Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I think I'm convinced....

Hey Everybody! I have enjoyed reading all the posts on here. Until a week ago I was convinced that I wanted the Lap Band, but after reading posts of people on here and other sites that have had problems with it I have decided I better switch to the sleeve.

Also I am self-pay and cannot afford to have more than one surgery. And I am currently living in Nicaragua as a missionary and they do not offer the lap band here. I can get the sleeve for $5,500 including everything. I visited one doctor today. He said it would be a team of 3 surgeons. He told me that I wouldn't need to do a pre-op diet. Just maybe 2 days before. Does that sound right? I'm 240lbs. and he said that because I wasn't super overweight it wasn't necessary.

Also after the operation he said it would be 2 weeks of liquid, then 2 weeks of puree and then 2 more weeks of stuff like smashed potatoes then I could begin on solid foods. Does that should right to you guys?

I kind of liked the idea of the band because it wasn't permanent. Do any of you guys regret getting the sleeve?

Any help or suggestions that you can give me would be greatly appreciated!

Sounds like the same things my surgeon would have recommended. Best of luck to you!

Charity -

Back in early June, I was right where you are. I was self pay and started out wanting the LapBand, simply because it wasn't permanent. However, after hanging out on LapBandTalk and ObesityHelp forums, I discovered lots of people who were struggling with the band. Then I found others, that had to pay for a second surgery to have it removed. Somewhere in there, I heard about the Sleeve. While hesitant at first to do something I thought at the time was "so drastic and permanent", I quickly learned from the different websites that people who were sleeved seemed to have a much better quality of life. Once through the recovery phase, the worry of something going wrong, went away. Once your healed with the sleeve, you are basically healed. With the band, things could be going great for months or even years and then some people start having problems. Some problems required surgery to fix, others just required the patient to just "live with it". The more "invasive" sleeve surgery, didn't seem as invasive as a second surgery to remove the band. I am a constant worrier. I worried for 2 weeks post-op that something would go wrong, it didn't. I couldn't imagine worrying about my LapBand ongoing.

When I thought of WLS, my ideal surgery was one where I could eat what I want, but just could only eat much less than before. For the most part, that was the Sleeve. Of coarse with the sleeve you need to eat lots of Protein, keep your carbs down and fat low, but if I really want the popcorn at the movies, I can have it with the sleeve. Just much less of it.

I am currently 9 weeks post op. I have lost over 50 lb since pre-op diet and LOVE MY SLEEVE. Today I have had the following to eat: Protein shake for Breakfast, 1/2 chicken breast with 4cherry tomatoes for lunch, a Protein Bar for afternoon snack, 2oz steak with 5 green Beans and 1 tbsp mac and cheese (I couldn't resist) for dinner. No problems, not hungry, and most importantly, I feel satisfied.

Love my sleeve! go for it. :001_huh:

Everything you wrote sounds about right to me!

Charity -

Back in early June, I was right where you are. I was self pay and started out wanting the LapBand, simply because it wasn't permanent. However, after hanging out on LapBandTalk and ObesityHelp forums, I discovered lots of people who were struggling with the band. Then I found others, that had to pay for a second surgery to have it removed. Somewhere in there, I heard about the Sleeve. While hesitant at first to do something I thought at the time was "so drastic and permanent", I quickly learned from the different websites that people who were sleeved seemed to have a much better quality of life. Once through the recovery phase, the worry of something going wrong, went away. Once your healed with the sleeve, you are basically healed. With the band, things could be going great for months or even years and then some people start having problems. Some problems required surgery to fix, others just required the patient to just "live with it". The more "invasive" sleeve surgery, didn't seem as invasive as a second surgery to remove the band. I am a constant worrier. I worried for 2 weeks post-op that something would go wrong, it didn't. I couldn't imagine worrying about my LapBand ongoing.

When I thought of WLS, my ideal surgery was one where I could eat what I want, but just could only eat much less than before. For the most part, that was the Sleeve. Of coarse with the sleeve you need to eat lots of Protein, keep your carbs down and fat low, but if I really want the popcorn at the movies, I can have it with the sleeve. Just much less of it.

I am currently 9 weeks post op. I have lost over 50 lb since pre-op diet and LOVE MY SLEEVE. Today I have had the following to eat: Protein shake for Breakfast, 1/2 chicken breast with 4cherry tomatoes for lunch, a Protein Bar for afternoon snack, 2oz steak with 5 green Beans and 1 tbsp mac and cheese (I couldn't resist) for dinner. No problems, not hungry, and most importantly, I feel satisfied.

