Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Guys,

I'm mentally preparing for becoming a post op VSG. Wondering about foods after recovering from surgery.

I'm a picky eater and pretty much a meat and potatos kind of guy. Never big on veggies. When looking at the recipes forum on this site I see things for squash, quiche, tuna and other related chick foods. I know I won't be able to eat much. But what about hamburger, fried chicken, BBQ, etc. Small amounts possible? Unless my taste buds change drastically (which I have read on here sometimes happens) I will be in for more than a food quantity shock. It will be a major food quality shock.

I know the 'man foods' I'm talking about are not great for you. But when I can only eat a 1/2 cup then it does not seem like it will really matter. Not when I'm used to eating massive man portions:001_tongue:

What has been your experience?

Ha........ I thought this was kinda funny for my situation, since thats what I really liked to eat PRE-sleeve....... MAN food ( as you referred to it ) lol

I was a meat and tators kinda gal- LARGE quantities...But since my sleeve- my thinking has changed, I'm 9 months out and can just about eat anything,.. but I don't even want a steak. Have had one, maybe two- but not much of it.

My taste has changed along with my thinking.

It's a conscience decision every day. You really don't want to go back to bad habits after going thru this do you?

I have had chicken wings, don't even want a burger-havn't had one, BBQ made me ill- and I have had fried chicken, but prefer grilled.

You'll be quite surprised at the difference this surgery does to your eating... especially since like me- you said you were a volume eater

Really, it does not matter what you eat. You won't be able to eat much of it, so eat what you want to eat.

I can eat part of a McDonalds cheeseburger. That's a little one, not a Big Mac. I just had a soft taco from taco bell. I could eat the whole thing. I used to eat a lot of fast food, but I don't anymore. I still eat out a lot, but I am pretty limited to what I order, cause I know I am going to take 3/4 of it home.

You are worried about nothing. Really, the sleeve will "tell" you what to eat and how much. I am/was a big steak eater Hubby to. Now not so much. Haven't had a steak yet nor a craving for one. Poor Hubby, nah, he still gets his steaks at lunch. He eats with the guys, so I do not have to feel gulity not making the huge dinners anymore. He is liking eating lite at night. He is sleeping better. Mind you he does not need to loose an ounce.

So, do not worry about the food. 2 Months post op you will be bringing in the foods you like a little at a time. Have patience, and when you get all frustrated,, go for a walk.

Longhorn -

I've tried to eat a hamburger a few times when we've had the family over for a cookout and haven't had very good luck getting it down - maybe 1/2 if I'm lucky. It's so dense that it doesn't take much to fill me up. I prefer ground beef with taco seasoning or manwich ... last night for dinner we had a small baked potato with manwich on it (as I don't eat bread and Bearded tries to limit his intake) - it was quite taste and because it wasn't so dense, it went down easier.

I haven't tried BBQ and never really cared for fried chicken, so can't help you out there.

It will be a matter of trial by error once you get off liquids and onto solid foods.

I am sure you'll be able to have some "MAN Foods" but you might find you're just as happy with "CHICK" foods too.

Ha ha, I loved your post. I prefer "man food" too. Trust me, a quiche and squash have never passed my lips! I grew up in a family that owned a very nice steak house, so I am used to living on steak. I still eat it frequently and enjoy it, just not in the large quantities that I used to. As for burgers, we do grill them about once a week. But, I don't eat the bun, it just fills me up to quickly. We don't fry anything, and never have. We grill 90% of our meals and love it.

Thanks ladies! Not too many men on here, huh.

Sounds like there may be some hope for some of the foods I am used to eating. Other foods maybe not so much. Just don't want to be on a hunting trip and suddenly start talking to my buddies about the delicious quiche and squash casserole I enjoyed the night before. Then I'd have to hand in my man card. Although if I can hand in my fat card along with it maybe even that is okay. :party4:

Ahhh, yes, only being able to eat filet mignon must be awful, lol!

Have no fear. As everyone said your stomach will tell you what you can have. I eat barbecue, Jr. Whoppers, steak and after 2 years and 8 months I can eat a whole sandwhich. I also love sweets so I have had my share of Oreo's, maybe three and a tiny glass of milk but after that you feel like you ate half the bag and your stomach and brain don't know any better.

OMG....... don't turn in your "man card"

There was a book out about 20 years ago ( gezzzzzzzeeeeee.. showing my age)

"Real men don't eat Quiche"-but ya know what? They do!!! LOL

( It REALLY is good )

Just don't think it would be the thing to take on a hunting trip tho.

Belive me when I tell ya- I liked the "man food" all too well........ ( just look at my before pic) but your new stomach will let you know how much of it you can have.

But- with anything- this surgery is a "tool"- and yes... you can gain weight with any weightloss surgery... so it is a decision you have to make how much to eat etc.

G'luck to you!!!

I love steak. I have no trouble at

all eating it. I eat enough of it

to be completely satisfied. Yum Yum!

OMG!!!! I can't wait til I get to the point where I can put a Steak in ( I don't care if it is only a couple forkful's).

Well, I'm not expecting to eat that type of food on day 3 of post op. Just want to know that after a few months I'll be able to eat what is 'normal' food for me. Hummis is not my idea of real food. Heck, I'm not even sure what that is.

It's all about ground beef, steak, potatos, BBQ, fried chicken, lasagna, mexican food, etc. That's what I'm talking about. Although in unimaginable small quantities post sleeve. I live in Texas. Cow is king and usually in the form of BBQ or mexican food.

Quiche and hummis, chased down with a side of squash is hard for me to get my head around. Scary,