Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgeon is a big fat liar!

Today is my first day on slush and mush. I was sitting here eating some canned tuna. I eat it with my fingers (which I'm sure will gross many of you out) I put it in my mouth a pinch at a time. Without thinking, I took a swig of crystal lite and HELLO! Now I know what sliming is. A few minutes later, that food came right back up for another look. Ugh.

I keep reading on here about people who get banded yet continue to eat like there's no restriction at all. I've read about some who have even gained weight before their first adjustment because they are still eating "regular" food. I am now convinced that my doctor is a big fat liar. I think he filled my band right up to the tippy top. I just don't think it's normal to PB when you don't even have a fill. Good grief!

I have not had my first fill yet, but have had the golf ball and sliming. I cannot eat bread, which is something I love but probably good that I can't eat it because I used to eat a lot with my meals.

LOL. It's very normal. Truth is, SOME folks have immediate restriction and some just wished they did. You could still be swollen, or you may actually get to start out with restriction. Rejoice, my friend! Now go forth with caution my banded friend!

You are NORMAL! The band - all by itself with no fill - often offers a good amount of restriction by itself for some people. I was tight from the very beginning with no fill, as were many others. You can PB with no saline in your band. One of the number one rules is Do Not Drink with Meals. Oh my gosh, the worst pain ever is trying to use liquid to push down a piece of stuck food during a PB.

My best advice is not to ignore your surgeon's rules and advice, but instead start asking about what all the other surgeons require after banding. There are many different opinions so I took all of them and tossed them in a blender with my own common sense then added advice and stories from those who were banded before me. Be thankful you found this forum - keep reading to find all the rules to keep you comfy and safe. Good luck.

I had plenty of restriction before my first fill (it only began to taper off the week before the fill, about week 5), and lost heaps of weight because of it.

I agree with the other Bandsters.

Yes, you can "slime" even when your band is unfilled. If your band was truly filled at the surgery point, you would definitely know it. I think what you experienced was not that uncommon - so you just got an early indication of how fickle the band can be!

Tuna is one of those things that some Bandsters have a bit of trouble with. It's a good source of Protein but right after banding it might pose a challenge. Some long term banded folk can't take the chunks or flakes in tuna even after some time. As you get more filled, you might have to alter how you each it, even with the pinches. I tolerate it fine but I also eat mine with a bit of lubrication (low fat mayo or Miracle Whip, etc) since I have some fill.

Happy Band (and Life) Journeys To All...

sleepyjean, the others are correct in saying that this is normal. You may not have great restriction but can still PB on things if you're not careful. I had my first PB on a cinnamon roll prior to my 1st fill. Take it easy and be good to yourself.

I am looking forward to my banding on June 8th. Have seen the surgeon, nutritionist, physical therapy gal and psychiatrist and had the blood tests and chest x-ray etc. Now after tomorrows second visit with the psyc they will send the records in to the insurance company for approval. That is the big deal. I hope they will cover it. I have heard great things come from this surgery. I know it will invlove many changes in what can be eaten, but I am really ready for this change.

I had my worst PB before I had a fill.

Another "super-tight from the get-go" bandster here. I waited 3 months for my first fill. Listen to your body. Your band calls the shots now. And don't swig Crystal Light after nibbling tuna. Ooops!

I am another tight banded person without a fill. I just went to see my doc and he say no fill for me - due to my current restrictions - he says sometimes it takes months before you loosen enough for a fill. But Always follow the golden rule - "no liquids with meals"

Deb