Amen to that!

Charity

Welcome to the forum, we're happy you have found us and I think you will be happier with the sleeve than with the band. I never had the band; however from reading about those on here who did have it and went through a revision to the sleeve, I'm glad I found out about the sleeve before going through with the band.

Everything your doctor told you sounds right to me. Keep us posted on how things are going and if you have any other questions, be sure to ask!

Hi Charity, glad to have you join us. As a former bandster, I will attest to how much happier I am with my sleeve. Don't get me wrong, I am not anti-band by any means. And for those it works well for, I couldn't be happier for them. I had many problems with my band. And in terms of after care, you are looking at fills and unfills, etc. for the rest of your life. With the sleeve, you get it and you are done. You have perfect restriction. I love it.

I liked the idea of the sleeve immediately, because it was permanent. Why would I want to get fat ever again? I asked myself.

I never even looked into any other weight loss surgery, noticed it on the boards but knew in my heart this was right for me! Only a week out from my sleeve and already I'm feeling less sluggish, notice the weight loss in my face and hands, my fingers are starting to look graceful! Yeah!

I would do it again in a heartbeat! I feel happy!

Welcome Charity! I definitely do not regret getting the sleeve. Like you, I began researching the band and then decided it was not the best surgery for me. I am so happy that I made this decision and wish you luck in yours.

Hey Guys! Thanks for all your replies! I went to see my doctor again today and talked to him about a date. I can't believe I'm really going to do this! It looks like it is going to happen on Oct. 20th! That's just around the corner, but my mom is visiting from the states and she will be here and would like to be here when I get it done. She is also helping me pay for it.

So, my doctor said that I really don't need to do a pre-op diet. Only the day before.

The surgery will be performed by a team of 3 surgeons. Is that how they usually do it in the states?

Before the surgery I need to have blood tests and I need to have an Endoscopy of my stomach that the doctor will perform. I have to be put to sleep for this... :-(

My biggest fear about all of this is being but to sleep. That probably sounds crazy. I have never been put to sleep before and for some reason I've always had a fear of that... I guess it's not that bad is it?

I'm so excited about this! I'm 27 years old and I have been overweight my whole life! I've been on and off diets since I was 10 years old. I have never been the yo yo dieter. I have always dieted and just never lost. Well, one time I lost 40lbs with the Atkins diet, but eventually gained it back and it never worked for me again. I think the main problem is I have hypothyroidism and even though I take medicine every day it's just not the same...

I had my surgery done in Mexicali, MX and there was only one surgeon. I think it is done the same in the states, but can't say for sure.

I didn't have to have the endoscopy; although I can relate to your fear of being put under anesthesia for it - I had never had surgery that required me to be put out before I had the sleeve. It truly isn't bad at all - it's like you've gone to sleep and then you wake up -- talk to the anesthesiologist about it though and let him know your fears.

Welcome! I am 29 years old & 3 months out from VSG. Best thing I've done! I love my sleeve & am so glad I discovered it before getting a LapBand! I was self pay as well.

Everything your dr has told you seems reasonable. I wasn't required to do a pre-op diet at all...my BMI was 34.5. The post-op diet was 10 days Clear liquids, 10 days full liquids, 10 days mushies, then slowly transition to solid foods.

Good luck!

I agree with you. I too was set on getting the LapBand, but fortunately since I've been forced to wait it out 6 mos thru my Kaiser Options program, I've had the good sense to switch to the sleeve. I am still waiting for my surgery date, but thanks to all the great information I've seen on this forum, I feel ready and well prepared.

I love hearing about everybody's surgery experiences and helpful information about what to expect. For instance, I know I will stall in week 3, thanks to reading about it here, and I will expect it now. And just the other day I learned about blue farts! ha ha...

Good luck on your surgery, and I hope to be able to share my story soon.

HI everyone! I'm so glad I found a topic to see how satisfied everyone is with their sleeve surgeries! My Mom is Stoongal (above) she will be accompanying me to Mexico to have my sleeve done in January! Without her love and support I wouldn't be able to do this! I am excited and scared and hopeful and worried about my future after the surgery, but having my Mom go through it already, and for her to be able to come with me to give her love and support while I go through it myself is SO reassuring! As is reading what everyone has to say about their experiences!!

I was hoping to hear if anyone ever regretted their decision to have the surgery, a year, two years even three years post surgery? How have their lives changed? Has it been hard? Have they had anyone react negatively to them having the surgery?

I would love to hear what people have to say!

Thanks!! =)