Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well, I am back home from Mexicali and feeling great. I am amazed that I have NO pain today... Only one time , when I sneezed this morning, all my little incisions "smarted" for a few seconds but that was it. The first day after surgery I did have some esophageal spasms that were uncomfortable but the staff provided very fast pain relief any time it was needed. I've never seen such fast response times for pain medication in a hospital in the USA.

It seemed at first that I would not make it to the surgery at all. My plane was turned around and sent back to my home town after 45 minutes of taking off...storms deflected our landing in Houston. But I was able to contact a really nice Continental representative who at first sadly assured me that there were no other flights available because everyone was trying to reschedule in Houston. This was distressing but I was determined nothing would stop me from reaching this goal. So I told her I was due to have surgery the next day at my destination, and she immediately shifted into "first gear". She worked for over a half hour to find me a seat! I also called Monica who was my coordinator, to advise her of the delay, and she arranged for a hotel room in San Diiego for the night, and rearranged transportation to Mexicali. The pre-surgery instructions were right on target, advising to keep those phone numbers handy...it worked like clockwork and I'm sure they handle problems like this all the time. Because of this I was able to relax and enjoy the rest of my flight to San Diego, knowing that everything was taken care of.

I was able to get to San Diego around 7:30 PM, was taken to the hotel, then Ernesto, (Dr Aceves' driver) picked me up the next morning and we "flew low" (130 km/hr which I thought was mph at first until he reassured me it was not (we had some laughs over that) to the hospital where I was swept off to the lab immediately, then to xray, then to surgery pronto after some pre-op meds, quick consults with the coordinator, internist, anesthesiologist, and Dr Aceves. . It didn't give me time to get nervous at all. I was amazed that I felt as cool as a cucumber rolling into the surgery suite. They wrapped my legs to prevent DVT (blood clots), I chatted with the anesthesiologist a bit, and the " lights went out. "

I don't even remember being in recovery and woke up with little pain in my room as I recall (that part's kind of blurry".) Dr. Aceves did a hiatal hernia repair as well as the sleeve, which can cause more spasms than having just the sleeve alone. However I had a spinal plus general anesthesia and I think that made a big difference. I was able to continue to receive spina med dosing periodically because the spinal catheter was left in place. I'm sure this prevented a lot of pain from even poking up its' naughty little head. I slept well at night and did not even need the sleeping pills that were offered. The medical team is highly skilled at what they do and pain control seems to be a priority...much appreciated you can bet that.

Starting the day after surgery, I walked the halls, and after passing the leak test started sipping clears..sip...burp...sip...burp...just remember to let the burp come up before another little sip and you don't have the esophageal spasm. (which passes, but who needs it?) I probably erred on the side of not drinking quite enough but did not want to get the vomits...and luckily avoided that except for the second afternoon when I did not take pain meds soon enough (thinking I was fine)...and a spasm hit me which caused a very little upchucking...but a prompt shot of something or other stopped that right away. I think it was toradol and benadryl...not sure. (I love toradol by the way...no pain, and all your neurons are intact!)

The most welcome sight after passing the leak test was the chicken broth. Absolutely divine! I liked it so much, even got a "to go" cup when I left this morning at 7 AM. The flights home were uneventful, thank goodness, and I am home now, with energy to spare. Dr. Aceves provides a supply of toradol and nexium at discharge, and I took one of each this morning just so I would not have any problems on the trip...It's 10:30 PM and I am still pain free, feeling like I never had surgery. What a miracle.

Doing all my "homework" about this ahead of time I am sure helped a lot! THANKS TO ALL YOU EXPERIENCED SLEEVERS who shared your experiences. It goes without saying that the professionalism, well-organized system, and kindness of the team at the hospital was also a great factor in lending confidence that all would be well in spite of any difficulties.

Now the fun starts...watching the new me emerge.

Thanks Cajun for the recap. I am glad you're home and doing so well!

Congratulations Cajun! I'm so glad things went well. I too had my hiatal hernia repaired during my sleeve procedure and was relieved to know that it was repaired. Thank you so much for detailing your experience. It is so helpful to know what other people are going through and how they are handling it. Like many other "sleevers" your attitude is great and that really helps me put things inside my busy head into perspective at times. I'll be looking out for all your posts. BTW I was 232, after pre op diet 215 and now I'm 208.

Thanks Lan2k,

Wow, you are losing the pounds! Congrats!

I am looking forward to that!

Cathryn

I'm so glad to hear that your surgery went so well. It makes me feel a little less nervous about it all. Looking forward to hearing all about your progress.

Ky Hen,

I hope that you will do fine too. I only wish I could have been there with y'all because I can tell you are going to have a ball with the gang all together. I had several others there during my stay as well and will continue to keep in touch with a couple of them who have common interests. Really nice people. We helped each other out...shared computers to get email, and I shared my heating pad...it was helpful the first few days.

