Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fitness Goals

Oh my. . . this is not good news. . . I've been treadmilling now EVERY day for 4-5 months at 3.2 mph for 30 minutes and then stationary bicyle on random hills at level 9 for 15 minutes . . . I have contracted plantar facititis. . . it is very very painful! Podiatrist put me on a medrol pack for 7 days, took the pain away until all the steriods were done then the pain came back double. . . it is sooooo painful. . . doctor thinks it's because of the treadmill. . . surgery is OUT of the question and definately not an option. . . I've taken the steriods already. . . I wear good shoes (new balance for walking) and change them out about every 6 months or so, I take Ibuprofen 800 mg x 4 times per day (yes I have a cast Iron stomach!) and I ice my foot. . . does anyone have any other suggestions as to how to get rid of this horrible pain! Any suggestions will help. . . hope that once I have my surgery it'll help too!

PLEASE BE CAREFUL WITH THAT MUCH IBUPROPHEN, IT WILL WRECK YOUR INTESTINAL TRACK ! Even if you have a cast Iron stomach, you don't have cast iron intestines. I took lots of ibruprophen, about 7 years ago, 4 pills at a time, for times a day for back and leg pain. I was on my feet all the time at work. I started bleeding rectally, and then the pain started in my colon. I was diognosted with ulcerative colitis, and I take meds every day for that. My internalist said they don't know what causes ulcerative colitis, and there is no cure, but ibuprophen certainly contrubuted to and severly aggravated my condition.

When under the care of a physician, the maximum dose of ibuprofen is 3.2 g daily. Otherwise, the maximum dose is 1.2 g daily. Individuals should not use ibuprofen for more than 10 days for the treatment of pain or more than 3 days for the treatment of a fever unless directed by a physician.

SIDE EFFECTS: The most common side effects from ibuprofen are rash, ringing in the ears, headaches, dizziness, drowsiness, abdominal pain, nausea, diarrhea, constipation and heartburn. NSAIDs reduce the ability of blood to clot and therefore increase bleeding after an injury. Ibuprofen may cause ulceration of the stomach or intestine, and the ulcers may bleed. Sometimes, ulceration can occur without abdominal pain, and black, tarry stools, weakness, and dizziness upon standing (orthostatic hypotension) due to bleeding may be the only signs of an ulcer. NSAIDs reduce the flow of blood to the kidneys and impair function of the kidneys. The impairment is most likely to occur in patients who already have impaired function of the kidney or congestive heart failure, and use of NSAIDs in these patients should be cautious. People who are allergic to other NSAIDs, including aspirin, should not use ibuprofen. Individuals with asthma are more likely to experience allergic reactions to ibuprofen and other NSAIDs. Fluid retention (edema), blood clots, heart attacks, hypertension and heart failure have also been associated with the use of NSAIDs.

Research the side effects of Ibprophen. Hope this will prevent this condition happening to you.

I really feel for you.:sad0:

Judy

Vegas, can your doctor prescribe some Nu-naproxin for you? That is what I took for years before my knee replacemants, 375 mg morning and evening kept the inflammation (and consequently much of the pain) down to a manageable level. Ibuprofen helps mask the pain but the naproxin also manages what causes the pain, as one Dr. put it, so I opted for that. You have over the counter Aleve there which is not as strong but better than nothing (contains naproxin as well) Worth a try for the knee!

Cheeers,

Donna:001_cool:

Donna - Aleve does nothing for me at all. I will ask my Ortho about the other - never heard of it. I can say that I hardly take it now for the pain since I've lost my weight. I haven't had cortisone shots for over a year now - and was getting them every 4-6 months. I know the degenerative arthritis I have isn't going to go away and eventually I will have to have bilateral knee replacements; however, losing 50 lbs has helped immensely and can't help but believe that when the other 50 comes off it will do anything other than help too. I will, though, ask my doctor about the drug you suggest. Thanks!

Fitness goals ............ humm.

I guess I never thought of it. I want to do the 3 day breast cancer walk one day. I am not looking foward to my toe nails falling off though. Oh well. I want to be able to run 5 miles a few times a week. I am really not too into doing triathons and stuff. All of my goals are health or weight related.