I had my gall bladder out years ago, at 21 years old, 6 months after giving birth. Thanks again.

I was taking Nexium before surgery and when I ran out asked my PCP for a script; unfortunately, my insurance won't cover it, so he gave me Prilosec - I didn't notice any issues with Nexium; however, I do notice with the Prilosec I have a dry mouth; however, like Tiff, it is remedied by drinking something when I first get up. Bearded takes OTC Prilosec and hasn't commented about any issues whatsoever. It's less expensive for me to get the RX for only $10 than it is to buy the OTC.

Thanks VegasAngel, I have a script for Nexium but I figured it would come in a generic...if it doesn't I don't think my insurance will cover it either. I have the generic form of Protonix and the generic for prilosec. I haven't tried the Protonix yet but gave up taking the prilosec due to a really dried out mouth and tongue middle of the night issue. Now I'm not taking anything but haven't had any reflux issues...just concerned about ulcer prevention.

Hi, I am on Lansoprazole and I am slowly weaning myself off it, down from 30mg/day to 15mg/every other day. At the beginning I spent about a month with a permanently dry mouth. It was driving me nuts. Eventually my body adjusted to the meds and it went away. So if you need the PPI, and you will know soon enough by the pain if you do, please don't give up on it.

Cheers,

Jane

Hey gals, could some one tell me something here please, I heard that if you already have your gallbladder out that the surgery will be more complicated than if it was still intact. . . is that true???? I find that kinda hard to believe.

I'm on Lansoprazole, same as Jane, and have no problems with it. If I don't take it I know about it and have indigestion. I have no plans to stop taking it as it protects my stomach.

Hey gals, could some one tell me something here please, I heard that if you already have your gallbladder out that the surgery will be more complicated than if it was still intact. . . is that true???? I find that kinda hard to believe.

Hmmmmmmmmmm, I've never heard that tidbit from anyone.

I imagine that it would be a good thing since one of the things my surgeon always checks out is my gall bladder since I still have it. He's always freaked out that I'm going to have issues with it since I've lost so much, so fast.

Interesting, I still take the over-the-counter Prilosec. If I miss just one day, I have major acid issues. I have tried just about everything else, and the Prilosec is the only thing that worked for me. I used to wake up with major dry mouth and tongue at night. I never attributed it to the Prilosec. I thought it was my bodies way of telling me I wasn't hydrated enough. So, I made sure to increase my Water intake, especially in the evenings and the dry mouth and tongue problem went away for me.

I am seeing my surgeon on Friday. I have no gallbladder since 21 years old. I will ask him if not having a gall bladder made the surgery more difficult. My surgery, BTW, took 3.5 hours but he said that he had to navigate around alot of scar tissue due to previous surgeries...hmmm maybe that it! The scar tissue??

Oh my God! I am so glad someone brought this up!!! So, I've been taking prilosec...

1) I have the WORST dry mouth that I have ever experienced. When I wake up in the morning it is as though my tongue is stuck to the roof of my mouth..its THAT bad. AND, its only at night...WHY!??! I wasnt sure if it was the drug or my body acting funny to the reduced amount of eating...

2) I have had the worst back pain too. It started right after surgery and just never went away. I stopped taking the Prilosec and the pain went away...however NOW i have acid reflux again (i had it really bad before the surgery!) so i've started taking the prilosec again.

Has anyone noticed these things?! When I asked my surgeon he sounded as though he has no idea what I was talking about...and kind of dismissed it. He is a great guy...but its not fun to have to wake up at 5am everyday to sip Water to get my mouth working...its awful!

okay, I'm done...now someone tell me what to do to make it go away :thumbup:

Oh my God! I am so glad someone brought this up!!! So, I've been taking prilosec...

1) I have the WORST dry mouth that I have ever experienced. When I wake up in the morning it is as though my tongue is stuck to the roof of my mouth..its THAT bad. AND, its only at night...WHY!??! I wasnt sure if it was the drug or my body acting funny to the reduced amount of eating...

2) I have had the worst back pain too. It started right after surgery and just never went away. I stopped taking the Prilosec and the pain went away...however NOW i have acid reflux again (i had it really bad before the surgery!) so i've started taking the prilosec again.

Has anyone noticed these things?! When I asked my surgeon he sounded as though he has no idea what I was talking about...and kind of dismissed it. He is a great guy...but its not fun to have to wake up at 5am everyday to sip Water to get my mouth working...its awful!

okay, I'm done...now someone tell me what to do to make it go away :biggrin0:

When I have back pain between my shoulder blades or just a bit lower, it is a sign to me that my reflux is worsening. It is important that you take care of it right away.

If the Prilosec isn't working for you please let your Surgeon know. I had to go through several different PPI's before I found the one that worked best. When you do change meds, don't do the 3 month fill if that is an option for you. Just do the 1 month fill until you know if the new medication will work for you.

I ended up tolerating Prevacid solutabs extremely well so you may want to try this. It has an added benefit in that it is disolved in your mouth so you don't have a big pill/capsule to try to deal with. I haven't found that it drys my mouth out at all.

For the occassional breakthrough reflux, I take Gaviscon. It kind of bubbles back up and adds further protection. The Prilosec is pretty good though in preventing any reflux at all.