Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It's all about ground beef, steak, potatos, BBQ, fried chicken, lasagna, mexican food, etc. That's what I'm talking about. Although in unimaginable small quantities post sleeve. I live in Texas. Cow is king and usually in the form of BBQ or mexican food.< /strong>

You'll be able to eat those things, but you will not be able to eat very much of it. If you eat the meat, you will definitely not be able to eat much potato, or side dishes.

Do you know what size sleeve your surgeon makes? Some do make bigger ones, and people say they can eat a lot more.

I don't yet know what size sleeve. Will find out during my last pre-op visit next week. But I don't want to get a 'bigger' sleeve just so I can eat more. That pretty much defeats the whole purpose of this. I'm okay with the small quantities as long as I can still eat the foods I enjoy today. My pig out days will be long gone. I may miss that some, but overall I realize not being able to pig out will be a very good thing for me.

Thanks for the reassurance that foods I like today will still be options for me tomorrow.

Longhorn-

I just got to comment, you may not WANT to eat the things you did in the past.

I LOVED a good double ( greasy) cheeseburger in the past, a good ribeye- but today- they don;'t even interrest me.

I think thats one of the strangest things I have found with this surgery- I don;t think the way I use to about food, It's more to live than live to eat.

I was told that my hunger would come back, but 10 months out... it hasn't. Even my "head hunger" has subsided.

Just take it one day at a time, stick with the rules, and you will be pleasantly surprised!!

g'luck to you!!

Steak, chicken, Pork - it's all good. With my sleeve, I could do without the potato - except for maybe a bite or two - just for the taste, but they fill me up so quickly. Same thing for hamburgers. When we go out for burgers, I usually order the sliders (or similar mini burgers) and share them with my two boys. I usually eat just one, take a bite or two of the whole thing (bun, toppings, etc) for the "experience" and then pick everything off and just eat the meat and cheese and maybe a french fry or two. I am completely satisfied because I got to eat what I wanted - just the quantities are cut WAY back.

Ladies,

Thanks for the repllies. Now that I'm two weeks post op it's hard for me to imagine ever being able to eat man food again. I'm clinging to your experience further out. It offers hope that I will be able to eat real stuff again.

More than anything I realize just how little I can eat. I read about tiny bites and small portions. But holy cow. Small portions indeed. dinner is done before it ever started. 3, maybe 4 tiny bites, and I can go no futher.

There is alot of worry on here about the sleeve stretching. I'm actually hoping mine does stretch a little bit. I want to keep portions small but come on. Right now thinking I could ever eat a 1/2 sandwich seems impossible. Much less actually eating a little BBQ, hamburger, or fried chicken.

Everything is different now. I know that is good. The actual operation and recovery has gone well and been very easy for me. But the loss of any meal time is something I'm struggling with. It's not that I'm hungry. But I just would like to eat a little more than what I'm capable of. Maybe it will never be that way again.

Ladies,

Thanks for the repllies. Now that I'm two weeks post op it's hard for me to imagine ever being able to eat man food again. I'm clinging to your experience further out. It offers hope that I will be able to eat real stuff again.

More than anything I realize just how little I can eat. I read about tiny bites and small portions. But holy cow. Small portions indeed. dinner is done before it ever started. 3, maybe 4 tiny bites, and I can go no futher.

There is alot of worry on here about the sleeve stretching. I'm actually hoping mine does stretch a little bit. I want to keep portions small but come on. Right now thinking I could ever eat a 1/2 sandwich seems impossible. Much less actually eating a little BBQ, hamburger, or fried chicken.

Everything is different now. I know that is good. The actual operation and recovery has gone well and been very easy for me. But the loss of any meal time is something I'm struggling with. It's not that I'm hungry. But I just would like to eat a little more than what I'm capable of. Maybe it will never be that way again.

I promise it gets so much better. I remember thinking the same thing early out. I was like " this is NOT normal person portions ", but now, I can eat a variety of food. I am glad to hear that your recovery is going well. Remember this part is just temporary, the rewards last a lifetime.

In due time, you'll be able to eat all of those items you listed. I promise :thumbup1:

Longhorn -

It does get better as your stomach heals and you get back to solid food. For example, I at 2 oz of pork, some salad and a few bites of augratin potatoes for dinner tonight. Definitely more than 4-5 bites. Totally satisfied. Hang in there.

longhorn, you just barely had surgery! You'll be able to eat more so don't worry. At one month out, I was barely off the liquid diet.

Honestly, in two weeks I will be 9 months away from surgery, and I am totally satisfied with the amount of meat I can eat. You just have to cut the pieces up tiny and make sure you chew it all up very well.

Yep- agreeing with the others.......

It DOES get better...... in the beginning tho, the head hunger and just the "want to chew and EAT" is a bit of a struggle.

Face it......... we base our lives around food.........

And we all have to learn how to deal with it.

I went to lunch with one of the girls I work with....

we went to a mexican buffet...........

I piled my plate with all kinds of things. I still have at times the "yes I want this.. and that and some of this........." and forget I am sleeved.

I could barely eat anything, but it was nice to just get out and be social. And I can make it look like I'm eating ( hee hee ) I took back a "to go" box filled....... had it for dinner and lunch the next day.

Some days I can eat more than others...... I don't know why this is, but I can.

In the beginning, alot of it is emotional, the wanting to eat just to eat......

You'll get thru this, and once you see the pounds just "melting off"....... be very happy with your sleeve!!

Thanks ladies. I'm sure I'll be fine after I adjust. In spite of all my pre-op reading and preparations it's just such a shock at how little I can eat. I'll give it more time. What choice do I have :thumbup1:.

For a fact, I do enjoy the weight loss. I feel so much better already. I'll focus on that for now.

Thanks again for your encouraging replies!

I could eat 1/2 rack of ribs before my VSG. Now I can eat 2 ribs...had some yesterday and plan to have some more during the Saints game today. Yep. Still like 'em. But I love my weight loss more...the best of both worlds!

Longhorn , I see by your ticker you have lost all the weight... hows the food going? Eating squash? Or back to mini normal...?

Longhorn , I see by your ticker you have lost all the weight... hows the food going? Eating squash? Or back to mini normal...?

Everything is back to normal and has been for several months. The ladies who told me not to worry in those early days were 100% right. It took a couple of months but after that I was able to eat anything and everything. That is still the case. I still fill up fairly quickly which is a good thing. But I can eat a surprising amount sometimes. It realy does vary. Some days I get full pretty fast. Others days I seem to be able to eat more. Of course some foods still fill me up quicker. Breads and potatos are in that category. Other foods I can eat quite a bit.

I could not be happier with everything. Those who did not know me before would now watch me eat and just consider that I'm a fairly light eater and think nothing more of it. And I never had to learn to like squash or the like. I eat man food thank God.

The only negative side effect is that I'm cold all the time. I'm having to take a light jacket with me everywhere. My wife says it's because I've lost all my 'insulation' and that may be true. I used to be pretty warm blooded and never thought about being cold like this.

Thanks for asking. Good luck to you!

Wow awesome thread... longhorn, how are you doing now?