Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just sleeved and feeling down...

Hello everyone, I was sleeved on the 23rd Sept (almost two weeks now) and i am starting to eat mushy foods now. I am really worried though because since the surgery I have lost hardly any weight whatsoever.

My boyfriend was sleeved 14 months ago and has lost 160lbs to date. He has told me not to worry as the weight loss takes a while to kick in but im finding it hard to believe as i cannot understand if no food is going in, then why am i not losing weight.

Any help/advise would be great

Claire.

Edited by Claire

Hi Claire, and welcome to our forums. We are glad to have you here with us.

One of the first things to remember, is don't compare your weight loss to others. Everyone is different, everyone loses differently, and everyone's body reacts differently to surgery.

Your body is going through a lot of changes right now. It went through the shock of surgery, the pre-op diet and now the post-op diet. You may still be retaining a lot of fluids as well. I wouldn't worry about weight loss right now, just concentrate on healing and recovering from your surgery. I am sure the weight will start dropping soon as long as you are following the food plan as prescribed to you by your surgeon and are exercising.

I'm sorry you're feeling down. Your boyfriend is correct in saying give it time. You are also right in that you are taking in so much less, you will have to lose weight. It WILL happen. My surgeon told me not to even step on the scale until I came in for my first follow-up visit and I actually listened to directions for once (well almost). Good luck through this stage and CONGRATULATIONS on the weight you have already lost! (You did mention that you haven't lost much, but that does mean you've lost some, right?)

Welcome,

I just wanted to lend support to you. I felt down right after being sleeved as well. As your BF said, it takes time and everyone's body is different. WE all must hang in there and do the best that we can with our sleeve.

Welcome to our forum Claire. You are just 2 weeks out from your surgery - your body may very well be retaining Fluid from the IV - hang in there and once you're on mushies, getting in your fluids and your body is adjusting to it's new stomach, your weight will start to drop off. Hang in there and don't compare yourself to your BF - men always lose faster than women!

Hi Claire- Welcome to the boards!

I just want to shed a little light on something-I had ALOT of weight to lose -almost 200 pounds- so I am going to lose faster than someone who only has 100 to lose.

I lost most of my weight in the first months- because you can't maintain 350 pounds on only 3-500 calories a day. But now that I am farther out- my weight loss has slowed down- my calories have increase- but I also need to exercise more to help move things along ( somehthing I am still so bad at! )

Your boyfriend probably fell into my catagory- so of course he's gonna lose much more and faster-

Just work on following the "rules"- drink your fluids- eat your Protein FIRST- work on exercise and it will all come together!

G'Luck- but don't compare! You are you! And like everyone said- we are all different!

I am glad you came to talk about your feelings. I hope you stay around! All bodies are different. For example I lost a lot of weight right after surgery and now I am going on a 3 week stall. I was crying last night over it. Even my husband was like you will start to lose weight again, how can you not? You eat 4 oz of food!

I promise hon it is going to happen. Your body has been through so much. Have faith and love yourself.

I agree with everything that has already been said and can't really add much other than support. It will come off. Your body has been shocked into hanging onto it at the moment but you will start losing soon so stop fretting x

Hey Beautiful...ditto ditto ditto to what has already been shared. Each day I have to remind myself to just continue creating new healthy habits. Try and let go of "the scale" and focus on your new life so that you do not stress over the "weight". That is part of our old self...THE scale...aaaahhh!

Healing is first...then getting on a healthy routine. One of the things that really really helped me is to go through this discussion board and read. It will help you prepare mentally for what is happening. Your feelings right now are true for you and the same feelings were true for others...welcome to a new NORMAL;-) Seriously...this is a great group of folks with lots of experience and support..

Welcome to a new you!:001_unsure:

Caro

Hello everyone, I was sleeved on the 23rd Sept (almost two weeks now) and i am starting to eat mushy foods now. I am really worried though because since the surgery I have lost hardly any weight whatsoever.

My boyfriend was sleeved 14 months ago and has lost 160lbs to date. He has told me not to worry as the weight loss takes a while to kick in but im finding it hard to believe as i cannot understand if no food is going in, then why am i not losing weight.

Any help/advise would be great

Claire.

Hi Claire,

Your boyfriend has that male metabolism, guys just lose more, and lose faster than women. It's totally unfair. My best friend's a guy and we've dieted together, he ALWAYS drops more.

I agree with everybody else on the wait, you HAVE to lose weight eventually. Is it close to that time of the month for you? Maybe you're retaining some water/iv fluids.

I think I've said this but it's worth repeating..Dr A has us do 2 weeks of high Protein low carb. I did a classic Atkins induction, only cheated one day, and it was with pecans. Went right into ketosis and lost...nothing. Not one little ounce. I just about cancelled my surgery! But I weighed for the first time post op today, (9 days out) and yup, I'm starting to lose weight. Sheesh! Bodies can be very weird things.

Ivy

I am so glad I signed up. I was feeling low and hopeless. I have only lost 9 lbs since 9/28/09 . I feel discouraged. Well, at least I did till now. Thanks:)

Don't compare yourself to others and DEFINITELY don't compare yourself to men, because they lose so much easier due to their physique. As long as you are following the diet and exercise prescribed by your surgeon, you will begin to lose as soon as your body is ready. Watch your sodium intake too!

I gained 2 lbs overnight one time after having a lot of broth that was too high in sodium one day. My body is salt sensitive. Lo sodium broth is best for some of us. Don't give up. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other.