Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sharing my experience for the pre-ops

Hi all,

I am 4 days post-op and so far I've been feeling pretty good. I felt a little weak today but I think it's because I wasn't getting enough calories/protein in. When I had done my pre-op shopping I picked a low-carb shake from my dr's "approved" list because I had tasted them before and liked them. I'm allowed 6 oz of liquid nutrition for the first 2 weeks and I realized that 6 oz of my chosen shake was 60 calories vs 200 or so if I had picked Ensure (also dr approved). So I changed things up and I feel fine again (thankfully!)

As I said, so far, so good. The surgery itself was so much easier than I thought it would be. I had posted on here and OH that I was having a nervous breakdown a few days before. I couldn't stop crying and I was so scared of what would happen. I'm actually glad I got all those emotions out because the day of surgery I felt a calm come over me telling me it would be okay.

I was lucky enough to be first that day so I was at the hospital by 6:30 am and the mask went over me at 7:45 (the clock was the last thing I saw before going under). I was thankful that they kept me moving right along when I got to the hospital because I didn't have time to get nervous or have second thoughts. I was lucky to have my husband and parents with me and even though I know they were very anxious, they were all supportive and while I had a few tears just as they wheeled me away it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

When I got out of surgery I had a catheter and a drain. I had asked the surgeon beforehand if I'd have these things so I knew what to expect. I would recommend asking your doc if they normally use these things because they both would have been quite a shock if I hadn't expected them to be there.

I was on a PCA but I didn't feel a lot of pain. I had wicked nausea when I first got up to my room but they gave me something in my IV right away and the nausea never came back.

Everyone isn't kidding about getting up and walking as soon as you can afterwards. My first walk was a real experience -- I was bloated like I couldn't believe, I had the catheter tube, my drain, the IV, and the PCA and I couldn't walk a straight line! That was the worst of it though, the next 2 times I got up to walk I was much better, I even did the hall myself the last time after the nurse got me up and out of bed.

Don't expect to sleep well. I couldn't get comfortable and it seemed everyone on the floor that night was screaming and yelling. The next day was my leak test and that was actually pretty rough. I was so scared that they'd find a leak and I'd need to go back into surgery. I couldn't get the barium down because I hadn't had anything to drink in 36 hours, and I had a hard time getting on and off the table with the catheter and drain still attached to me. That was the worst part for me.

After the leak test was approved by the radiologist and surgeon, they took the catheter out (yay!). I think they took away my PCA at that point too probably because I hadn't asked for it back when I got to my room. The rest of the day I was on 1 oz of Water per hour and I couldn't believe that I could make the oz last that long but I was very, very cautious about taking tiny sips.

They took the drain out that day and if you have one, it definitely is a weird feeling when it comes out but it is fast and there's no pain at all. Once I had everything off I was free to roam as I pleased.

The surgeon came to see me that afternoon and he said that he had no reason to keep me if I wanted to go home that night. I felt fine so I decided to leave and I'm glad I did. It was good to be in my own bed (although sleeping was still not comfortable) and have the full weekend to recover at home.

I went for walks both Saturday and Sunday and I even felt well enough to go to Target and Border's for a bit. It felt great to get out and be "normal" but the trip wiped me out and I took a good nap.

I bought a body pillow at Target and I would DEFINITELY recommend it as a post-op purchase. I'm a side sleeper so this helps me feel like I'm sleeping on my side if I wedge part of it underneath me but I'm not putting full pressure on my side.

Sipping and walking. It's said all the time here for a reason. I was glad that I had read to walk as much as possible. If I sit for too long I feel lousy and I get up and walk it off instead of dwelling on it.

I'm sure I'll have trying days ahead but for now I'm feeling okay. For all the pre-ops coming up, it's not as bad as you think it will be and I NEVER thought I'd be the one saying that.

Good luck!

Thanks for posting all the little details. It helps those of us that are not yet sleeved, and helps us be that much more prepared.

I see more and more people posting that the surgery was really not a big deal, and that also helps.

Good luck with your recovery. :001_huh:

Thanks so much for sharing. I am hoping to be sleeved in December and it really is so helpful and reassuring to read about your experience. Currently, I am addicted to VSG stories rather than carbs......

Thank you for sharing, I learn so much from all the sleevers that have gone before me. Surg Dec. 4. Continued good luck and speedy healing to you!

Great post.

I bought a body pillow at Target too, before the surgery. I love it...it is as tall as I am long so it really helps me get comfy.

Very informational. Thanks for sharing so much. I'm scheduled to be sleeved on Nov. 11 and your experience is reassuring that my surgery will go well too. I hope you continue forward with a good recovery.

Please keep us informed. :help:

Thankyou so much for sharing your experience. My surgery is scheduled for Nov. 17th and I was starting to get nervous, but after reading your post I feel a lot better. Look forward to hearing your recovery.

Best of luck, Dale and Paula. It will be just fine. I hit a little snag last week when I got a little dehydrated but I'm feeling much, much better. Looking forward to hearing your experiences and seeing our tickers move down over the months to come!