Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thinking of getting the Sleeve ... need more info

Called my old doc today and left him a message. Hopefully he will be willing to write me a letter saying that I have tried these diet programs and I can move forward.

Also I have another question that i have not got a clear answer on. With the sleeve, once you heal can you have leaks down the road? This is really my only other concern. Im talking like months or years down the road. Can the staples being left in your stomach cause you any problems either down the road?

Called my old doc today and left him a message. Hopefully he will be willing to write me a letter saying that I have tried these diet programs and I can move forward.

Also I have another question that i have not got a clear answer on. With the sleeve, once you heal can you have leaks down the road? This is really my only other concern. Im talking like months or years down the road. Can the staples being left in your stomach cause you any problems either down the road?

I dont think so. I think that its mainly the first month the people have to worry about leaks. But I am not sure. Maybe one of the people who have already gotten sleeved can answer that one :001_smile:

Mac knows a lot about leaks. Maybe she will weigh in on the leaks.

I asked my doctor about the staples and did research on them. They are made of titanium (at least mine are) and you can have an MRI later, in fact my tattoo has more of a chance of causing me a problem in an MRI than the staples. Also you will not set off the metal detectors. Your stomach kind of heals around the staples so within 6 months that can't be seen if someone was looking inside you.

Mac knows a lot about leaks. Maybe she will weigh in on the leaks.

I asked my doctor about the staples and did research on them. They are made of titanium (at least mine are) and you can have an MRI later, in fact my tattoo has more of a chance of causing me a problem in an MRI than the staples. Also you will not set off the metal detectors. Your stomach kind of heals around the staples so within 6 months that can't be seen if someone was looking inside you.

Not to change the subject, but how can I put one of those trackers on my posts?

Called my OLD doctor today and he called me back.. He is going to send me a letter saying that I was enrolled in the Medifast Program. Although he says he doesnt have any data from that program, like weighins and such.

Do you think this will be enough If i also write the other programs I have tried on the questionnaire?

Called my OLD doctor today and he called me back.. He is going to send me a letter saying that I was enrolled in the Medifast Program. Although he says he doesnt have any data from that program, like weighins and such.

Do you think this will be enough If i also write the other programs I have tried on the questionnaire?

YES!:tongue_smilie:Dont wreck your brain .. you are in!! :001_smile: They really arent even going to ask for your letter. YOu just watch and see. They did the same thing to us, and at the end just took the questioneers and gave then called us and gave us our first class date. DONT WORRY! YOu are in, especially with your co-morbidities .. :sad0:

A bit nervous. Monday is my meeting with the Kaiser people. I have the questionare all filled out, but I dont have the papers for the prior weight loss attempts they say I need. Some people have said not to worry that they wont ask for them or need them but im still worried. Usually with my luck I will get asked for them or something.

Anyway anyone know what will happen at this meeting? When do they tell you if your in the program?

Upset and need advice....

Well they asked me for all that information reguarding 6 months of monitored diet program. Since I didnt have it they took my forms and said they would wait for me to get the documents, OR for my Primary at Kaiser to send then an E-Referal that will inform the program people to enroll me without the documentation.

Also they talked about this company they contract with here in San Diego called Pacific Bariatrics, they perform the RNY or Lapband for Kaiser. Pacific Baratrics does not perform the sleeve... When I asked they lady here about the sleeve she said it would not be an option, and when I told her they perform this surgery up at Kaiser in LA she said it would be up to your surgeon to recommend you for that surgery if there was a reason medically. Basically saying that we cant choose the surgery we want its up to the surgeon to decide lapband or RNY.

I am so frustrated, I knew this would not be easy.. How can a surgeon at pacific baratrics which doesn't perform the Sleeve recommend me for a surgery they don't provide. Kikiphiasmom I hope you are doing well, if you can I would really love to talk with you more about this as you are the only person I have found that has Kaiser and had the sleeve.

No, they will let you choose your surgery, don't worry. They will constantly warn you that it's always up to the surgeon. I really think they say this just for liability reasons, so you can't say you were given any medical advice by them because they aren't doctors that teach the classes.

Pacific Bariatric is just one of the places that Kaiser uses as a contracted surgery center for bariatric surgery. They don't do the sleeve there, but you can certainly get the sleeve at another Kaiser location. Many more Kaiser hospitals are doing their own surgeries now such as Harbor City and West Los Angeles. And honestly, by the time you finish Options, I bet there will be one closer to San Diego.

Don't get discouraged. I'm sure they told you that it would be some 3 month wait to get into the next Options class, and they'll end up calling you in 2 weeks and ask if you can start. And honestly, the people that give the Options classes, aren't that well-informed about the actually surgery centers. You'll be fine, you just have to be patient to wait it out.

Hi, well from what I understood from the seminar I attended Doctor stated that if you don't leak within the first week, your not going to. . . so that might be reassuring, I know it was for me. . . .but I would still be careful not to over stretch my new tummy (just in case)