It's still summertime hot there and sometimes during the day it got warm in my room so ask for a fan if you need one. Also take a pair of summer PJs as well as a pair for when the AC is on and it gets cold. It varies. If I got hot I seemed to get a bit nauseated so try to keep cool.

It's a private hospital with very nice decor.

Cajun

Congrat Catherine!

It was great to see all the details of your trip and surgery.

I sent an e-mail to the Dr.'s office where I was referred in Nova Scotia (I live in Prince Edward Island) to see if they have any idea of time frames. On OH I have read people talking about 5 - 7 years......

Everytime I see a successful, happy returnee who self paid it makes me think....maybe....

Keep up the good work and take care,

Nancy

Congrats Cajun. Glad everything went well (we knew it would) and the fun begins in about 3 weeks when you get to eat mushies and you see the scale moving down on a regular basis.

Hey VegasAngel, I was sleeved on 9/15...My surgeon told me I could start on "full liquids" by Tuesday, 9/29 or Wed, 9/30. I'm counting the seconds till Tuesday because I'm sooooooooooooo hungry and weak. Do you think the 2 week mark is too soon? I hope not. I don't think I can make it another week on clears. I need Protein and am having trouble with the whey etc. :mad:

Thanks Cajun! I wish you could have been with us too. But you already have yours over with and are on your way. Thank you for the tips on the weather. It has been really humid and nasty here the last few days.

Hey VegasAngel, I was sleeved on 9/15...My surgeon told me I could start on "full liquids" by Tuesday, 9/29 or Wed, 9/30. I'm counting the seconds till Tuesday because I'm sooooooooooooo hungry and weak. Do you think the 2 week mark is too soon? I hope not. I don't think I can make it another week on clears. I need Protein and am having trouble with the whey etc. :mad:

Dr. Aceves had me do Clear liquids for 10 days; full liquids (tomato Soup, Protein shakes with milk (very thin); oatmeal (thinned), SF pudding, etc. for 10 days, then mushies for 10 days, then soft solids ... because of the issue I have with a spasming esophogus, he had me stay on mushies even longer.

So I think you'll be fine to start on full liquids next week - probably now actually -- 10 days on clears for me started the day after my surgery. If you had your surgery on 9/15, then 9/16 + 10 is 9/26. You'll feel better once you're on full liquids.

The good, the bad, and the ugly...here's some ugly:

Had a rough night last night. I started testing out some Isopure clear when I got home from my trip, but diluted it with Water because it tasted so strong. After almost a week of no Protein I thought it was a good idea. That's what I get for thinking! After I went to bed, my new little sleeve had a fit! It woke me up two hours later, returning the nasty stuff that I had fed it! It was the worst feeling...I coughed and gagged on the stuff for a while, and took a vow against Isopure for a while!!! Back to plain old Vitamin Water once my sleeve has a rest for a few hours! Gotta keep it happy!

Also had noticed my legs and feet were swollen after the return flight home, and had gained some pounds of water weight. I had cut my BP pills in half before leaving for Mexicali because I was having occasional dizzy spells when I stood up, and my BP readings were normalized, I suspected it was dropping because I had lost 17 lbs :patriot: Then I totally stopped taking it while in Mexicali because my BP had dropped WAY lower than normal, probably due to all the post-op medications. But I checked it this morning and it is back up at borderline high, :patriot: so I restarted on the 1/2 dose. Am already getting rid of some Fluid from my legs and feel better. I have an appt. with my internist next week (she's been in Europe so I've been "self-doctoring) to be sure everything is looking OK. I think she will be surprised at the wt. loss already.

Am also having LOTS of gas at both ends now...so I "hit the chewable GASX" and took a nap late this morning, finally feel a bit better ...probably will be seeing (beware TMI) some peacock poop soon.

Two steps forward, one step back. Oh well!

Cajun, glad to hear the surgery went well and you had a good experience. As for Isopure, I couldn't tolerate it or any of the Protein Drinks. You really need to go slow and learn what your body is going to like and what it isn't. The gas isn't fun, do lots of walking, that is the best way to get rid of it.

Susan,

If you could not tolerate ANY Protein drinks, what did you have for Protein during the clear and full liquids phases?

Thanks for your input.

Cajun, glad to hear the surgery went well and you had a good experience. As for Isopure, I couldn't tolerate it or any of the Protein Drinks. You really need to go slow and learn what your body is going to like and what it isn't. The gas isn't fun, do lots of walking, that is the best way to get rid of it.

I gave up worring about Protein for the first week. It was difficult to drink anything much less protein that didn't taste so good. I just focussed on getting at least 48 oz of Fluid in- it has gotten easier every day. Tomorrow I start on full liquids so I can have my Protein Shakes with skim milk and my yogurt!! wooo hoooo!!!!