Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

10 Days Post Op

I am 10 days Post Op. I have lost 18 pounds. I was told to continue on thickened liquids and Protein Drinks. I cannot drink the Protein drinks and dont like any of the thickened liquids...Can anyone give me some advice.

Thanks

Monica ;)

I used Isopure by crushing ice and adding crystal light packet and watering it down to taste. I did not give myself the option to jump to soft foods as I did not want to overstress my stomach. I took each day an hour at a time and what kept me honest wa knowing that in 31 days I would be on regular food. I looked at each step as retraining myself to eat in normal portions and I will be allowed to eat regular food in four days. You can do it.

chicken broth with one small spoon of mashed potato mixed in. beef broth was my best friend at times. herbal teas.

But,

You HAVE to find some Protein you like. HAVE to. I like liquid EAS myoplex (chocolate) Cannot drink the power mixes any more. I will try them again in a month. GNC has all kinds of Protein Drink stuff, try liquid ones.

I am 10 days Post Op. I have lost 18 pounds. I was told to continue on thickened liquids and Protein drinks. I cannot drink the Protein drinks and dont like any of the thickened liquids...Can anyone give me some advice.

Thanks

Monica ;)

Most of the protein drinks taste horrible or leave a bad aftertaste. But I did find one that I like. Jay Robb whey chocolate Protein powder, one packet or scoop in 8 ounces of lactaid milk, and I add a splash of banana extract. It tastes just like a chocolate shake to me. GNC carries it. 33 gms protein per shake when mixed with the milk.

I had a lot of difficulty getting in my Protein during my first month post-op. The first one I found that I could stomach (actually it upset my stomach, but I liked the taste) was Chike Orange/Cream (something like that). At first I actually added in a half cup of no sugar added vanilla ice cream and sugar free orange and vanilla syrup...it tasted like a cream cycle. At some point in my second month (I think) I found Inspire Sangria over at bariatriceating.com. I have found that I can sip it on my 45 min-1 hour commute to work.

Good luck! I remember that time as just trying to do my best, it did get much better and although I'm not perfect now at 4 months out, I do a lot better.

I am 10 days Post Op. I have lost 18 pounds. I was told to continue on thickened liquids and Protein drinks. I cannot drink the protein drinks and dont like any of the thickened liquids...Can anyone give me some advice.

Thanks

Monica :scared0:

Monica - welcome to VST and congrats on your surgery. I was not able to tolerate any of the protein drinks after surgery - I would literally gag on them -- I tured to get in as much protein as I could during the liquid phase; however, I focused more on staying hydrated -- there is egg drop Soup, you can buy unflavored Protein Powder and add it to Soups, I've heard Unjury chicken broth tastes good too.

I have now found one protein drink I can tolerate called "Oh Yeah" - it's lactose free and the Cookies and cream flavor is tolerable.

Hang in there, it will get easier.

I will be glad to be 10 days post op.... Wed is my day. Pray for me that i will stay hydrated... MN Mary

I am 10 days Post Op. I have lost 18 pounds. I was told to continue on thickened liquids and Protein drinks. I cannot drink the Protein drinks and dont like any of the thickened liquids...Can anyone give me some advice.

Thanks

Monica ;)

I use the carnation instant Breakfast sugar free. I add 1/3 c of dry milk to increase the protein. This gives me 21 grams of protein. I also heat it and it take like hot chocolate. I also have added the Torina sugar free syrups, I currently have raspberry, carmel and for the holiday-gingerbread. You can also add the dry milk to chicken broth to add protein also.

+1 for the Premier drinks from costco. The thought of Protein shakes makes me gag mentally but you gotta do it.

Postop, I didn't worry about Protein immediately, just getting enough to stay hydrated. Ate a lot of strained Soups, runny yoghurt, cup a Soup with hot Water just for flavor. I'm not sure how you can say you don't like any thickened liquid -there are so many!